Author Topic: Flyboy Jim's Parsell & Weed Engine  (Read 50004 times)

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
Re: Flyboy Jim's Parsell & Weed Engine
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2017, 04:26:33 PM »
Next up was the Timing Gear Pin and Timing Gear.

I'll just post the pictures of this process.

The only thing notable about the timing gear is the fixture (similar to the one Todd made) I made for holding the timing gear stock.

Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2017, 08:09:05 PM »
Flying it right by the numbers Captain  8) :cheers:; proceed as filed.

Cletus

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2017, 02:55:30 AM »
Thanks Cletus,

Continuing on with my catch up.

The next 2 pieces were the Link and Link Pin.

Turned some brass round and threaded.

Then over to the mill to mill, drill, and ream for the Link Pin.

Machined the Link Pin and checked the fit with the Link.

Finished parts.

Jim
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 03:27:25 PM by Flyboy Jim »
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2017, 03:09:58 AM »
On to the Drive Gear and Running Side Crankshaft.

Turned the Drive Gear collar.

Then over to the mill to locate, drill and ream the hole for the Drive Gear Pin.

Turned the Running Side Crankshaft. Then located, drilled and reamed the holes for the Drive Gear Pin and Starting Handle Pin.

Did a test fit.

Finished pieces.

Fitted in place. There's no play at all and I can turn the Crankshaft by hand.  :whoohoo:

I think that gets me caught up on the missing posts. Back to the "Regular Scheduled Programming"!

Jim
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 11:29:52 PM by Flyboy Jim »
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2017, 03:38:15 AM »
OK................ I'm back to real time now.

I went back and made a copy of all my posts in this thread and saved them in a "Pages" (I'm a MAC user) document.  At first I wasn't sure how to do this, but discovered that if I clicked "Modify" on each post it brought up the original entry that I could copy and paste into my document.  I'm going to do the same for my other 4 build threads. Now I've just got to get a system set up for saving all the data on my computer!  :atcomputer:

Anyway, moving along. Next up was the Pivot, Pivot Yoke and Link Rod.

After making some 3/16" square out of some 1/2" bronze round I cut a slot in the end with my slitting saw.

Drilled and reamed for the pin.

Chucked into the 4 jaw and centered up. Turned, drilled and reamed for the Link Rod.

Set the RT up vertically and moved the 4 jaw over to it and milled the tab on the Pivot.

Made a fixture so I could mill the radius on the end of both the Pivot and Pivot Yoke. Worked good. The rod you see threaded into the Pivot is the Link Rod before I bent it to the shape called for.

After I was done using the Link Rod, I bent it to the required 15 degree angle, much the same way as Bill did.

Finished parts...........awaiting something to hold them in position.

It may have been in this thread or maybe my last build thread, but I remember having a discussion about the hassle I was having threading steel rod. Anyway, when I did my last order with MSC, I added a 5-40 OSG die to the order so I could try out a better die than what I had. Well I got to try it out in making up the Link Rod. Holy cow what a difference! It cut like butter...........to use an over-used phrase. I'm sure there's even better ones out there, but I was really impressed and will be getting more.

Jim
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 11:43:51 PM by Flyboy Jim »
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2017, 03:57:33 AM »
Nicely done!

I've never tried cutting the radius on the end like you did, though I have seen it described. How does it work out in practice? A number of light cuts, moving the rod slowly? Seems like it would have a tendency to grab, did you experience any of that?

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2017, 04:35:10 AM »
Nicely done!

I've never tried cutting the radius on the end like you did, though I have seen it described. How does it work out in practice? A number of light cuts, moving the rod slowly? Seems like it would have a tendency to grab, did you experience any of that?

As you said, I did light cuts and moved the rod slowly and didn't have any problems with grabbing. Having a 2" handle on the piece probably helped. My fixture could of been improved on however. I did have to hold the link down with a piece of scrap wood in order to keep it flat on the fixture. Shouldn't be too hard to come up with a better way to hold it down. I could of done it on the RT as well, but this seemed simpler.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2017, 04:39:35 AM »
Truly sharp tools make all the difference, Jim. It doesn't matter what the purpose, the edges must be right or there's no joy that day!! I have some cans that I put dull stuff in.  When the pile gets big enough, or I start to run out of sharp tools, then I go to sharpening mode. I either send 'em out or do 'em here (if I can). Too many parts ruined over the years..... :hammerbash:

And I gave up buying cheap. Just isn't worth the frustration. I've never done the numbers but I'll bet that cheap actually costs way more...

I'm lovin' your build!!!

:cheers:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2017, 04:41:53 AM »
Nice work on the link rod.  Glad your OSG die worked well for you.  I looked at those and they aren't inexpensive, so its a good thing it worked well!

Looking good Jim!
Kim

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2017, 04:51:41 AM »
Truly sharp tools make all the difference, Jim. It doesn't matter what the purpose, the edges must be right or there's no joy that day!! I have some cans that I put dull stuff in.  When the pile gets big enough, or I start to run out of sharp tools, then I go to sharpening mode. I either send 'em out or do 'em here (if I can). Too many parts ruined over the years..... :hammerbash:

And I gave up buying cheap. Just isn't worth the frustration. I've never done the numbers but I'll bet that cheap actually costs way more...

I'm lovin' your build!!!

Pete

Thanks Pete,

I agree completely. Back in my woodworking days, I remember taking the time to do a good job sharpening a plane blade. It felt so good using it. I swear you could give the plane a shove at one end of the board and go down and catch it at the other end!  ;) Of course part of that, just like metal cutting tools, was having good tool steel to start with.

I think tomorrow I'll cut a section of 1/8" W-1 tool steel and thread one end with my OSG die and the other with my "Brand X" die for comparison.

Jim

PS: Thanks Kim. I saw your post after I posted. Stand by for the die comparison test tomorrow!
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2017, 06:53:27 AM »
Make sure to use a little cutting oil.. that cheap black lard oil that's sold at hardware stores and used in pipe threading machines is pretty much universal for any cutting of carbon steels...

Pete
Retired, finally!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2017, 01:46:39 PM »
Make sure to use a little cutting oil.. that cheap black lard oil that's sold at hardware stores and used in pipe threading machines is pretty much universal for any cutting of carbon steels...

Pete

Thanks Pete. I've been using a liquid thread cutting oil, but I'll give some of the black lard oil a try. Is that what the stuff is that I often see sitting on lathes in a little container with a brush in it?

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #102 on: January 22, 2017, 02:12:41 PM »
Wonderful update Jim. The link rod and clevis look great to me.

Bilk

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #103 on: January 22, 2017, 02:50:32 PM »
Jim, that's probably correct. I have the stuff in a couple of no-spill 'cups' with a brush, a little squeeze bottle with a metal needle for parting, and an oil can if I want a bunch of it. Which is rare 'cause a little goes a long ways....

Oh, and there are two varieties available; light and dark. I use the light 'cause it doesn't stain as much as the dark but no big deal.

Pete
Retired, finally!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2017, 03:29:16 AM »
Back to another pair of castings.

After studying Bill's P & W thread forward and backwards, as well as the plans, I decided to tackle the Front & Back Cylinder Collars.

I smoothed the backside of the casting on my belt sander and then chucked it up in the 4 jaw as accurately as I could. After facing the collar to get a smooth surface I discovered that, if I took a cut to just inside of where the solid face starts, I could keep adjusting the 4 jaw for the best fit. Hopefully that makes sense.

After boring a hole, so I could get started with my boring bar, I bored part way out to the final size of 1". After I got bored with all that boring stuff  :lolb: , I took a time-out and cut the called for relief on the flanges.

Then I finished the boring to 1". Looks good enough to me!  :naughty:

That done I could turn the other 2 steps.

Trial fit of the water jacket.

Turned the piece around and faced the backside to get the correct thickness.

Except for a slight difference in the thickness dimension, the other piece was the same. Here's where I'm at so far.

Jim
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 11:52:30 PM by Flyboy Jim »
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal