Author Topic: Scale Model Bessemer Oil Field Engine  (Read 92906 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Scale Model Bessemer Oil Field Engine
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2012, 03:09:55 AM »
Very resourceful Chuck, love to look. You are making some very impressive progress on it.

Don

Offline AussieJimG

• Rest In Peace
  • Bywong, NSW, Australia
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2012, 03:31:38 AM »
This looks like another great building project Chuck, I like the clever use of angle iron and the (implied) use of the 6x4 bandsaw with the blade vertical - something I have not yet done.

I will be watching and learning. I have lots and lots to learn.

Jim

chuck foster

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2012, 02:09:54 PM »
well well well close your eyes for a few minutes and chuck has another engine well on its way  :happyreader:

the bessemer is a nice looking engine, a good engine collector friend of mine has a 22 1/2 hp one of these beasts and he runs it on propane.
it is a double acting cylinder and runs all day just as smooth as a swiss watch.

as far as no coolant in the head or towards the back of the cylinder, the engine should be ok for short runs but it will get hot fast because it is not hit and miss.
i run most of my model hit and miss engines all day with no coolant and they are fine.

what are you using for rod seals? the snow engine is double acting and it requires a spacial "o" ring for a seal, a regular viton "o" ring will not last very long.

any way i hope there is room for me on this build wagon cause i want to tag along.

chuck

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2012, 04:01:01 PM »
well well well close your eyes for a few minutes and chuck has another engine well on its way  :happyreader:

the bessemer is a nice looking engine, a good engine collector friend of mine has a 22 1/2 hp one of these beasts and he runs it on propane.
it is a double acting cylinder and runs all day just as smooth as a swiss watch.

as far as no coolant in the head or towards the back of the cylinder, the engine should be ok for short runs but it will get hot fast because it is not hit and miss.
i run most of my model hit and miss engines all day with no coolant and they are fine.

what are you using for rod seals? the snow engine is double acting and it requires a spacial "o" ring for a seal, a regular viton "o" ring will not last very long.

any way i hope there is room for me on this build wagon cause i want to tag along.

chuck

Thanks, Chuck.  I had planned to just use a plain black plumbing o-ring.  If that doesn't work I'll have to figure out something else, maybe teflon. 

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2012, 06:42:21 PM »

Chuck,

At the start of this project, you said

At this point I'm planning on a 1.25" x 1.75" bore and stroke.  The flywheel(s) will be a little under 9" diameter and the cylinder will be made from a piece of DOM tubing, 4" long x 2" diameter.

Ever since I've been wondering what DOM tubing was and where it can be sourced.

Alan

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2012, 03:36:23 AM »
DOM means drawn over mandrel.  It's very accurate in its dimensions and smooth on it's internal bore.  It's frequently used to make hydraulic cylinders and such.  I usually buy it at

http://www.speedymetals.com/s-204-round-tube.aspx

Chuck

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2012, 01:28:04 AM »
Got started on the crankshaft today.  Started out with a piece of 1.5" x 5/8" cold rolled steel 5.5" long.  After measuring and laying out, I made cut lines along the length of each side of the shaft, then drilled and bandsawed out the opening between the webs.  All this was done to relieve stresses in the metal before laying out the center holes on each end which will be used to turn the shaft between centers.

Here I have the piece mounted between centers ready to turn the connecting rod journal.  I added a driving dog after this picture was taken.

In this picture I've finished turning the connecting rod journal.

Next I need to cut away the waste on both ends to start turning the outer ends of the crankshaft...

Uh oh... That doesn't look right... Crap!   :censored: (to borrow from Zee...)

OK, a nap and 3 hours later, I've started a second crankshaft crankshaft.  This time I managed to cut off the right pieces

Maybe I can get this piece finished without screwing it up.

Chuck

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2012, 01:38:25 AM »
Nice Chuck!   Got a double to do in my near future.....I'm watching everybody!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2012, 01:47:33 AM »
Chuck maybe I don't understand the ways of making a crank. By sawing the metal towards the journal and then turning the journal on two already sawed points and then turning the shaft part on the other two sawed points. When you saw these point it is my understanding that this stress reliefs the metal. My point is, after you turn the journal and move to the new point for the crank, doesn't this throw the journal off. By this I mean when you stress relief the metal it moves, so if you already have your points marked on the ends it would be off, would it not? Since I have never made a crank can you answer my question so I can understand all that is involved?

Don

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2012, 02:23:05 AM »
Don,

I first made all the cuts in the first picture.  This relieved the stresses and let the metal move to its new shape.  You might be able to see that the saw kerfs are slightly wider at the ends than in the middle.

Then I marked and drilled the 2 counter-sunk holes on each end... One set for the connecting rod journals and one set for the main journals.  When laying out I measured all points from the same edge.  Usually you don't get any additional movement of the metal during the turning process.  Does that help?

Chuck

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2012, 03:28:48 AM »
OK, got the crankshaft pretty well finished.

Got the dimensions all pretty much right on, which actually surprised me...   :ThumbsUp:

Chuck

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2012, 04:01:01 AM »
Thanks Chuck that helps alot. I had seen some cut after the mark had been placed in the end. So that would cause the offset to be off. Now I understand it alot better.
By the way your crank looks great Chuck, and your are making good time with this engine. I will keep following and learning as you post.

Thanks Don

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2012, 04:53:59 AM »
I'm really enjoying watching, Chuck. Really nice work.

--Tim

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2012, 07:36:30 AM »
You're really moving along here Chuck ! - That's a very good looking crankshaft  :ThumbsUp:

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2012, 11:57:27 AM »
Impressive as always Chuck. Not just the crankshaft but everything looks just great.  Looking forward to each new update!!

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal