Author Topic: CONWAY 0-4-0 3 1/2" GAUGE LOCO  (Read 174622 times)

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Re: CONWAY 0-4-0 3 1/2" GAUGE LOCO
« Reply #720 on: January 23, 2019, 11:28:14 AM »
Hello Rich,

I don't know if it is just me and my computer but your photos no longer show on this site. Anyone else having a problem?

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline g0rph

« Reply #721 on: January 23, 2019, 11:40:53 AM »
Hi Thomas,

They did go missing for a while this morning but seem to be OK again now?

Rgrds  Richard (G0RPH!)

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #722 on: January 23, 2019, 07:53:41 PM »
Hi

Some good ideas there Richard :ThumbsUp:

Thomas, the pictures seem to have disappeared just on the last page  :headscratch:

Give it a couple of days to see what happens

Cheers

Rich

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #723 on: January 23, 2019, 07:55:31 PM »
Hi

And now they are back again :shrug:

Cheers

Rich

Offline Steve17

« Reply #724 on: January 23, 2019, 08:17:49 PM »
They are playing hard to get here  :shrug: rather than enlarge they open another window and come up with "software error" I tend to be  :killcomputer: :zap: with computers at the best of times.

Steve.

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #725 on: January 24, 2019, 06:16:48 PM »
Hi

After some fine fettling it turns over reasonably well. Its a little difficult to get hold of with lots of sharp corners to catch knuckles on

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfBVEddwpRA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfBVEddwpRA</a>

Time to to connect up to the air line. I was optimistically hopeful but was very quickly disappointed.

The air seemed to be coming straight out of the exhaust  :headscratch:

So a strip down of the valve chest covers  to double check the valve timing, all seems ok there. Then make sure the slide valves are moving ok and are free enough to lift on their cross bars. Before the initial assembly I made sure the faces of the slide valves and the faces of the steam chests were smooth

Re assemble and try again but the same problem. I had to give up for the the day at this point

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOhxz2SDGz8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOhxz2SDGz8</a>

Cheers

Rich
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 07:12:16 PM by Firebird »

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #726 on: January 24, 2019, 06:49:18 PM »
Hi Rich, you might try a trick I have had some success with on slide valves in the past that may not be seating at first. Disconnect your air line, drop a big slug of valve oil down the steam inlet pipe. Let the oil reach the steam chests. When it has, apply air pressure again while manually spinning over the engine (in full gear forward or reverse). If the valves have lifted off the valve sealing face of the cylinder, leaking to exhaust, the combination of pressure and sticky oil may help re-seat them. This trick may save you a disassembly - hope so. Good luck!
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #727 on: January 24, 2019, 07:05:10 PM »
In the video it looked like it was only coming out on the one cylinder? Did you try turning the wheels by hand to move the valve and see if the problem changed? Could be two other issues - if the slider is not centered in the travel, and way off one end, it would go right through. Also check the dimensions on the slider, length overall and the center recess size, against the actual port spacing. Lets see, another possibility is if the piston is leaking it could round trip right around through the cylinder.

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #728 on: January 24, 2019, 07:24:44 PM »
Hi

The air is coming out of both exhaust ports. Holding the camera in one hand prevented me from blocking both at the same time. Its difficult to get hold of the wheels to turn them so I don't fancy doing that while the air pressure is on in case it kicks over and removes any of my digits  :'(

Cheers

Rich

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #729 on: January 27, 2019, 07:23:48 PM »
Hi

Some good tips there  :ThumbsUp:

I have been studying the drawing  :atcomputer:

I was very careful when I machined these parts to ensure a nice fit without play. It could be the parts are too good.

For example if the valve rod hole in the driving nut is slightly off that would tip the slide valve preventing it from sitting squarely on the face???

I can't get back on it until the weekend :'(

Just a thought

Cheers

Rich
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 07:27:16 PM by Firebird »

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #730 on: January 27, 2019, 07:50:13 PM »
Yes the hole needs to be nice and square in the nut and make sure the grub screw does not pull things off line when tightened. You can have a bit more clearance in the valve around the 5/32" rod but the nut wants to be quiet close but not sticking.

The other thing that looks wrong is that there is no allowance for the valve to lift off the port face, either make the 3.8" slot a bit deeper or take some material off the bottom of the nut. Or a bit of both.

Offline g0rph

« Reply #731 on: January 28, 2019, 12:21:41 AM »
Or, just maybe there is too much clearance?   Did you "fit" the valve before the gasket between the steam chest and the cylinder block?   If so the gasket may have added too much clearance and the valve is not pushed back by the "gentle" application of air?

My Conway pulls that trick occasionally on the track because the valve clearance measures about 0.4/0.5mm (I didn't make it!) and gentle application of the regulator does not re-seat the valve (which is cast iron in my case so not quite as heavy as the gunmetal that I think you used?   My valves are totally free so it can only be the clearance that is the problem. 

A sharp application of regulator sorts it, but its on my "to do" list!

Regards,   Richard.

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #732 on: January 31, 2019, 08:00:07 PM »
Hi

Thanks Jason and Richard  :ThumbsUp:

Today I removed both valve chests/covers/valves etc and checked them over. No faults found  :shrug:

Tried them on a piece of perspex, no faults found  :shrug:

:headscratch: :thinking: :noidea:

Ok, put it all back together and time it up again.

Still no go  :facepalm:

Lets try a trick suggested by cnr6400, drop a load of steam oil down the pipe

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB9R9Zy8rlc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB9R9Zy8rlc</a>

:jumpingsmileys: :jumpingsmileys: :cartwheel: :whoohoo:

Cheers

Rich

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #733 on: January 31, 2019, 08:24:53 PM »
Hello Rich,

Oh that is beautiful  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #734 on: January 31, 2019, 08:28:19 PM »
8)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal