Author Topic: CONWAY 0-4-0 3 1/2" GAUGE LOCO  (Read 174369 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: CONWAY 0-4-0 3 1/2" GAUGE LOCO
« Reply #480 on: June 06, 2018, 08:28:26 PM »
Hi Rich - just sent you the file.
 :cheers:

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #481 on: June 06, 2018, 08:44:53 PM »
But add those 5 items together and it comes to £142.24, soon mounts up. A complete set of castings comes in at a whopping £700.00.

I know  :-X Some of the casting sets they don't quote the complete set like on the commander and my Royal Scot (Kings Own)  as they are well into four figures plus some  :toilet_claw:

Jo

P.S. I have the gunmetal cylinder casting set on my Royal Scot which they don't even quote any more  :paranoia:
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #482 on: June 06, 2018, 10:57:33 PM »
Well done Chris!
Thanks for passing it on.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #483 on: June 07, 2018, 08:16:08 PM »
Hi

I have just read the article, some interesting ideas there. It looks like a large milling machine he has, I doubt mine could cope with such large cutters. But coupled with a few ideas I have I think  I might be able to do it.

Cheers

Rich

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #484 on: June 14, 2018, 08:40:39 PM »
Hi

I have had a bit of a break from loco building to build a bit of kit that I need for loco building :shrug:

Its a sheet metal folder. I looked at the commercially available ones but mostly they specify a maximum material thickness of 1mm. I have some 1/16" brass sheet which is 1.6mm so I decided to build my own which will hopefully handle 2mm. The internet provided lots of ideas the best of which I think is this type. I made it from 2 pieces of 4" x 4" angle iron 18" long. A trial on the 1/16" brass was a success proving very easy to bend.

I didn't take too many photos but if anyone would like some more info just shout up

Cheers

Rich

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #485 on: June 14, 2018, 09:47:48 PM »
That looks like a mighty fine and simple bender Rick and I for one would like a bit more info if you please.

The loco is progressing fine too.

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #486 on: June 17, 2018, 09:28:39 AM »
Hi

Ok heres a few details of the folder.

2 x 18" lengths of 100mm x 100mm x 10mm angle iron. Its not precise stuff and varies along its length but thats of no matter what did concern me was there is quite a radius along the outer corner which had I left it would have produced not such a sharp bend so I skimmed a bit off just one face of each piece. It took a bit of doing. I originally tried to do it with a fly cutter but the surface of the angle iron is quite hard and was too much for the milling machine so I resorted to a 16mm cutter

The pivot point must be centred exactly on the point where the two angle irons meet. I used some 5/8" round steel bar, in the lathe and centre drilled as a guide.

3 Pieces of 8mm thick steel bar were prepared for each side (6 in total). The hole in the 2 inner pieces is slightly under  5/8" so that the 5/8" steel bar was a good tight press fit. These 2 pieces were then welded to the 100 x 100 angle iron. 2 pieces each side drilled 5/8" are bolted to pices of angle iron welded to the other 100 x 100 to form the hinge

I must say at this point my welding is awful  :embarassed: I was given an old mig welder that sort of works ok when it feels like it but its good enough for rough jobs

2 pieces of square steel tube are welded to the underside of the moveable jaw for the operating handles to fit into. 2 furthe pieces of angle iron are welded to the rear hinge bar. These have 12mm holes drilled in them to accept 12mm bolts for the gantry. The fixed jaw is drilled and tapped 8mm in four places and has 4 x 8mm studs fitted which pass through holes drilled in my bench for mounting it solidly. The gantry is a length of heavy steel square tube drilled 12mm at each end and sits on 2 steel tubes slipped over the mounting bolts. The gantry is drilled along its length 10mm and has nuts welded on underneath. A set of T bar bolts made from 10mm studding.

The clamping bar is 50mm x 50mm x 6mm angle iron. In the mill mounted across two angle blocks it has its bottom faces machined to remove the radius and give a sharper fold

6 blocks of 25mm x 25mm steel mached to sit on top of the angle iron 94 shown)

Another piece of the 50mm x 50mm angle is also machined the same. To form boxes pieces of this one will be cut off to the required length.

Finally a coat of green paint

Its a bit on the heavy side but it works well

Cheers

Rich

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #487 on: June 20, 2018, 09:45:46 PM »
Hi

Back on page 25 I mentioned automatic drain cocks. After a bit of doodling  :atcomputer: this is the design I came up with

I need 4 for Conway plus there is a Juliet and a Chub and a Simplex waiting in the wings and when I mentioned it to my mate Julian he said while you are at it you might as well make a dozen for me  :facepalm:

So a bit of thought went into a production run. First up was the body. I have several drill chucks for the lathe so one was set up with a 3/16" drill and another has a 7/32 x 40 tap. Drill 3/16" to a depth of 7/8" and then tap 7/32" x 40. I set up a depth stop on the topslide so I could part off the 1" length, 24 of them  :ShakeHead:

Followed by 24 short lengths of 3/16" brass rod drilled through 1/6" and threaded 3/16" x 40

Each brass body was set up in the mill using the edge of the vise as a datum and cross drilled and tapped 3/16" x 40. Sorry no photo of this op. Each body has one of the 3/16" x 40 pieces screwed in a couple of threads and silver soldered.

Some 7/32" brass rod is threaded 7/32" x 40 and 24 short pieces cut off. 24 Brass nuts tapped 7/32" x 40 made. Each nut has a piece screwed in about half way and silver soldered

Drill and tap a bit of scrap steel 7/32" x 40. Screw in the caps and face, then drill 1/16"

The caps differ from the drawing slightly. As an after thought we decided to have a bit of thread on the outside to attach a short length of copper pipe to if desired.

A bit of red paint

A 1/8" stainless steel ball fitted into each one and tested by pushing a drinking straw onto the thread and blowing. Amazingly the ball shuts the valve off.

Cheers

Rich

« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 09:49:29 PM by Firebird »

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #488 on: June 20, 2018, 10:02:10 PM »
Pretty neat.

I don't quite understand how such a thing works. Would you mind?

Also, I'm wondering why you made the nut/rods in two pieces instead of one.
Is it because you'd have to hold onto a threaded end in order to do the other?
Would it have been possible to make a jig with a threaded hole to hold one threaded end while doing the other?

Thanks.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #489 on: June 20, 2018, 10:06:08 PM »
Thank you very much Rich for showing how you made your sheet brake and the rest of the thread too  :praise2:

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #490 on: June 21, 2018, 01:26:16 PM »
Hi

No problem Admiral_dk :ThumbsUp:

Carl, the drawing on page 26 has a fairly good explanation as to how they work.

Yes I could have made all the caps as one piece. But that would mean more operations and tool changes. Turn down and screw cut some hex brass. Part off. Fit mandrel to chuck. Screw part in. Turn down and screw cut. Drill through.

Much easier to drill and tap some hex and part off 24 nuts. Thread some rod and part off 24 pieces. Silver solder together.
Screw into mandrel and drill through.

Cheers

Rich

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #491 on: June 24, 2018, 12:16:23 PM »
Hi

Back to the chimney. I figured out a way to do it with the tools I have and available materials.

Starting with some steel in the lathe turn the boss to size

Followed by some drilling then boring

Now I needed to create the bell mouth. The 2 red lines on the drawing show the 2 cuts I made by swivelling the top slide over

Followed by some work with course then medium emery cloth

Reverse in the chuck and part off

Then a combination of cutters to create the profile and bore out for the chimney tube

The chimney tube is a bit of steel tube

The saddle part starts life as a bit of 3/16" thick steel and a cardboard template

Drill 2 6mm holes in the steel plate and drill and tap 2 M6 holes in a bit of steel tube thats the same size as the smoke box

Then attack it with the oxy propane torch and a hammer

Set up in the mill and drill and bore the hole

Flatten off a bit

Remove the waste and file to shape gives us this

In the brazing hearth. I used sif bronze for this as it has better fill capabilities

A scrap of wood with an M8 coach bolt and a large washer to hold it for filing and fettling

Ladies and gentlemen I think we have a chimney base  :whoohoo:

Cheers

Rich

« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 12:21:22 PM by Firebird »

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #492 on: June 24, 2018, 01:37:33 PM »
It looks good and you have saved £53 as well  :ThumbsUp:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #493 on: June 24, 2018, 02:16:49 PM »
Wow! Nice job!  :ThumbsUp:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Jakdaw43

« Reply #494 on: June 25, 2018, 04:28:50 PM »
Hi Rich,
Having built three Hunslets amongst a great deal else over the past 60 years, I've done a bit, made a lot of mistakes, but hopefully learned a trick or two on the way.
I offer my help with any 'problem' that you approach during building your 'Conway'...a problem shared is a problem solved they say.
All the best,
Stuart
Newcastle-u-Lyme.
Stuart alias 'Jackdaw'

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal