Author Topic: CONWAY 0-4-0 3 1/2" GAUGE LOCO  (Read 174556 times)

Offline malc

Re: CONWAY 0-4-0 3 1/2" GAUGE LOCO
« Reply #150 on: June 21, 2017, 09:09:35 PM »
Another possibility is to drill a small hole in the eccentric strap to give access for a screwdriver / allen key.

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #151 on: July 01, 2017, 09:00:27 PM »
Hi

Thanks Malc, thats a possibility

A bit more work on the horn blocks

I need 4 horn stays. These differ from the plans because I am using under slung coil springs. They need to be increased to 5/8" in width.

A 12" piece of 5/8" X 3/16" is marked out and drilled 6mm along its centre line

Then mounted on a bit of MDF that has corresponding holes drilled in it to accept T nuts and studs. Checked to make sure its true.

Machined to 1 3/4"

4 holes drilled in each stay. 2 for mounting onto the hornblocks and 2 for the studs to pass through. Each stud will have a coil spring fitted

chopped off in the bandsaw

A trial fit

Cheers

Rich

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #152 on: July 02, 2017, 09:06:58 AM »

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #153 on: July 02, 2017, 09:08:56 AM »
Hi

I have just posted the above photo with the site Marv suggested    use.com         

Not sure how to make the image larger yet

Cheers

Rich

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #154 on: July 03, 2017, 08:42:36 PM »

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #155 on: July 03, 2017, 08:43:56 PM »
Hi

I have signed up to USE.com and the images now come out full size when posting

Cheers

Rich

Offline g0rph

« Reply #156 on: July 04, 2017, 01:45:09 PM »
Hi Rich,

While you have your frames apart, you may like to give some thought to a “gotcha” which is present on my engine and also on at least one other that I have looked at.

As drawn, the boiler blow-down bushes align nicely with the rear frame opening. However it is not at all easy to put the bush where Martin drew it.   Most of the thickness of the foundation ring needs to be machined away (at least over part of its width) to allow a decent length of thread in the bush.   This creates a weakness that some boiler inspectors might not be too happy about.  Also the foundation ring partially obstructs the bush outlet (unless machined away even more).

The drawings don’t seem to cover this issue in detail, and these bushes are not even drawn, as far as I can see?

It is much more practical to fit the bushes about 7mm higher, thus taking them clear of the foundation ring, while still allowing the bore of the bush to be almost at the level of the top of the foundation ring.   This also gives a full bore outlet of course.

Doing so, however, means that the valves will not fit in the frame openings and the openings needs enlarging upwards on their leading edges.

Maybe you can fit those bushes as drawn, or even think of another solution?   

Best wishes,   

Richard.

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #157 on: July 04, 2017, 07:58:23 PM »
Hi Richard

I had wondered about those bushes going through the foundation ring but decided to leave it until the bridge had to be crossed so to speak.

Thanks for bringing it to my notice.  :ThumbsUp:

Cheers

Rich

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #158 on: July 09, 2017, 09:03:00 AM »
Hi

Well it seems those nice $%)(*&^   :Mad:  :cussing:  :killcomputer:(people) over at photosuckit have seen fit to disable all my photos.

I doubt I will have the patience to upload them all again but if there is anything in particular anyone wants to see I'll do my best to find them again.

From now on I'll use   Use.com

Cheers

Rich

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #159 on: July 29, 2017, 08:24:15 PM »
Hi

Well its been a while since I posted anything of the progress with Conway thanks largely to photosuckit  :censored:

I'm now using Use.com, it seems to be ok.

I have been doing some work to the axle boxes and horns. Conway has a leaf spring system which according to the members at our club are a pain in the proverbial to make and even even harder to get them balanced. Sure they look good but the idea behind this engine is to build something simple to drive and maintain so I have opted to go over to coil springs. It has taken a bit of working out but I'm getting there now. The cast bronze hornblocks that I purchased were very poor and really I should have sent them back but hey ho too late for that now. I have made steel horns and cast iron axle boxes.

The frames were disassembled and put back into the jig I made. A datum found and 16 x 2.5mm holes drilled

The horns are drilled and tapped 2.5mm and each horn held in place with 4 x 2.5mm button head stainless steel screws.

The split axle boxes have long 4mm stainless steel studs fitted. 2 brass nuts hold the two halves together then the studs pass through the horn stays and have springs and nyloc nuts fitted.

A bit of video

I still have a lot of work to do, the axles boxes need oil holes drilling, the studs will have a joining plate under the nyloc nuts etc but I'm getting there

Cheers

Rich

« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 08:31:02 PM by Firebird »

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #160 on: July 29, 2017, 09:00:37 PM »
Thanks for the update Rich, its looking good!

The pictures are coming through fine. But for some reason, I can't see the video.  When I click on the video, it takes me to use.com, but still doesn't give me anyway to see your video.  Do you know what I need to do?

Thanks!
Kim

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #161 on: July 29, 2017, 09:13:34 PM »
Hi

Thanks Kim

I don't know about the video. I have just clicked on it and it takes me to use.com and the video plays???

Anyone else have any problems viewing it.

Cheers

Rich

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #162 on: July 29, 2017, 10:36:53 PM »
Video works here, chrome browser on Android tablet. Looks good!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #163 on: July 30, 2017, 01:17:01 AM »
Works for me, nice looking arrangement too.

Bill

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #164 on: July 30, 2017, 04:04:48 AM »
Hi Rich,
 The video works for me, on an iPad.
Nice looking frames & axelboxes, & a great mod to coil springs. Only comment would be did you consider studs threaded each end instead of thread rod? The reason I ask is the grating sound when you move the axel boxes sounds like a file!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal