Author Topic: Flyboy Jim's Parsell & Weed Engine  (Read 2135 times)

Online Kim

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1885
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Flyboy Jim's Parsell & Weed Engine
« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2017, 08:03:48 AM »
Very nice Jim.  You really seem to be getting the hang of those castings!
Kim

Offline J.L.

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 549
Re: Flyboy Jim's Parsell & Weed Engine
« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2017, 12:36:45 PM »
Precise work here Jim.
Well done!
You have very good equipment.
John

Offline crueby

  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2646
  • Rochester NY
Re: Flyboy Jim's Parsell & Weed Engine
« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2017, 02:22:23 PM »
Nicely done! I like that flex jig you made to clamp the casting, clever.

Online b.lindsey

  • Global Moderator
  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 8624
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Flyboy Jim's Parsell & Weed Engine
« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2017, 02:43:15 PM »
Well done Jim. The flex jig is a nice idea also!!

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 774
  • Oregon
Re: Flyboy Jim's Parsell & Weed Engine
« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2017, 06:30:38 PM »
Thanks guys. Yes, that flex jig worked out rather well.

Continuing on............I decided to locate the hole for the timing gear first and then locate the crank hole relative to that.
 


Then spot drilled and drilled. I'll have to tap the LH threads later, when my LH tap gets here.



Next was to locate the crank hole relative to the timing gear hole.



With the crank holes drilled and reamed, I could then mount both pieces in the vise and use my height gauge to determine the center of the crankshaft hole. This enabled me to determine how much I needed to mill off the Side Rod mounts.
 




Next I used my edge finder to determine the horizontal and vertical position of the Side Rod holes. Then spot drilled, drilled and threaded.
 






Next I turned the part over, indicated it level, then located and drilled the mounting holes.

 





After making a mounting block, I mounted the parts in the lathe, turned the oil spigot and drilled the oil holes.





Then, after some filing, it was off to the sand blaster to turn the mounts back in to castings again and bolt them on to the base.



I couldn't believe how many operations two, fairly simple looking pieces, required. I learned a lot about planning a sequence of operations with these pieces.

If nothing else.........I now have the neatest looking paper weight here in the Airpark.  ;)

Jim

Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline Don1966

  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5426
  • Morgan City, LA (Along the Gulf Coast)
Re: Flyboy Jim's Parsell & Weed Engine
« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2017, 06:53:21 PM »
Great work Jim and some thinging outside the box. Great setup I need to file that one. ..... :praise2:

Don

Offline Flyboy Jim

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 774
  • Oregon
Re: Flyboy Jim's Parsell & Weed Engine
« Reply #96 on: January 16, 2017, 06:27:10 AM »
Time to take a break from castings.

Thought I'd make something to attach to the castings, so tackled the timing gear and timing gear pin. Made the pin first. Looking back, I think it would of been better to make the timing gear first. More on that in a bit.

Anyway, chucked up some W-1 tool steel and turned and threaded the end.



Then turned to slightly under 0.188 to fit the 0.1875 (3/16") reamed hole that I'd be making in the timing gear. That is assuming that my 3/16" reamer would actually give me 0.1875!  :wallbang:
 


Parted off, turned around and turned the head to the correct thickness.



Then it was off to the mill to get to play with my new slitting saw.  :whoohoo:



Now for the timing gear. I needed a way to hold the gear stock, so after looking a Todd's picture cd I made a fixture to hold it. It ended up working great!



Turned the "spigot" (I guess that's what it's called............need some help here). Then drilled and reamed to 0.1875 (3/16")...... I thought!



Then over to the mill to drill and tap a couple of holes.




Parted off and faced to the proper width.





Finished.





Ok........... here's the deal with why I said I should of made the timing gear first and then turned the timing gear pin shaft to fit the bore in the timing gear. I made the timing gear, bored and reamed it to 0.1875 (3/16"). But the hole ended up measuring 0.1905 and I could insert a 0.190 pin gauge into the hole. What the heck!  :wallbang: My reamers are a cheap set I bought when first started out last winter.............might be time for some better ones. Luckily when I put it all together there was no play at all, so dodged a bullet here.

Jim
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 06:32:41 AM by Flyboy Jim »
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill