Author Topic: Hornsb-Akroyd Crawler Tractor build  (Read 39946 times)

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
Re: Hornsb-Akroyd Crawler Tractor build
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2016, 02:51:38 AM »
Thanks Kerrin.
That build was started before there were any serious model enginering forums on the internet and I was just starting to useing digital cameras to document builds.  So no build thread was ever done.

Chris,
Not many CAT drawings that I know of for early CATs.  Coles has (or at least had) castings and drawings for the Holt engine.  Several of them have been built by folurm members.  George Brittnell  has shown photos of his quite oftem and offered grelat ladvice and assistance to other builders.
Gail in NM
l
I would like to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Offline kvom

« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2016, 01:13:31 AM »
George himself would be extra proud of the ditcher.  Really superb.  A video of it shoveling would be great.   :cheers:

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2016, 04:35:09 AM »
Here is an early very poor video of the ditcher while we were testing the controls and learning how to run it.  I lost most of the good videos during a commputer crash. Need to make a new one showing it all painted up in finlished form.  I actually llike the lunpainted version better as the paint covers up the details in photographs.
Gail in NM
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVnqHXbH7WQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVnqHXbH7WQ</a>

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2016, 04:54:43 AM »
Now back to our regularly scheduled program -- at least for a little while.

With all the track parts completed it's assembly time.  After holding two plates and a roller in position and inserting the hinge pin it was very clear that I either needed one more hand or an assembly jig.  Jig option won oout.

A piece of 4.5 mm acrylic sheet was cut on the laser engraver with pockets for the rollers. 

A length of track is assembled.  The hinge pins are a finger perss fit in the track plates.  Later, after I am sure I don't need to do any modifications, they will be Loctited iin place.  They are firm enough for testing now.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2016, 03:04:00 AM »
Really cranking out those tracks! Very nice.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2016, 05:35:04 AM »
Hi Gail,
 At this rate you will have it finished by Xmas !!  :lolb:

For somebody who said it would be a slow build, I'd hate to think what you could do if you were in a hurry!!

Looking really good!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2016, 05:44:05 AM »
Thanks Chris and Kerrin.
I am sure that you and most others realize that a lot of the track work was done before I started this thread.  I was a bit nervous about the tracks as I had not done any before so I wanted to be sure that they were going to be OK before publishing.  With the tracks debugged things are going to slow up a bunch.

I cut a couple of sprockets on the laser for testig. Mounted them on shafts and clamped the shafts in a pair of vices.
Here is an assembled track ready to start testing.

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2016, 06:09:07 AM »
and to finish out the track segment of the build here is short video of testing in progress.

One of the sprockets shafts was mounted in the lathe.  The other, on the left was mounted in a live chuck that has it's shank in ball bearings.  I normally use it to support long thin spring winding mandrels in the lathe tailstock.  On the first test run the sprocket teeth were "picking" at the rollers when the track was slack.  A quick change to the tooth shape on the sprocket's design and a couple of new test sprockets solved the problem.  I had not designed in quite enough clearancee in the sprocket.

The video just shows the track running, but a lot of tests were done.  First the tension in the the track asl/ adjusted from very loose to who would of thought it. Again with no problems.  The sprockets were offset by 1/4 inch each way and tens/ion tested again.  finally with teh tracks slightly loose pressure was elxerted on the side of the track with a roller to simulate a hard turn.  With no problems noted the track design is considered complete.  I will still wait to secure the hinge pins however as something may show up and I might want to add another plate or two.

Now I am going to take a few days off from this thread to play with my new Christmas present that I bought for myself.  I got a new industrial vildeo camera to mount on  the tool makers microscope.  Adjustable cross hairs, zoom len and all that sort of stuff.  I can no longer see the cross hairs on the optical microscope on it.  Preliminary tests are all looking good so a permanent mount has been started.
Gail in NM
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zSvA4f58gE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zSvA4f58gE</a>

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2016, 04:15:07 AM »
Thanks Chris and Kerrin.
I am sure that you and most others realize that a lot of the track work was done before I started this thread.  I was a bit nervous about the tracks as I had not done any before so I wanted to be sure that they were going to be OK before publishing.  With the tracks debugged things are going to slow up a bunch.

I cut a couple of sprockets on the laser for testig. Mounted them on shafts and clamped the shafts in a pair of vices.
Here is an assembled track ready to start testing.

Actually I had not realized that the track work was started earlier, but it is still an impressive job! The video looks great too, running very smoothly.

:popcorn:  :popcorn:

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2016, 06:29:52 AM »
I did not mean to mislead any one.  I had about a 3 week lead on the thread with the first week spent doing CAD work.  The track parts went fairly fast as I coould do other chores between part changes on the CNC.  Once I have a drawing I can program quite quickly and I do my designs to fit  what the CNCs will do quickly and well.  But now I will have a lot of manual operations and that will be painfully slow.
Gail in NM

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2016, 06:37:12 AM »
Gail,
What a great project. I know I'll enjoy watching your progress work but seeing the final self propelled machine will be something else!
I can't wait for the next installment.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2016, 05:01:19 AM »
I did not mean to mislead any one.  I had about a 3 week lead on the thread with the first week spent doing CAD work.  The track parts went fairly fast as I coould do other chores between part changes on the CNC.  Once I have a drawing I can program quite quickly and I do my designs to fit  what the CNCs will do quickly and well.  But now I will have a lot of manual operations and that will be painfully slow.
Gail in NM
No problem at all! Timeframes don't matter, the project is great, and we appreciate your sharing the adventure with us!

:popcorn:

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2016, 06:59:38 AM »
Hi Gail, very interesting to follow that great project. Thanks for showing the details.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2016, 07:16:50 AM »
Hi Gail,
 No problem that you started ahead of posting! It's still a great project! Just happy as to follow along, there's always something to learn, & possibly use in a project, keep up the good work!
Oh don't forget the peanut supply for the hound!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2016, 05:22:41 PM »
Very nice project Gail, I have been following along quietly. These tracks on both your and Chris' builds are quite interesting!!

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal