Author Topic: CONWAY 0-4-0 3 1/2" GAUGE LOCO  (Read 174341 times)

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
Re: CONWAY 0-4-0 3 1/2" GAUGE LOCO
« Reply #840 on: May 06, 2019, 09:23:05 AM »
Hi

Thanks Admiral  :ThumbsUp:

Yes a few big bits transforms the look.

I keep giving myself deadlines but they come and go with amazing regularity. There is a never ending list of parts to make and so little time to do it  ::)

Cheers

Rich

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #841 on: May 06, 2019, 10:48:33 AM »
Excellent progress, it's really starting to look live a locomotive  :praise2:  :praise2: You are definately on the last 20% that also takes 80% of the time  ::)  :wine1:

Is it an insurance requirement to have the boiler number visible (like the VIN on cars)?
Best regards

Roger

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #842 on: May 06, 2019, 06:10:05 PM »
Hi

Thanks Roger  :ThumbsUp:

Yes it is a requirement that the boiler certificate number is stamped onto the boiler and that it is visible.

If one were to visit another club the certificate and boiler number would be checked before being allowed to run on their track

Cheers

Rich

Offline g0rph

« Reply #843 on: May 08, 2019, 07:54:48 PM »
Hi Rich,

Give some thought to cutting away that little return curve at the base of the cab front sheet.   If you do, you can cut it from a single piece and avoid all those rivets/screws/nuts down the centre line AND you will be able to remove the cab at any time without dismantling it!    Mine is joined, but I have trimmed it as described, and it comes off easily in one piece.   A real boon for service work!   

The extra gap doesn't show under the saddle tank (and can't show under your side tanks!) so well worth doing! 

Regards,  Richard.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #844 on: May 08, 2019, 09:04:34 PM »
Looking good Rich :popcorn: :ThumbsUp:              Terry

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #845 on: May 08, 2019, 10:03:35 PM »
Rich, this is above and beyond. You certainly have the skills where metal falls into your hands with ease,
John

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #846 on: May 19, 2019, 12:18:54 PM »
Hi

Thanks Richard, Terry and John  :ThumbsUp:

I have some progress to post but Use.com, the image service I use, has been down for a while. I'll try again later.

Cheers

Rich

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #847 on: May 19, 2019, 12:52:24 PM »
Hi

Use.com is working again :cartwheel:

The lids for the side tank fillers I am making from brass, heavy enough to keep themselves closed

The hinges I am making from brass door hinges, something I have used successfully before. If you use this trick make sure the hinges are brass and not brassed steel, check with a magnet

Machine the two halves

Silver solder to the lid and the other half to the large brass bush

4 more brass bushes

The 2 larger bushes will go at the bottom front of the tanks to take a 1/4" copper pipe to connect the 2 tanks together. The 2 small bushes will go at the top rear of the tanks. This is for the axle pump bypass valve. I haven't decided yet which tank I will fit it in so its no problem to fit a bush in each to giv me the option.

The end plates are silver soldered on. They are oversize initially then trimmed after soldering

Then the bushes are soldered in

After cleaning up and trimming the ends fill with water for a test

One leak, not bad and easily fixed

After repairing the leak and soldering in the filler. You can just see the other half of the hinge

A coat of grey etching primer. I knew that washing line would come in handy  :D

Followed by one coat of black. It will get a few scratches before final assembly so will need a few more coats.

The other tank is well on its way

Cheers

Rich

« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 12:57:38 PM by Firebird »

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #848 on: May 19, 2019, 01:59:27 PM »
Hi

Forgot to say the tanks measure approximately 26.5cms x 10cms x 7cms which is approximately 1.85 ltrs which is 3.26 pints

Cheers

Rich

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #849 on: May 19, 2019, 03:20:43 PM »
Tank looks great Rich!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
When full they should help with adhesion / tractive effort too.
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #850 on: May 25, 2019, 07:46:31 PM »
Hi

Thanks cnr6400  :ThumbsUp:

I have been watching my mate Julians build of his Simplex 0-6-0 loco. We have had the initial twice working pressure test on our boilers and passed that ok. The next boiler test is 1 1/2 times working pressure hydraulic test with the boiler in the loco and all the fittings and pipe work connected. This is where Julian is suffering a bit. Every time the boiler is stripped out to carry out other work then refitted he plagued by leaks  :wallbang:

So with that in mind I am aiming to fit my boiler just the once. Everything else must be done and ready.

The running boards are on. Both side tanks are now made and leak free.

I am now making the cab. I want to be able to lift the cab off by removing no more than 6 bolts

I have had to cut 2 slots in the cab front to clear the by pass valve bushes in the back of the tanks

Satisfied that this will work ok its time to cut some metal. The cab I am making from 2mm thick ally

To cut the large hole for the boiler I set up on my home made rotary table with sacrificial MDF. Then the band saw to remove the waste

The 2 slots were milled out. The windows were cut with a hole saw

3/8" x 3/8" brass angle can be curved by teasing it round gently a bit at a time

Attached with 1/16" copper rivets

The 2 cab sides are also made from 2mm ally and machined as a pair. The hole being cut with a 75mm hole saw

Brass angle is used to fix the cab sides to the cab front.

A lapse in concentration and I drilled the holes for the rivets in the wrong place :facepalm: :old: :'( :censored: :facepalm2:

Some car body filler to rectify the ermmmmm error

To amuse myself while the filler sets I have made some beading.

A scrap of MDF has a 3/16" wide 3/16" deep slot cut around 8" long. The Y axis is locked so that the table stays in place

Tap in a length of 3/16" copper brake pipe

Now with a 2mm cutter machine a slot along the pipe

I will upload a bit of video later

The cab side has been temporarily fixed to the cab front with 3 x 1.5mm cap head screws and nuts for a trial fit with the 2 tanks

Cheers

Rich

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #851 on: May 25, 2019, 08:57:00 PM »
Hi Rich, Cab looks great!   :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: I think you are very wise to have it lift off after removing just a few screws.

That beading will take some beating..... (sorry I'll get my coat)

Re the rivet holes / filler - I didn't see a thing.... what filler?  :naughty:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #852 on: May 25, 2019, 08:59:46 PM »
Very clever way to make that beading from the tube! Any issues with it while bending after making the slot?

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #853 on: May 25, 2019, 09:09:57 PM »
Hi

Thanks cnr6400  :ThumbsUp:

Chris, the copper brake pipe is quite soft so forms easily. I will glue it on with something or other on final assembly.

Here's a bit of video

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NlVNYVBTjI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NlVNYVBTjI</a>

Cheers

Rich

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #854 on: May 25, 2019, 10:25:39 PM »
Hello Rich,

Looking really good :ThumbsUp:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal