Author Topic: CONWAY 0-4-0 3 1/2" GAUGE LOCO  (Read 174336 times)

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
Re: CONWAY 0-4-0 3 1/2" GAUGE LOCO
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2017, 09:32:37 PM »
Hi

It seems my recent posts have disappeared. I'll upload the photos again over this weekend. If I miss anything out please shout up.

cheers

Rich

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2017, 12:11:46 AM »
Hi

It seems my recent posts have disappeared. I'll upload the photos again over this weekend. If I miss anything out please shout up.

cheers

Rich

Everyones posts are gone since the 10th. Check out the "good news and bad news" banner item on the home page, the server went belly up, they had to switch to different one with the last available backup.

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2017, 05:46:21 PM »
Hi

A quick re-cap to bring things back up to date. If anyone wants more details please shout up.

The rear buffer beam is pretty much the same as the front but has extra angle plates to support the cab floor. I don't have the angle as yet.

Cheers

Rich
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 11:30:02 PM by Firebird »

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2017, 06:02:02 PM »
Hi

A start has been made on the frames. I have made a sacrificial table from 19mm MDF. A length of 8mm square steel is fitted into the slot at the front of the mill table so that the MDF will pull up to it and always go back in the same position. Clamp it down and machine off the left hand end which is now square to the table and fit some aluminium angle.

4 x  10mm holes are drilled along the rear edge in line with the T slot. A length of wood is glued and pinned to the front edge

The 2 frames are clamped down to the MDF table with the front edge against the wood edge and the left hand end up against the aluminium angle. The idea is that if the frames have to be removed I should be able to put them back accurately

Using an edge finder I have located a datum at the front left hand corner. The centre of the front axle is 9" from the front of the frame with the centre of the rear axle a further 8" I just managed to get just under 18" of travel on the mill table so was able to machine the 2 hornblock openings

To machine the rear end of the frames I am going to move the MDF table along about 9"

Cheers

Rich
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 11:27:38 PM by Firebird »

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2017, 06:14:14 PM »
Hi

I have spent the afternoon trying to set up my Myford lathe, it was turning a slight taper of about .006". The remedy I discovered is to fit some raising blocks with adjustable nuts. Effectively it twists the bed, sounds crude but thats how it works. I now have it to within .001".

Looking at the plans and what material I have to see what I can make next I have decided that the motion plate/stretcher and the valve rod bushes which bolt into the motion plate would do. I only have limited time at nights so the frames will have to wait till I can get a good few hours to concentrate on them.

This is the motion plate

And these are the bushes

Can you spot the error in the drawings?

Cheers

Rich

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2017, 09:27:59 PM »
6 vs. 4 just won't fit...    :facepalm:  :slap:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2017, 01:17:49 PM »
Thats it Pete  :ThumbsUp:

Martin Evans plans are apparently littered with errors so its best to check both parts before making them :thinking:

Cheers

Rich

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2017, 02:19:36 PM »
Martin Evans plans are apparently littered with errors so its best to check both parts before making them :thinking:

I have heard it said that Martin Errors never actually designed a single engine himself (although he has his name on more model Loco drawings than anyone else) all he did was use LBSC's designs, take the various parts and make the result look like different locos. The problem was that he was not consistent in which of Curly's engines he took each part from  :facepalm: and the Draftswomen in the office were not model makers themselves so did not spot the problems as they drew them  :-\

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2017, 04:33:18 PM »
Still, if you do as it says on the drawing an mark the holes from the guides you can't go wrong ;)

Offline Barneydog

• Just outside Leicester, United KIngdom
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2017, 09:43:48 PM »
This is the problem with all Martin Errors "work". I am building a Simplex and finding many errors with that also. It's not so bad when you spot the errors like Rich has spotted this one and as Jason states it is easily rectified using the guide as a pattern. The big problem is if we build many parts out of order as we find the necessary materials for each just to find something wrong. I and many others mourn the loss of the list of errors Alan Stepney compiled on his website before he sadly passed away. If anyone knows where it went and if it still exists I would possibly host it myself.
Good work Rich.

Regards

Julian

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2017, 09:50:25 PM »
We should check into the Internet wayback machine..   You can go back in time and get snap shots of past web sites...

Might find it there.

Dave

"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2017, 09:52:24 PM »
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2017, 08:25:25 PM »
Hi

Another question my learned chums. ;D

The bush for the safety valve is specified as 5/8" x 26tpi. I don't have that size tap and die in my arsenal so I'm just looking into getting some. Looking on Tracy Tools web site there are two types listed, BSC (British standard cycle) and BSB (British standard brass)

What is the difference and which one is best?

Cheers

Rich

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2017, 08:42:49 PM »
Buy the brass thread - it has Whitworth form which is what you want same as the other ME threads ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal