Author Topic: Flyboy Jim's Parsell & Weed Engine  (Read 50010 times)

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
Re: Flyboy Jim's Parsell & Weed Engine
« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2016, 05:26:54 PM »
Jim, you may consider one of these to put on the want list. I haven't tried one yet but like the idea. Less air volume, more pinpoint control I expect too, and probably less media consumption. If you have a way to buy from grainger (like your employer) you can get 50lb containers of glass bead media at a more attractive price.

https://www.amazon.com/Paasche-Airbrush-AEC-K-Abrasive-sprayer/dp/B001CJIHFI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483109563&sr=8-1&keywords=paasche+air+eraser

Harbor freight also has one for about $28 which is probably fine for infrequent use.

Bill
I have one of those, it does a very small area of spray so it takes forever to do even a square inch of blasting. Also quite finicky on air pressure, clogs a lot. I got better results when I found some finer sand than they provide with it. It was useful for taking painted logos off of plastic rail cars, but on metal it does very little.

I would also be concerned that the finish might be too fine. I'm thinking that the coarser sand gives the piece more of a pitted cast look. Our EAA chapter has a bead blaster down in the hanger. I'll give that a try sometime for comparison.

Jim

Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2017, 03:41:39 PM »
I decided to make the Side Rods next.

I'm making mine out of .250 1018 steel rod. Not the nicest stuff to turn................seems kind of "stringy" for lack of a better term.

Turned one end to size, threaded and center drilled for a live center.

Using a parting tool for a groover, I turned the rod to the correct diameter for the next section.

Extended the rod out of the collet and cut a groove to the correct diameter in two more places.

Then by using my left and right cutters, I was able to turn this section to the correct diameter.

Moved the part back into the collet, cut it off to the correct length, and beveled the end.

I didn't get any pictures showing the turning of the other end, but it worked about the same way.

Anyway, here's the completed parts. This should make a great cover picture for the new book I'm writing titled "Side Rods to Nowhere".  :atcomputer:

Jim
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 03:37:13 AM by Flyboy Jim »
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2017, 05:50:33 PM »
Nice!

:popcornsmall: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
(me and the shop elves watching along)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2017, 06:43:38 PM »
Still looking good Jim!!

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2017, 04:47:08 PM »
Thanks guys.

Bill, I'm studying your making of the rear supports, as well as Todd's picture cd, and may tackle those next. That would give me the basic structure that everything else radiates from.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline AOG

« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2017, 07:28:54 PM »
It's looking pretty good. Between your build and Bill's I'm starting to get the itch to make one of these.

Tony

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2017, 09:23:02 PM »
Jim, as I recall the only critical thing other than matching the height of the thru holes if the spacing of the hole on the governor side where the larger gear attaches, so that the two gears end up meshing nicely. The mounting holes are no more difficult that those on the front supports.

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2017, 03:15:56 AM »
Jim, as I recall the only critical thing other than matching the height of the thru holes if the spacing of the hole on the governor side where the larger gear attaches, so that the two gears end up meshing nicely. The mounting holes are no more difficult that those on the front supports.

Bill

Tony........................ I'm really enjoying this build so far. Bill's thread has been invaluable. Plus, Todd includes a picture cd, which gives more ideas for machining. You could always do what I did and order the plans ($40 plus s/h) to look over. Then if/when you order the kit there's a coupon for $40 off on the kit...........since you already have the plans.

Bill, thanks for the heads up on the relationship of the crankshaft hole and the hole for the large gear. I can see where that would be critical. For those following, take a look at Bill's build thread: http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,5467.450.html Post #455, the 7th picture.

I'm thinking that these rear supports are one of the more involved (busy) parts of the build. All of the dimensions interact with each other. Challenging ................. but I'm enjoying stretching my skills!

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2017, 05:28:42 AM »
For the gear hole offset, so the gears mesh properly, a simple depthing tool like clockmakers use is invaluable, especially if you are cutting your own gears. For factory made gears, you should be good with the distance they spec, though drilling a test set on some scrap bar and testing the gears could avoid a serious "oh, swarf!" moment with a small investment in time.

Enjoying the build, keep it coming!

:popcorn:

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2017, 03:49:33 AM »
For the gear hole offset, so the gears mesh properly, a simple depthing tool like clockmakers use is invaluable, especially if you are cutting your own gears. For factory made gears, you should be good with the distance they spec, though drilling a test set on some scrap bar and testing the gears could avoid a serious "oh, swarf!" moment with a small investment in time.

Enjoying the build, keep it coming!

:popcorn:

That's a great idea Chris!

Clickspring here I come: http://www.clickspringprojects.com/pinion-head-depthing-tool.html What a great way to figure out just how much difference a few thousands make ..........one way or the other. Spacing would be hard to adjust after the fact!

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2017, 01:29:10 PM »
Hi Jim,
Wonderful thread.  :ThumbsUp: You are documenting the build nicely.Your photos are very crisp and informative.

Bill mentioned the critical issue of determining the distance between gears for a smooth meshing together and Chris mentioned testing the distance on scrap material.

If you notice on my thread, I've not drilled the governor's hole yet. I'll be in exactly the same place - getting the distance right.

I wonder if an eccentric bushing would work. Even if you didn't get the hole in the exact right spot for a perfect mesh, you could rotate the offset busing a hair until you got it right. Hm....

Looking good Jim,
John

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2017, 03:39:23 PM »
Since the gears are supplied in the form of a length of gear stock for both sizes, I used the dimensions on the plans and it worked out well. There isn't much room in the area so I doubt an eccentric bushing could be worked in and I didn't find it necessary. Good idea though for other applications!

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2017, 12:39:26 AM »
Thanks John.

Bill, I have confidence in Todd's plans so, for sure, will be making my holes to the dimensions as called out. At least I hope I'll make them to those dimensions.  :shrug: As a learning experience, I'd still like to make some sort of depthing tool to see just how much latitude there is in the separation of the two gear holes.

I hope to get back to work on the bearing supports tomorrow. These are probably my most complicated parts, to date, with lots of dimensional relationships between holes and the mounting base.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2017, 05:15:55 AM »
Over the next few days I'll try and fill in the blanks on the data that was lost with the last meltdown. If I'd of been smart like Chris, and had a copy of my posts stored, it'd be easy to do...................Oh Well...................I'm just glad to see that we're on the road to recovery.

After the Side Rods were finished I decided to make the Bearing Supports, which attach to the end of them.

I needed a starting point and decided to use the column that connects the base to the top. I made a fixture to clamp to the column and then was able to mill the base flat.

While I was at it, I milled the sides of the base parallel to the column. Nothing is at the final dimension. I'm just trying to get some surfaces that are true to each other.

Once that was done I re-oriented the part and milled the sides parallel to the sides of the base (still not to final dimension).

That done I could use my height gauge to determine the centerline of the bearing and timing gear holes.

Having that figure, I then was able to figure out how much more needed to be milled off the base to bring the center line to the correct height.

Turning the piece on it's side, I once again used my height gauge to determine the centerline of the side rod hole.

Armed with that figure, I could then determine how much more needed to be milled off of each side of the bearing.

Once the bearing sides were milled to spec I could then mill the sides of the base to the correct width.

Next up was milling the base to the proper thickness.

That gets the Bearing Supports to the correct dimensions, so will continue in the next post.

Jim
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 03:10:42 PM by Flyboy Jim »
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2017, 02:46:16 PM »
Next up was locating the holes for the Timing Gear and Crankshaft. The hole for the timing gear was tapped later when my L.H. 6-32 tap arrived.

Relocated the parts, milled the ends to length, drilled and threaded the holes for the Side Rods.

Re-oriented each part in the vice, trued up, located, and drilled the mounting holes.

Made a mounting fixture so I could turn the spigot on the top of each piece and drill the oil hole.

Then it was off to the sandblaster to turn the Bearing Supports back into castings.

Jim
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 03:01:36 PM by Flyboy Jim »
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal