Author Topic: Hornsb-Akroyd Crawler Tractor build  (Read 40597 times)

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
Re: Hornsb-Akroyd Crawler Tractor build
« Reply #165 on: April 04, 2017, 06:40:58 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments.

I have attached a PDF file of the bevel gear design sequence that I use.  If I have forgotten any thing or you need clarification on any of it let me know and I will revise it.
Gail in NM

I would like to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #166 on: April 04, 2017, 06:55:14 PM »
Great reading Gail and thanks for taking the time to do the write up. I will add it to the gear spreadsheet in plans and drawings in the parallel depth bevel gears section if it's alright by you, and post a modified spreadsheet after.

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #167 on: April 04, 2017, 06:57:01 PM »
Great document - makes sense reading through the first time, think I will go through the exercise with the most recent gears I cut, think that would internalize it better. Thanks!!
Chris

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #168 on: April 04, 2017, 09:46:32 PM »
Belated birthday greetings Gail,   Still following and learning    :popcorn:          Best Wishes           Terry

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #169 on: April 05, 2017, 12:13:59 AM »
Birthday, what? And a week long party. Shoot, it takes me two weeks to get over a two day drunk anymore: don't see how you kids do it  :stir: :lolb:. What did Coot get you for your birthday? Carry on.

Eric

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
« Reply #170 on: April 07, 2017, 07:20:13 PM »
Thanks for following along everyone and thanks for the kind comment on the bevel gear PDF,

Don, the PDF is in the public domain so you can do what ever you would like with it.  Your spread sheets are are well known and quite respected. You do a lot of work on them.

Chris, If you go through te\he exercise with the gears you recently cut I hope the results look a lot like yours. It    would be good to know that I have not mislead anyone.

Eric, Doc does not let me drink anymore so recovery was quick.  The 7 days was actually 2 days getting ready, 2 days of party and 3 days clean up/recovery.  Coot is not much for presents.  Just a friendly pounce and tail wag. But that is all I ask from him and it means a lot.  Actually Coot had a couple of friends over for the party, but they mostly stayed in the back yard playing with the grandkids except when food was involved.

Progress on crawler is slow.  Mobility scooter batteries died. I put in a set of old ones I had but they were even worse.  New batteries will arrive Wednesday so I can go grocery shopping again.  When I run out of groceries I don't eat and then progress on anything really slows down.

After tapping the gear hubs, I reamed them to remove the burrs left from the tapping operation.  Made up the shaft that the rear axle drive gears and one set of bevel gears mount on.  The shaft is 3/16 diameter with flats for the set screws in the gears.  The ends are stepped down to 11/8 diameter to fit a 1/8 X 1/4 flanged ball bearing on each end. The bearings will fit in each of the chassis side frames to support the shaft.

Next up will be the bracket tosupport and align the bevel gears on this shaft and couple to the drive shaft coming back from the engine gear boxes.
Gail in NM

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #171 on: April 07, 2017, 09:58:22 PM »
Everything looks really good Gail.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #172 on: April 08, 2017, 12:02:57 AM »
Parts look spectacular as always. The way it always is: takes longer getting ready and cleaning up afterwards than the party does: hmm, seems I've heard Lou say something along the same lines  :lolb: :lolb:. That's all you could ever want from Coot anyway. DOG has started helping me keep the wheels on my motorcycles, um, well, um, lubed  :lolb: :lolb:. I could just choke him, but, at our age: when you gotta go, you gotta go  :naughty:. :lolb:

Eric

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #173 on: April 08, 2017, 01:14:40 AM »
Nice looking parts Gail!

Dave

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
« Reply #174 on: April 09, 2017, 09:23:29 PM »
Thanks Bob, Eric and Dave.

With most of the parts made for the rear axle bevel gear drive it's almost time to tie them together. The main part still needed is the bracket to hold everything in place.

Since I am building parts for two crawlers I need two brackets.  I started out with some 3/8 6061 plate and brought it to width and long enough for both brackets plus some space for  a saw cut between them.While it is still righd I milled out the inside where all the goodies go and drilled and reamed the 1/4 and 5/16 inch holes for the bearings. Notice the engraved line that I put in to indicate where to saw.

After sawing apart I rounded the end where I had saw cut.

A family photo of all the parts ready for assembly.  The spacer above the 26 tooth gear has not been mentioned. It keeps the far side bearing in place and positions the 26 tooth gear. Also, not shown, is a collar that goes on the 1/ 8 drive shaft to keep the shaft in place and retain the outter bearing for that shaft.  It is a stock I item that I make up in bulk so was on hand. but never fear, my stock is low and I won't have enough to finish this project so I wii be making some more soon. The little fly specks in the upper left corner are 2-56 x 1/8 set screws for the gear hubs.

Assembly starts with the pinion, inner bearing, bracket, outer bearing and collar strung like beads on the 1/8 inch drive shaft. Every thing is pressed together with firm finger pressure and tightened up.  The bearings are 1/8  1/4 flanged ball bearings.  They are a kiss fit in the bracket so there is no axial pressure on the inner races of the bearings.

The 3/16 X 5/16 flanged bearings are installed from the inside of the bracket.

The bevel grar and spacer are positioned between the bearings in mesh with the pinion and the 3/16 shaft run through the whole mess and the gear set screw tightened.

The drive gears for the rear axle assemblies are added and the sub assembly is ready to install in the chassis. Of course I had to play with it for a little while.  Runs smooth as silk with almost no backlash.  (Sigh of relief).
Gail in NM

[

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #175 on: April 09, 2017, 09:34:50 PM »
That gear bracket came out great!

And I missed that you are building two crawlers, both the same

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #176 on: April 09, 2017, 10:11:06 PM »
That gear bracket came out great!
And I missed that you are building two crawlers, both the same

What that fellow who has elves working for him said.  ;D

Seriously. Nice!  :ThumbsUp:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
« Reply #177 on: April 09, 2017, 10:17:38 PM »
Thanks Chris and Zee.
Yes, both crawlers will be the same.  It does not take a lot of extra time to make a second set of parts once you are set up.  I will assemble one crawler and the second set of parts will go to my building buddy in Utah for him to assemble.  Actually he will come down here to do the assembly, probably in October.  We have been building toys with each other for over 20 years.  Right now he can't do much as he is spending 1/2 of his time in California with his elderly mother (90's) but we still help each other when we can and make the Post Office rich as we send parts back and forth.
Gail in NM

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #178 on: April 09, 2017, 10:22:36 PM »
Thanks Chris and Zee.
Yes, both crawlers will be the same.  It does not take a lot of extra time to make a second set of parts once you are set up.  I will assemble one crawler and the second set of parts will go to my building buddy in Utah for him to assemble.  Actually he will come down here to do the assembly, probably in October.  We have been building toys with each other for over 20 years.  Right now he can't do much as he is spending 1/2 of his time in California with his elderly mother (90's) but we still help each other when we can and make the Post Office rich as we send parts back and forth.
Gail in NM
Nice!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #179 on: April 10, 2017, 03:22:14 AM »
Gail........the parts look great and it really helps seeing them assembled into an assembly.  :ThumbsUp:

So Chris..........please.......... please tell me that you're also making a second set of Lombard parts for your good friend that lives out in Oregon!  :naughty: I'll be more than happy to reimburse you for the postage cost.  ;D

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal