Author Topic: Gasket cutter improvement?  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Myrickman

Gasket cutter improvement?
« on: December 22, 2016, 10:23:33 PM »
I made this cutter for some of the larger engines I work on but could easily be made smaller for the model builds. That and I had to make something for a Christmas gift for someone who has "every" tool....This is made from a piece of 3/4 x 1 x 7" piece of aluminum and uses a piece of 1/4-20 as the lead screw. The screw is turned down to ~0.16" where is goes through the far end and is threaded for 10-32. A fiber washer, thumbscrew and locknut puts some resistance on the screw making  the moveable pin stay put. Once assembled, the pin and blade is set to minimum  whole number spacing which in this case is 1" radius/2" diameter. Then, using the mill, it is scribed every 1/4" and stamped for actual diameter. The blade groove is 3/8" x 0.01 deep and two 6-32 screws hold it down. It will take box cutter sections or #1 xacto blades. I have one of the small ones of these and it does sometimes present problems adjusting it without the lead screw.  Still, the design does make short work of multiple gaskets. As I was stamping the scale, darn if I didn't mis stamp the 7 one division too close on BOTH cutters...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal