Author Topic: Plugging air leak  (Read 1527 times)

Offline kvom

Plugging air leak
« on: December 28, 2016, 05:37:53 PM »
My Coventry engine runs, but an air leak means it needs about 40psi to be reliable.  The problem is that the mating surface between the port block and the cylinder is not air tight.  I have tried two types of gasket sealer.  The latest, Loctite 518, managed to seal one side but not the other.

I am considering a temporary fix of a thin layer of JB weld along the side of the joint that leaks, but it would need to be removable after Cabin Fever.  Is this reasonable and would it likely work?

Offline steam guy willy

Re: Plugging air leak
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 03:51:14 PM »
I don't think J B Weld is an option as it is a very permanent compound ...I have used a 1/64th " gasket with this steam seal compound with success These items are available this side of the pond from EKP supplies....Usual disclaimer...

Offline old-and-broken

• Near Houston, TX
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 06:10:08 PM »
Super glue, (the high viscosity version) would work and a blast of heat from a propane torch will break it loose unlike epoxy glues.
A journey of 1000 miles begins with the first step.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 06:44:21 PM »
Is it not better to sort out the mating surfaces and find which one is not flat. by the time you have used the third sealing method and cleaned up the others you could have sorted the surfaces to give a decent seal on their own.

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 06:40:45 PM »
Hot glue as a temporary fix.
I had (and still have) some air leaks on the Coventry. Surface grinding both faces of the port block helped but I had no idea how  to surface grind into the internal corners of the recess on the cylinder. If I could do that it would seem to fix leaks. The primary leak is at the upper right corner. Waiting for Amazon to deliver the Permatex Aircraft gasket sealer. I'll report.
Best,
Stan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal