Author Topic: Hornsb-Akroyd Crawler Tractor build  (Read 39937 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Hornsb-Akroyd Crawler Tractor build
« Reply #150 on: March 05, 2017, 08:34:46 PM »
Slick diagram - have to study that one some more...

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
« Reply #151 on: March 08, 2017, 04:55:33 AM »
Got tlhe 13 tooth mating bevel pinions done.  I needed 4 but while I was set up for the 26 tooth gear I finished up the 4 extra blanks with the oversize bore in them. So I made an extra 4 pinions to match them. The extras will go into the "future projects"  bin. The bevel gears run smoothly in a temporary lash up for testing.

That is the last of the gears that go in the chassis portion.  There will be more gears to cut for the two gearboxes but those will all go on to the power unit that bolts on to the chassis.  That will let me work on the engine and gearboxes separate from the chassis and bolt them to each other after all the fittin filing and fussing are done. But for now it is back to the chassis unit.  Next up will be the jockey brackets hat hold the bevel gear pairs.
Gail in NM

I would like to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #152 on: March 08, 2017, 05:04:52 AM »
Those look great!

:popcorn:

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #153 on: March 08, 2017, 02:20:35 PM »
Nice gears Gail.

Chris the diagram I use for all bevel gears starts the same way draw a rectangle using the number of teeth for the sides. The diagonals are the pitch line. This works for both parallel depth and true bevel gears.

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #154 on: March 08, 2017, 02:29:04 PM »
Nice gears Gail.

Chris the diagram I use for all bevel gears starts the same way draw a rectangle using the number of teeth for the sides. The diagonals are the pitch line. This works for both parallel depth and true bevel gears.

Dan

Looks like a great way to do it. The main thing I was struggling with was finding the proper face width on the teeth.
Also, what about the calculations for the 2nd/3rd cut on a parallel depth gear? How do you do that?

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #155 on: March 08, 2017, 02:38:57 PM »
Chris,
I use a book called "Gear Design Simplified", it has the formulas I use. It also stated that the face length should not be longer than 1/3 of the theoretical pitch cone. That is a modern rule and does not apply to historic gears like Shay gears.

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #156 on: March 08, 2017, 03:19:28 PM »
Chris,
I use a book called "Gear Design Simplified", it has the formulas I use. It also stated that the face length should not be longer than 1/3 of the theoretical pitch cone. That is a modern rule and does not apply to historic gears like Shay gears.

Dan
Thanks, I will look that one up.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #157 on: March 20, 2017, 10:22:50 PM »
Chris,

Dan
My copy just arrived, looks lkke just the reference book I was looking for. Thanks!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #158 on: March 28, 2017, 04:29:43 PM »
Chris,
I use a book called "Gear Design Simplified", it has the formulas I use.
My copy just arrived, looks lkke just the reference book I was looking for. Thanks!
Chris that's the book I use to make the Gear spreadsheets that I posted in plans and drawings and very good book.

Gail outstanding work bud and your and inspiration to follow..... :praise2:

Don

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
« Reply #159 on: April 02, 2017, 09:37:25 PM »
Sorry for not having posted for a while.  Things got busy.  I chad a party for 77th birthday and made it a triple 7 party by stretching it out for 7 days.  Also got a new retaining wall built for the front yard and a lot of other gardening done.

In the shop.  made a jig for drilling and tapping the set screw holes in the gear hubs.  Screwed it and a few gears up.  Seems the Bridgeport was out of tram in the X axis by 0.070 in 10 inches.  How do you knock a BP out of tram by that much and not know it?  I don't know.  I was OK a couple of weeks before and I don't remember any crashes. Any how it is back in tram to within 0.0005 in 10 inches in both axis now.  New drill and tap jig made and the gear hubs almost done.  While I was traming the Bridgport I made a few modifications to it to help with the low vision situation.  One more mod to go on it soon as some parts arrive from China.

Here are a few photos of the drill tapping of the gear hubs

First up is the jig mounted in the mill.  The Jig is a 3/4 inch cube of steel.  The holes on top are sized for a tap drill. The hole is the end is for a 5/16 diameter hub.  The other end is identical except the hole is for a 3/8 diameter hub. If you look in the hub hole you can see a hole coming in from the bottom of the jig.  It is sized as clearance for a 2-56 tap.

Here is a gear in the jig ready to drill.  I just hold the gear in place by hand for drilling.  If you look to the right side you can see a rod that goes into the jig.  It is a knockout bar to remove the gear as they can be tight some times from the burr raised by the drill.

Then the gear is rotated 180 degrees and the jig used for tapping the hole.  Of course all the gears were drilled first and then tapped.

Up next will be the gear box that holds the bevel gear set and the drive gears for the rear axel and the associated shafting.

Since there seems to be a lot of interest in bevel gears I will try to clean up my CAD solution to constant height bevel gear design and publish it in the  next week.  It's easy as it uses the CAD to do all the math.

Gail in NM
I would like to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #160 on: April 02, 2017, 09:43:03 PM »
Those CAD drawings would be very interesting Gail and looking forward to seeing them. Can you gave a sequence of how you go about it? By the way great work and Happy 77th!

Don
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 10:03:55 PM by Don1966 »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #161 on: April 02, 2017, 09:47:35 PM »
Slick setup for drilling and tapping the gears - have to remember that one!

:popcorn:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #162 on: April 02, 2017, 09:58:24 PM »
Happy 77 Gail.

And yes, always interested in seeing bevel gears being made.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #163 on: April 02, 2017, 10:21:36 PM »
Glad to see an update Gail.  I love this project.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline rudydubya

• Western Arkansas USA
« Reply #164 on: April 02, 2017, 10:27:15 PM »
Congratulations on your 77th, Gail.  Hope the party was a grand one.  Still following quietly.

Regards,
Rudy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal