Author Topic: CONWAY 0-4-0 3 1/2" GAUGE LOCO  (Read 174238 times)

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
Re: CONWAY 0-4-0 3 1/2" GAUGE LOCO
« Reply #885 on: June 16, 2019, 01:43:27 PM »
Hi

Thanks for the info jo  :ThumbsUp:

Julian and I had a few hours out yesterday at the great central railway which is local to us. Great day out.

We had a wander around the workshop which was really interesting

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guMXUVCW-58" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guMXUVCW-58</a>

Cheers

Rich

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #886 on: June 16, 2019, 04:37:30 PM »
Hi

I practiced on a bit of scrap brass to see if my soldering iron was man enough

Tinned the 2 parts then successfully soldered them together

Likewise a base was soldered onto the lubricator

Made up a connecting rod, 1/8" stainless steel, with 2 brass couplings

Cheers

Rich

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #887 on: June 16, 2019, 09:09:56 PM »
Looks great Rich, well done!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

You'll be messing up passengers' white shirts and dresses in no time, with big oil spots out of the chimney! :Lol:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #888 on: June 17, 2019, 06:59:10 AM »
Great solution to the mounting issue for the lubricator!  Did you use soft solder?  Or silver solder?
Kim

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #889 on: June 17, 2019, 09:18:29 PM »
Hi

Thanks cnr6400 and Kim  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

I used soft solder and a large electric soldering iron. The heat from a torch and silver solder may have damaged the tiny components of the pump.

Cheers

Rich

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #890 on: June 27, 2019, 09:46:25 PM »
Hi

I haven't posted much recently but I have been busy mainly tinkering with parts to make them fit better.

Also I came across a problem. How to get to the eccentrics to lubricate them. I did fit small oil cups to each of the 5 eccentrics to assist but with the boiler and side tanks in place it is impossible to get at them. Time to get your thinking cap on Richard  :thinking:

A remote drip feed lubricator is what I came up with. First job was to make a tank from copper and brass

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yla1q48h8a4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yla1q48h8a4</a>

I used a cut down commercial brass hinge on the lid

I fitted a globe valve that I had in stock with an extension on one side to centralize it

On test with water

It worked but there was insufficient flow so I set about and made my own

The screwed spindle screws in from the bottom so it will not screw out from the top when being operated. This is normal safety practice on pressure valves but is not really necassary in this case.

The bottom cap which is drilled through is then screwed in

A hand wheel centre drilled and tapped and side drilled for a small grub screw

2 pieces of brass angle silver soldered on for mounting and the new valve fitted

The manifold is a piece of thick walled copper tube around 3" long tapped each end 5/16" x 32

A Bung in one end and an angled fitting the other end to take a 3/16" pipe

5 short lengths of 1/8" copper tube silver soldered in then the main tube silver soldered to a brass mounting plate

After a clean up a trial with some 10/40 motor oil

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo57oVi-Dzk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo57oVi-Dzk</a>

I'm pleased with that.

A lick of red paint and the manifold is fitted to the stretcher with a couple of M3 cap heads and nuts

The tank is fitted to the right hand running board just forward of the water tank

I have removed the protective plastic coating from the stainless steel running board. Fitted the brass angle along its outer edge which has been painted red. It looks quit nice so I might leave the running board unpainted

Cheers

Rich

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #891 on: June 27, 2019, 10:13:32 PM »
Nice solution to a practical problem  :whoohoo:

I can't see if the cups scoop the drops from the tubes (in the picture) when they "go by" ...  :thinking:

If you managed that, I will take a bow in compliment too  :praise2:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #892 on: June 27, 2019, 10:14:39 PM »
All looking good Rich.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

I imagine you are planning to use a light oil for the eccentric lubing, maybe like 30 weight engine oil or ISO 32 jack oil? That will not flow as easily as water as used in your tests but will eventually seep down to your lube chamber and drip onto the eccentrics. If you should find the valve in the tank does not feed enough oil or isn't fast enough, here's an idea: Maybe fit a second upright fitting next to the valve (or maybe replacing its' innards) which is just a through-tube with a conical socket at the top. The cone would need to be a close sealing fit to a ball end fitting on your oil can. At start of run, open the tank lid and give this fitting a good pressure-shot of oil from the oil can, loading your drip tank over the eccentrics full, to drip down on them during the run. Good luck with it! Certainly better to get ANY lube down there rather than none.
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #893 on: June 27, 2019, 11:08:14 PM »
Hi

Yes Admiral I have timed the drips to coincide with the rotation of the eccentrics  :Lol: :Jester: :ROFL: it some working out
honestly ::)

The 10/40 was all I had to hand for the test. I can shut it off completely, slow the drip down to almost 1 a minute or get quite a fast flow which will be ideal for starting up. Now I know it works I can experiment with different grades of oil.

Cheers

Rich

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #894 on: July 03, 2019, 08:42:34 PM »
Hi

Got the cylinder covers fitted. I have managed to get a layer of the insulation in as well.

Cut a piece of the insulation

Using the cover as a template to mark out

And on the cylinder to locate various holes

And fitted

Cheers

Rich

Offline john mills

« Reply #895 on: July 03, 2019, 11:36:04 PM »
with that much oil dripping  under your engine it will be slung all over the underside of the works it won't be long before it is spread all run the track   even one drip in half an hour a greasy track will develop not a lot of oil is
required for lubrication those drips will drip from under your engine over lubrication with an oil can  can be enough to drip oil getting on the track  be for long the track becomes greasy with no traction  until the track is cleaned.

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #896 on: July 06, 2019, 05:40:55 PM »
Hi John

You are quite right, a few spots is all that is needed. Because I am fitting side tanks and not the saddle tank it is impossible to get through with an oil can hence this little mod to give remote lubrication.

My intention is to give the eccentrics a few drips while in the steaming bay. I will not be running with the drip feed turned on.

Cheers

Rich

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #897 on: July 07, 2019, 05:06:38 PM »
Hi

Got the brake standard fitted and connected

Started to paint some of the parts

A little bit of fire cement to seal a few small gaps in the smokebox

Cheers

Rich

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #898 on: July 14, 2019, 08:47:12 AM »
Coming along nicely  :praise2:  :praise2: I'm still following in the background  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #899 on: July 14, 2019, 08:44:58 PM »
Hi Rich,
I spent the last couple of days going through your build, lots of really interesting bits of information not only about the loco but also some of you innovative tooling. Your ability to solve some of the issues that cropped up are greatly appreciated. I filed a whole bunch of stuff away in the back of my mind for future reference. One I have my tiny boiler done on the Beyer Peacock, then I will feel confident to work on the boiler of my 3 1/2 inch loco.

Mike
If you can imagine it you can build it

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal