Author Topic: Ring Roller  (Read 2603 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Ring Roller
« on: December 19, 2016, 03:32:37 PM »
I'm a bit bored this morning--Was supposed to go across town on a design job, but it got delayed until 1:00 this afternoon. So---Time to play!!! This is an idea I seen somewhere, and the beauty and utility of it just dazzled me. Many times over the years, I have wanted a ring roller. I never bought one nor made one, but check this out for a nifty idea. Keep in mind, we are machinists here, so the red rollers could be just about any shape you could turn on a lathe. Please excuse the rather cheesy looking vice--I just made it up out of my head after a quick trip out to my main garage to look at my own vice. This idea is a concept only. If you make one, it`s up to you to figure out the details. The beauty in this is that you can vary the size of ring that is rolled by simply opening or closing the vice a bit. This is the neatest thing I have seen in a long time.---Brian

Offline kvom

Re: Ring Roller
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 07:31:52 PM »
Neat idea.  Probably works best where the rollers are mounted on removable jaws.  And  a method of locking the jaw in position would be useful.  I know on my bench vise the handle likes to fall down to a vertical position unless held.

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 05:33:01 PM »
That is a very nifty design.
kvom, I wrap an elastic around the handle/shaft to prevent this. A more complete solution would be to drill through and put a ball with spring to keep the handle tight.

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline KB

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 06:25:41 PM »
I've been wanting to build one as well;

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal