Author Topic: Another Kerzel  (Read 8655 times)

Offline Doc

• USA ND
Re: Another Kerzel
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2016, 04:22:45 AM »
Hahaha I can relate to the sleep on it have had to do this myself a time or two.

Good work looking good!

Offline ///

• Perf, Straya
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2016, 06:14:21 AM »
The writer Marcel Proust was famous for reporting that one day he inserted a comma, and the next day removed it.  He still managed to write some very long books.  If you had drilled one hole and then plugged it the next day you'd be in a similar situation.  As is is you've made considerable progress.   :ThumbsUp:

Modify the arch of the cap to make the flats longer.  Then a small open end wrench can be used to tighten.

Thanks kvom!
Apologies for missing your first reply, don't know how I missed that, I got a good laugh. I have to admit I had never before heard of Marcel Proust and had to edjumacate myself... wow!
I sure hope my build doesn't end up in a similar situation  :Lol:
His 'novel' "In search of lost time" is 4300 pages in the current translation, was started in 1909 and not finished at his death in 1922!  :o

Regarding the bearing cap, thanks, I had considered making the flats longer by using a smaller fillet radius but it kind of ruined the look of the part (in 3D).
I have since found a 5mm socket in my bag of random tools and I think I can probably get away with thinning the socket to fit the 7mm counterbore.
There will be little material at the 'corners' of the socket, but I don't expect I'll ever be torqueing it enough to be a problem.
If the thinned socket does fail, then I'll try at making a tube socket like the type pictured... I need a long reach socket for the spark-plug anyway, a Rimfire Micro Viper Z1, which is also 5mm like the nuts.
Interestingly, Rimfire list the Z series as 6mm Hex, but I measure it at 5mm across flats, I'm guessing Rimfire measure across corners  :shrug:

Simon

"The reality is that without cheap imported machines, I would be spending my time doing something less creative and less enjoyable" - Captain Jerry

Offline ///

• Perf, Straya
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2016, 06:24:03 AM »
Hi Simon

Looking good -  :popcorn:

Would you be willing to share the metric plans?

Cheers

Bruce

Cheers Bruce!
Sure, please be aware though that there aren't any plans per se .... yet.
Currently the 'plans' are: ~2/3 finished as 3D model parts, penciled scribbles on notepad, dimensioned off the 3D parts as I get ready to machine them.
I had started to replace my dimensions on David Kerzels drawings, but then I started changing things and his drawings were no longer suitable...
When I'm done with the build I will look at doing some 'As Built' drawings, omitting my mistakes ofcourse ;)
Simon

"The reality is that without cheap imported machines, I would be spending my time doing something less creative and less enjoyable" - Captain Jerry

Offline ///

• Perf, Straya
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2016, 06:28:19 AM »
Hahaha I can relate to the sleep on it have had to do this myself a time or two.

Good work looking good!

Cheers Doc!
Haha, yes I do a lot of 'sleeping on it', though sometimes the 'it' doesn't let me sleep easy  >:(
Lifelong problem, too many things rattling around in my head at bed time.
Simon

Offline ///

• Perf, Straya
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2016, 06:44:42 AM »
I could have sworn when I visited this site on my phone yesterday, there was a post here from 'plataman', now it is gone :shrug:

Oh well, After yesterday's christmas lunch with the in-laws, I only managed enough time in the shop to drill one hole in the bearing cap blank, hardly worth a photo, however, in-case anyone has wondered about the rather rough looking finish in the left-hand bearing block, it's actually not as rough as it looks.

While trying to slide the this block over the 12mm rod before machining the angle, it would not budge, I'm guessing the part had shrunk a little and the hole was now a bee's thingy smaller.

I resorted to scraping, by sliding the block on the rod as far as it would go then removing, the rod would leave a mark where the tight contact was.
With a very sharp (new) exacto blade, I was able to shave minute amounts from the area and then test fit again, repeating the process until the block was a nice sliding fit on the rod.
The shavings were so thin that they would float away in the air currents in the room!
I've never done this before, but most certainly will again, even if it looks a bit ugly, the fit is close to perfect. (nothing IS perfect ;))
Simon

Offline ///

• Perf, Straya
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2016, 11:43:26 AM »
Well, that’s Christmas done for another year, I hope everyone had a good holiday!
Unfortunately I’ve not done anything further on the engine since before the Chrissy break, so I’m itching to get back into the workshop but that’s not likely until after New Year. Even then, I’m going to be busy with family stuff.
I’ve had time to drop-in and catch-up with others’ projects, but no time to post updates to my own. As mentioned in the previous post, I only managed enough time on Sunday (18th Dec) to drill one measly hole in the bearing cap blank.
It was a similar story for the following day (Mon 19th), I found enough time after work to drill and counterbore the caps.

Simon

Offline ///

• Perf, Straya
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2016, 11:45:40 AM »
Work was quiet on Tuesday so I left early and got quite a bit done in the shop.
First up was milling the flats on either side of the caps. It was here that I noticed the mill needed tramming, again. One day I’ll get around to modifying this X2! I’ve only had it a decade or so :rolleyes:

Now the square work was done for this, it was time to remove the vice and mount the rotary table.
One day I’ll have a mill with a table big enough to have both vice and RT mounted together!
With the head trammed and RT set-up and centred, I moved over to the lathe to quickly turn-up another fixture, this time to hold the bearing blank, once done, it was chucked in the RT collet holder and the work clamped down, ready for rounding the bearing cap.
I had earlier (at work, it was very quiet!) roughly drawn the cap and milling cutter start/end positions in AutoCAD to determine the total angle I needed to turn, which measured a smidge over 105°.

With that done, it was time to remove the RT and set-up and square the vice again (urgh!) for removing the excess material and then parting the caps. I decided to do this with the 0.5mm slitting saw but struck a problem.

This is a Taig (Peatol) holder I had purchased some time ago but it has never been very useful, having clearance issues of some sort almost every time I have needed to use it.
So, it was time to make a better one with less clearance issues.
The following holder(and all the earlier fixtures) was turned from a length of 18mm (0.71”) diameter rod that machines beautifully. Unfortunately, I now only have a short stub of this left. I’m hoping I can find some more old electric typewriters I can strip down to salvage similar sized bars ;)
Old printers are also a good source of nice machinable mystery steel, but they’re rarely larger than about ½” dia.

That took care of all my shop time for Tuesday, but I was happy with what I got done.
Simon

Offline ///

• Perf, Straya
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2016, 11:47:13 AM »
Wednesday it was time to slice off the excess material, this was quick and easy and I was surprised at how clean the saw cut was!

Much nicer than with the Taig holder, which I decided was due to the increased shank diameter (18mm/0.71”) making this holder far more rigid than the Taig version (9.5mm 3/8”)
It’s also nicer to use with the metric cap screw, the Taig one had some weird screw that none of my Allen/Hex keys would fit snuggly…. not even my imperial ones!
I could have sawn to finished size, but based on history with the Taig holder I thought it safer to saw oversize and finish with an endmill.

With the excess off, it was time to split the caps and reduce to final width which ended Wednesday’s shop time.

Simon

Offline ///

• Perf, Straya
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2016, 11:48:01 AM »
Thursday I couldn’t decide which part to make next, but looking at the trial fit I couldn’t help but think how nice it would be to see the studs and nuts in place….
For the first time in this build, I grabbed some non-salvaged, non-mystery metal from my stock.
A length of 1/8” (3.18mm) BMS was chucked in the lathe (ER32 collet) about 25mm long and turned to 2.95mm diameter, an M3 die was used to thread 6mm long, then the rod was parted off 17mm long and this was repeated 3 more times.
I then inserted the threaded end of one stud into the collet to face and thread the other end.
I was worried about damage to the existing thread from the sharp edges inside the hardened collet and I was right to be worried, but going over that end with the die again (by hand) cleaned up the threads. I need something else to do this, but the ER collet is all I have for now.
A test fit to see if the threads were ok..

The remaining three studs got the same treatment and then a cap was test fitted.

Now it was time for the nuts.
I have some 5mm (0.2”) hex mild steel stock and I decided the nut should be about 2.5mm thick.
Modelling this in 3D (see an earlier post) the proportions were pleasing to my eye, so that is what I went with. I’m sure there is a standard out there but this looks fine to me.
The 4mm ER32 collet I was using for the studs has 6 point gripping, but when I put the 6mm collet into the holder I realised it had 8 point gripping, DOH!
Oh well, off with the collet chuck and on with the 3 jaw.  The hex was faced and then the corners knocked off 30° with the side of a 60° single point threading insert. Drilled 15mm (~0.6”) deep with a 2.5mm drill then tapped M3. I couldn’t find my good M3 tap anywhere, I turned the workshop upside down and wasted a lot of time looking and ended up using a cheap and nasty looking M3 tap in frustration, but the threads actually cut quite nice and there was very little slop when test fit on a stud.
My parting tool reminded me I need some thinner ones, I’m wasting more material than I’m using on this small stuff.

To clean up the parted side of the nut I made a basic mandrel but ofcourse the die can’t cut right to the corner so a couple of washers were needed. With the nut threaded, the parting dag was taken care of with facing cuts and then the single point threading tool used again to knock the corners off.

It was now time to try reducing a 5mm socket to fit the 7mm (~0.27”) counterbore.
The socket turned nicely, surprisingly, but in a moment of insanity I forgot to halve the cross slide travel and cut way too deep. It was the sound of interrupted cutting that reminded me of my error, and two of the corners broke through… oh well, the socket fits with plenty of clearance and it still works fine at the torque levels I’m using it, but I’ll find another socket to reduce at a later date.

Now the socket, studs and nuts were done, it was time for another test fit.
Even though there were few parts made, Thursday felt productive and I’m quite happy with the result, but the studs do need shortening.

And that’s where Christmas took over.
I’m not sure where to go next, I was thinking the cylinder, piston and rings but I’ll need an ultra thin grooving tool and have decided is probably easier if I purchase from AR Warner and wait for delivery half way around the world.
Maybe I’ll continue at the back end here, line bore the bearing blocks/caps, turn the PB bushes, and move on to the crank.
Simon

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2016, 05:14:44 PM »
You are moving right along and everything looks so nice!!
Nice work and nice pictures!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Offline rudydubya

• Western Arkansas USA
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2016, 09:47:27 PM »
I'm enjoying following along, Simon.  And nice photography.  Looking forward to the rest of your build.

Regards,
Rudy

Offline ///

• Perf, Straya
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2016, 06:10:57 AM »
Cheers Gents!
I'm still refining the photography, biggest issue currently is the lighting. I have a hodgepodge of workshop lights, Incandescent, Halogen, LED, each with slightly different colour( you can see this in the reflections, yellow/orange/blue-white) so depending on location it plays havoc with the white balance which I have to try to massage in post-processing. I get it close to even, but sometimes the colours are a bit funky.

I have heard that pro photographers can take hundreds of shots to get one good one, I'm only taking 5 or so before I decide I have a usable one, so I have a way to go!  :Lol:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 06:20:19 AM by /// »
Simon

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2016, 08:54:45 AM »
Hi Simon,

Just catching up after Christmas, and enjoying following your excellent work.  Thank you particularly for including your slitting saw arbour design.  That will now be on my build list (after I buy the saw).

MJM
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline ///

• Perf, Straya
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2016, 08:12:57 AM »
Arbor! That's the word I was looking for!
Thanks MJM, when I was writing that post I knew there was a correct term, it just refused to come out  ::)

"Excellent work"? Thanks, but I don't believe I deserve that accolade, this is my first build and the body (block?) is the single most complex part I've made to date.
Perhaps reserve such words for the day I actually get this thing finished and, fingers crossed.... running!  :zap:
Simon

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2016, 01:59:56 PM »
Arbor! That's the word I was looking for!
Thanks MJM, when I was writing that post I knew there was a correct term, it just refused to come out  ::)

"Excellent work"? Thanks, but I don't believe I deserve that accolade, this is my first build and the body (block?) is the single most complex part I've made to date.
Perhaps reserve such words for the day I actually get this thing finished and, fingers crossed.... running!  :zap:

Oh it'll run....Nice work!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal