Author Topic: Triple Expansion Engine - Id help  (Read 4560 times)

Offline bruedney

• Wellington, New Zealand
Triple Expansion Engine - Id help
« on: December 22, 2016, 05:46:26 AM »
Hi everyone

I have just brought home from our clubrooms an orphan engine that has been calling to me for the last 2 years to give it some TLC.

It was apparently built by an engineer and his sons (along with a steel boiler) and was gifted to HVMES some years ago.

It ran as soon as I connected the compressor up to it but not very well. The engine will not reverse properly and the governor valve was seized and the drive belt for the governor belt is missing.

Any help in identifing the possible designer/design would be helpful. Next year I hope to find out a bit more from some club members who seem to have a bit of knowledge of it's origins.

Cheers and Merry Christmas to everyone

Bruce

‘Results! Why man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won’t work.’ — Thomas Alva Edison

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
Re: Triple Expansion Engine - Id help
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 07:13:50 AM »
A compound engine won't run very well on air unless it's equipped with a simpleing valve, which I don't see on that one. I may be missing something though..... can't see the other side...

Such a valve allows all the cylinders to be supplied with air at the same time and run as if it were three simple engines on the same crank.

Looks like a sound engine though...  :ThumbsUp:  Even has a proper condenser...

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline bruedney

• Wellington, New Zealand
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 07:40:13 AM »
Thanks Pete

This thing weighs a ton (not literally but it was darn heavy)

Here is a photo of the other side with the condensor removed (we found one source of the weight - the condensor is steel - the other source is the base which double as the water tank which is 8" x 4" steel box)

Anyone have any details on the construction of a Simpling Valve?

Cheers

Bruce
‘Results! Why man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won’t work.’ — Thomas Alva Edison

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 09:37:11 AM »
More a small launch engine than a model, may be worth asking the "Steam Boat Assoc" as it is more their sort of size.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 11:55:04 AM »
Small launch triple.   Appears to be a one off build.    Running on compressed air will result in over expansion and a very lumpy engine.  Try opening the drain valves on the LP when you run it on compressed air.      Should run better.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 11:57:33 AM »
Stephenson link reverse marine triple with a flyball governor is a flight of whimsy.   I think the builder just wanted a governor on it.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Akitene

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 06:29:01 PM »
First of all, season's greetings to all.

-> Very interesting engine, Bruce. Judging by the size of the tools laying around, it was most certainly intended to power up a small launch. What are the cylinders bores and stroke?

There's a simpling valve on this engine, it's the small lever valve connecting the main valve body to the receiver.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 09:34:04 PM »
First of all, season's greetings to all.

-> Very interesting engine, Bruce. Judging by the size of the tools laying around, it was most certainly intended to power up a small launch. What are the cylinders bores and stroke?

There's a simpling valve on this engine, it's the small lever valve connecting the main valve body to the receiver.

Yes...but technically it's not a simpling valve....it's a starting valve.   Let me explain.    That valve is far too small to operate the engine as a 3 cylinder simple.   what it does do is put some live steam into the IP,LP receiver which puffs some steam into the LP...this will get the HP cylinder  ( the small one) off of dead center and get it started during maneuvering....

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Akitene

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 06:49:11 PM »
You're right, Dave. This valve is (almost) always referred to as a "simpling" one, more rarely as a "starting" or even an "impulse" one. These latter expressions explicitly describe how the the valve works. A "simpling valve" doesn't turn a compound or triple expansion engine into a simple one, it only helps starting the engine when the IP piston is stuck at TDC or BDC.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 10:18:31 PM »
Well    When I run them, they're starting valves...

Damned ijjit!

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 12:54:51 AM »
And being Britsh it's an Impulse Valve ;D

It used to start the engine when THE HP CYLINDER is on top or bottom dead centre. With engines I have operated, one has the ability to select either the IP or LP cylinder for admission of the starting steam. The trick is to not let the engine stop with the HP on centre. Usually this can be achieved by using the links and a touch of throttle as the engine comes to rest.

Even though the telegraph may be at STOP, steam engines should not actually remain stationary for long periods and need to be moved slowly a couple of revs after 3 mins held stationary.

Two different ships I served in Stop was actually 5 rpm ahead to prevent hogging of the LP turbine. This is dependent on the type of turbine bearings fitted and the boiler pressure combined with the amount of superheat. i.e. the higher these are the more likely hogging.

Regards
Bob
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 01:04:55 AM by Maryak »
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal