Author Topic: Flyboy Jim's Parsell & Weed Engine  (Read 50019 times)

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
Re: Flyboy Jim's Parsell & Weed Engine
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2016, 09:00:53 PM »
Thanks Bill & Chris.

Yes the fixture plate has turned out to be quite useful.

I've started looking at machining the Cylinder Supports and Bill, your posts #242 & #243 are going to be invaluable. I'd really be scratching my head without them.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2016, 01:15:03 AM »
As you know Jim, I killed one off, got the diameter too small, just a brain lapse. Other than that they aren't too bad.

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2016, 02:43:39 AM »
As you know Jim, I killed one off, got the diameter too small, just a brain lapse. Other than that they aren't too bad.

Bill

I remember when you had an issue with one of the Cylinder Collars. Didn't remember you having a problem with a Cylinder Support.

Got a good start on the first Cylinder Support today.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2016, 05:04:39 AM »
You are right Jim, it was one of the collars I messed up on, not the supports. My error.

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2016, 04:07:36 AM »
You are right Jim, it was one of the collars I messed up on, not the supports. My error.

Bill

I'll be doing a lot of study before I start on those collars. Lots going on there.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2016, 06:17:16 PM »
Looking good Jim!

That's a pretty big hunk of metal to strap in your Sherline, but it handled it well.  I've only worked with one very small casting set (the one in my avatar), so I don't have much experience there. But it looks like you're having a great time with it so far!

Kim

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2016, 11:50:27 PM »
Thanks Kim. Once I got the base anchored down on the fixture plate, my mill handled it with ease, as long as I took light cuts.

Next up were the cylinder supports. I did them pretty much the same way as Bill ( Bill's thread... posts #242 & 243) with a couple of exceptions.

When I started milling the base, I needed a way to make sure the center of the shaft would be at the proper height (0.672). After I got it milled flat the first time, I took it to the table saw table and using my height gauge and the #19 drill bit (just put a set of pin gauges on my "to buy" list) was able to determine the amount I needed to take off. Also, by checking at each end I could tell if the hole was tilted and then make adjustment to that when mounting it back in the 4 jaw. I went back and forth between the 4 jaw and the table saw several times as I was bringing it to the final dimensions.

I used my dial indicator mounted on the cross slide to align the Cylinder Support each time in the 4 jaw.

Then it was off to the mill to drill the mounting holes in the base. I didn't have a picture to show, but I used the #19 drill and my DTI to set the base up so the holes would be in line with the shaft. My soon to be pin gauge set would of been nice to have here.

One down and one to go.

Jim
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 03:14:03 AM by Flyboy Jim »
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2016, 12:06:38 AM »
Boy you are getting casting-itis for sure  :naughty:. Just for a turning exercise, you can always turn your own gage pins. Sometimes it's fun to see just how close you can get to a given dimension without worrying if it fits or not  8)

Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2016, 02:47:54 AM »
Looks good Jim, just make sure you have room for the hardware without bumping against that center post. Seems to be a bit more critical on the opposite end supports. Easy to check now rather than at assembly.

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2016, 04:59:44 AM »
Looks good Jim, just make sure you have room for the hardware without bumping against that center post. Seems to be a bit more critical on the opposite end supports. Easy to check now rather than at assembly.

Bill

Oh yes...........I know all about that!  :wallbang: Had to rechuck and turn the shoulder down, that I'd left, in order to get clearance. These are just temporary bolts............I will go with studs and nuts later.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2016, 04:37:43 PM »
OK as Paul Harvey used to say here's "The rest of the story".  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Harvey

I finished up the other support and got both mounted on the base with temporary bolts (I'll make studs and nuts later).

It took a fair amount of filing to get each support round enough to hold in the 3 jaw for turning. No big deal, but it did leave a finish that I didn't care for. These will get painted, but still would show through the paint I think.

Anyway, I've been wanting to try the following for some time now and this was a great opportunity. I've had a small sand blaster, for about 25 years, that I've used for various projects.

So I sand blasted one of the supports and compared it to the un-blasted one.

Here's before and after pictures with the supports mounted on the base. I was happy with the results.

I also sandblasted a piece of 6061 that had a milled surface. It made it look a lot like the aluminum castings of my PMR #2.

Flyboy Jim .............................................................. ............................................................................... "Good Day".  ;)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 03:24:36 AM by Flyboy Jim »
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2016, 04:53:46 PM »
That looks much better. Almost like a casting!

Wait, it was a casting....   :facepalm2:   Well, it is again!  It did give that casting look back. I take it that sandblaster takes a fairly large compressor to drive?

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2016, 02:57:26 PM »
Jim, you may consider one of these to put on the want list. I haven't tried one yet but like the idea. Less air volume, more pinpoint control I expect too, and probably less media consumption. If you have a way to buy from grainger (like your employer) you can get 50lb containers of glass bead media at a more attractive price.

https://www.amazon.com/Paasche-Airbrush-AEC-K-Abrasive-sprayer/dp/B001CJIHFI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483109563&sr=8-1&keywords=paasche+air+eraser

Harbor freight also has one for about $28 which is probably fine for infrequent use.

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2016, 05:14:08 PM »
Jim, you may consider one of these to put on the want list. I haven't tried one yet but like the idea. Less air volume, more pinpoint control I expect too, and probably less media consumption. If you have a way to buy from grainger (like your employer) you can get 50lb containers of glass bead media at a more attractive price.

https://www.amazon.com/Paasche-Airbrush-AEC-K-Abrasive-sprayer/dp/B001CJIHFI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483109563&sr=8-1&keywords=paasche+air+eraser

Harbor freight also has one for about $28 which is probably fine for infrequent use.

Bill
I have one of those, it does a very small area of spray so it takes forever to do even a square inch of blasting. Also quite finicky on air pressure, clogs a lot. I got better results when I found some finer sand than they provide with it. It was useful for taking painted logos off of plastic rail cars, but on metal it does very little.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2016, 05:23:04 PM »
That looks much better. Almost like a casting!

Wait, it was a casting....   :facepalm2:   Well, it is again!  It did give that casting look back. I take it that sandblaster takes a fairly large compressor to drive?

It really did make it look like a casting again. Also, the other takeaway from this is that bar stock parts could be made to look like a casting if desired.

I'm using it with my ancient 1 hp Craftsman compressor. I also have a small portable compressor similar to this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-2-Gal-Hotdog-Air-Compressor-0100211A/206470707 It would work fine also. For small work like this, any compressor that would build about 80 psi and had a small air tank would work.

Jim

Edit: Forgot to add that it does tend to be a little messy to use!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 05:28:45 PM by Flyboy Jim »
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal