Author Topic: CONWAY 0-4-0 3 1/2" GAUGE LOCO  (Read 174379 times)

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
Re: CONWAY 0-4-0 3 1/2" GAUGE LOCO
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2017, 01:54:28 PM »
Hi

Well the new plans arrived and they are much clearer than the ones published in the magazine.

However I'm having one of my thick and stupid moments so need some help from you my learned collegues.  :noidea: :thinking: :old:

I have to turn a large bush, bore a large hole in the boiler and silver solder it in. This is the part ably shown by my young assistant, my grand daughter who can't wait for this to be finished.

Now I cannot for the life of me see what fits in it.  :wallbang: Surely it has to have some holes tapped in it?

Help

Cheers

Rich

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2017, 02:06:34 PM »
That's under the dome and has a second half which is a "cap" which the regulator fits inside  ;)

You should find somewhere on the drawings the cap and that will show you the holes.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2017, 10:11:00 PM »
Hi

Thanks Jo. I've had a quick look and still can't see it   :shrug:. Lets leave that till tomorrow.

Today I made the front buffer. A nother straight forward job, just follow the plans. A couple of things worth noting though. The brass angle isn't a true 90°. Placed back to back you can see it.

A quick skim over one face cured the problem

The holes have to be accurately drilled, I used the DRO on my mill

Its held together with 2.5mm bolts at the moment. I'm not sure I like the plain dummy buffers so I'll leave them off for now, I might have a go at something more like real buffers

Cheers

Rich

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2017, 11:28:10 PM »
Rich

I don't think extruded angle ever is true. I have some 2" x 2" x 1/8" Ally Angle which is all over the shop ...  ::) varies along the length, not consistent.

At one time it was possible to get milled brass angle, at least in the smaller sizes, a friend used it to make 'leccy rolling stock. The ones you solder up. Quite accurate but far from cheap though ... IIRC it was from Kittle Hobby  (??) but I don't think they do it now. Don't know if the K&S stuff is better. ( If they do it ).

Dave

« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 07:36:29 AM by Bluechip »

Offline sweetstack

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2017, 07:31:59 AM »
Hi everyone
I also would love to build my first steam locomotive.I have narrowed it down to a 7.25" gauge Marie Estelle designed by Don Young or Kozo's A3 Pennsylvania switcher.I would like to have other people's input in my decision.Great start on the Conway Rich.
Catch you later
Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2017, 09:43:07 AM »
Rich, the regulator is on page 92 of the magazine copy. Does not give number or PCD of fixings but I would think at least 8 fixings. Some people also groove the top of the bush for an O ring.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2017, 10:09:08 AM »
Hi everyone
I also would love to build my first steam locomotive.I have narrowed it down to a 7.25" gauge Marie Estelle designed by Don Young or Kozo's A3 Pennsylvania switcher.I would like to have other people's input in my decision.Great start on the Conway Rich.
Catch you later
Chris

Hi Chris,

Would you like to post an introduction to yourself in the introduction section. I am sure people will be more than willing to provide there thoughts on making either of those (and it will be lost in Rich's thread  ;) )

Jo

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2017, 09:11:31 AM »
Hi

I have took pictures of 4 of the sheets, I hope you can see them ok

Cheers

Rich

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2017, 09:29:46 AM »
Last photo, fourth from right at the bottom. It shows the regulator insitu in that bush with the dome on it.

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2017, 12:16:33 PM »
You can just see the ring of bolts in this photo, looks more like 12 fixings, previous photo shows that other bush you were asking about in the tubeplate. Don't look at the backhead photos though :o

http://www.stationroadsteam.co.uk/stock%20pages/2671/pages/2671-y.htm

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2017, 01:29:59 PM »
Hi

Many thanks Jo and Jason. A picture speaks a 1000 words  :ThumbsUp:

It seems odd that such a complicated part isn't shown as seperate items  :headscratch:

But I can now have a go at the large bronze bush, which in the article there is no reference to drilling and tapping. The drilling and tapping clearly needs to be done before silver soldering into the boiler.

Cheers

Rich

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2017, 01:46:31 PM »
Hi

Turned the bush. I had a suitable bit of PB.

Next job is to mount in the rotary table and drill and tap. 12 fixings looks about right Jason. I'll see if I can get a small groove for an O ring as well

Cheers

Rich

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2017, 08:50:45 PM »
Hi

Thinking ahead a little I have been looking at the cylinders. The thought of paying £323.00 for a pair of castings is making me ill. Looking at the drawings I think I could fabricate them. So the question is what material is best.

Brass is probably the easiest to obtain and could be silver soldered together

Cast iron. I could hack it out of the solid.

Gun metal. Julian and I are looking into building a small furnace to cast our own parts

Any thoughts :thinking:

Cheers

Rich

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2017, 12:57:59 AM »
As I understand it, the Conway is a version of the Hunslet.

I have this pair of Hunslet cylinder castings ... just these two pieces. I was going to use them for another project which has since been canceled.

I would be happy to measure for you.

I am in Canada, but if you are at all interested, and they will work for you, you can have them for the postage to the UK. (likely around 10 to 15 ukpounds but I can check).

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2017, 03:53:19 AM »
Nice looking bushing Rich. I agree 323.00 of a pair of cylinder castings does seem a bit steep. I don't see  why they couldn't be fabricated.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal