Author Topic: CONWAY 0-4-0 3 1/2" GAUGE LOCO  (Read 174194 times)

Offline Jim Nic

• Buckingham, UK
Re: CONWAY 0-4-0 3 1/2" GAUGE LOCO
« Reply #465 on: June 01, 2018, 11:07:08 AM »
Rich
I'm not commenting much, but I am following along with much admiration and picking up tips along the way.  Keep it up.
Jim
The person who never made a mistake never made anything.

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #466 on: June 01, 2018, 01:13:56 PM »
Hi

Thanks Carl and Jim  :ThumbsUp:

A bit of encouragement is always welcome especially when things go wrong  :facepalm2:

As for picking up tips remember this is my first loco build so I do make things up as I go along  :ROFL:

Cheers

Rich

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #467 on: June 01, 2018, 02:28:23 PM »
Smoke box looks great and glad you managed to use plate instead of a casting again. How did you fasten the bracket onto the door? Button head screws or are they rivets?

I got my eBay loco boiler hydraulic tested on Tues with all fittings installed. Eventually passed with flying colours, just a leaky whistle valve which nearly scuppered things for a while! Just a hand pump to fit (only injector and axle pump which I wasn’t keen on) then build back together. There was provision for a hand pump but the maker must have had it on his driving trolley as there was a tee piece from the clack and a spur off under rear buffer beam. I found a sweet pea pump I made many moons ago which is ideal as it will fit under rear of running board!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #468 on: June 02, 2018, 10:55:55 AM »
Hi Nick

Yes they are stainless steel button heads. They do look a bit like rivets don't they. Actually they cost about the same. I have had several attempts at riveting but it just doesn't look right, I guess its one of those acquired arts.

I have said a couple of times that this engine is being built for me to use and not as a display model so I am not too bothered about using different materials and methods as long as the final part works.

Good news on your boiler :ThumbsUp: :whoohoo:

Cheers

Rich

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #469 on: June 02, 2018, 02:17:21 PM »
It’s not something I’ve done much of either riveting. I agree, locos that are going to be used are best made with maintenance in mind as they always need tinkering with.

I’ve just taken my axle pump to bits as thought the inlet ball was stuck on its seat. I found two different sized balls - I had another 1/4” SS ball so put that in the out let, blew / sucked through the tube and it blocked. Put the 3/16 ball back on top and it was ok. Then realised the reason the inlet was blocked was also too large a ball, it wasn’t allowing any lift! Bet that must have had the last owner baffled as to why the pump wasn’t working!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #470 on: June 02, 2018, 08:32:46 PM »
Hi

Continuing with the smoke box the outer is made from 1/16" brass sheet. Initially cut out a couple of pieces with a nibbler

Then bring to size in the mill

In my home made rollers

Check for fit on the front

Drill holes around the front edge, using a wood former for support

I'm using stainless steel button head screws, my riveting is rubbish, they look like rivets and I can take it apart for maintenance

The rear ornamental ring is similarly fitted with button head screws

3/8" square brass is drilled to the same as the holes in the frames and tapped right through. The bottom edge of the outer is drilled to same measurements. Stainless bolts that go half way through the tapped brass hold them in place

Another trial fit

Cheers

Rich

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #471 on: June 03, 2018, 06:07:51 AM »
Looking good Richie!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #472 on: June 03, 2018, 05:52:28 PM »
I'll say!  Its coming along great.
Really enjoying your build, Rich.  Great pictures and good descriptions.
Thanks!
Kim

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #473 on: June 05, 2018, 07:10:17 PM »
Hi

Thanks Kerrin and Kim  :ThumbsUp:

Apart from all the other bits and pieces left to make I have a tooling job on the to do list. A sheet metal folder which I will need to make the tanks and cab etc. Not just a metal folder but a box and pan folder. I have a few ideas on a fag packet based on available materials.

I am also looking into automatic drain cocks. I need 4 for Conway and my mate Julian needs 4 for his Simplex + we both have our next loco builds waiting in the wings so a production run might be on the cards.

Also I need to work out how to fabricate the chimney base

At £53.26  :'( its worth having a go

:thinking: :headscratch:

Cheers

Rich

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #474 on: June 06, 2018, 12:45:48 AM »
Hi Richie,
And that’s a 1994 price! I sent Chris an article on making chimney bases last year, unfortunately due to having to change email providers, followed by a recent hard drive fail I can’t  “see” what issue of Model Engineer it was in. Maybe Chris can point you in the right direction. Failing that I’ll have a hunt thru my back issue & see if I can find it again!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #475 on: June 06, 2018, 02:23:39 AM »
Hi Richie,
And that’s a 1994 price! I sent Chris an article on making chimney bases last year, unfortunately due to having to change email providers, followed by a recent hard drive fail I can’t  “see” what issue of Model Engineer it was in. Maybe Chris can point you in the right direction. Failing that I’ll have a hunt thru my back issue & see if I can find it again!

Cheers Kerrin
Found it Kerrin!
it is in Model Engineer 27, January 2012. If you send me a PM with your email I can send you a copy of the article.
Also, Kozo shows ways to do it in his Building The New Shay (and others, I assume) books, that is where I learned to make that shape. His way involves mostly turning, some filing of the bottom taper to blend it. Those are all from bar stock, no castings.
Chris

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #476 on: June 06, 2018, 08:24:39 AM »

Also I need to work out how to fabricate the chimney base

At £53.26  :'( its worth having a go

What is it with Reeves prices they seem all wrong  :noidea: On Surus' Commander he needed a pair of intermediate Exhaust Elbows and I have ordered the pair from Reeves for £18 at which price I would not bother to try to make them out of bar stock  :ShakeHead: And yet that much simpler casting for your loco costs a fortune  :(

Jo
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 08:37:21 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #477 on: June 06, 2018, 10:21:44 AM »
Don't forget the chimney base price is for two castings.

I wonder if the prices reflect the current cost to Reeves, The Commander castings may have been in stock for some time as I can't imagine they sell many so they would be covering their costs. But with Locos being more popular they have a higher turn over of castings so price would reflect what they are currently having to pay for them.

I'm sure Graham's recent batch of castings will have cost more than what he paid back in the days of A.F.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #478 on: June 06, 2018, 10:35:45 AM »
Neither of the pair (= 2 castings) of elbow castings are in stock and they are cored castings. Each weigh about the same as a simple eccentric casting for the commander and you get four of those for £76  :noidea:

We are still waiting to hear the price of the latest castings from Graham, I did ask for an indication of cost before he went ahead but never heard anything  :paranoia:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #479 on: June 06, 2018, 08:13:21 PM »
Hi

Thanks for all the help guys  :ThumbsUp:

Chris I'll send you a PM  :ThumbsUp:

As for prices yes it is hard to fathom

Smoke box front plate  £21.95
Smoke box door          £18.27
Axle pump casting       £17.01
4 eccentrics                £31.25

Arguably all reasonably priced but then you get to the chimney and it is £53.76 ?????????????

But add those 5 items together and it comes to £142.24, soon mounts up. A complete set of castings comes in at a whopping £700.00.

So it is worth having a go at home fabrication

Cheers

Rich

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal