Author Topic: Flyboy Jim's Parsell & Weed Engine  (Read 50808 times)

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
Re: Flyboy Jim's Parsell & Weed Engine
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2016, 03:35:07 AM »
Is OSG the brand or a type of die?

And what does the mixer do? Is it like a carburator?

OSG is kind of a middle of the road die made in Japan and some in the USA I think.

The mixer does just what the name implies...........mixes air and fuel. Just like is done on the carburetor in most model airplane engines. The amount of fuel let in is determined by the needle valve position (the needle valve is shown in the last picture in Bill's post #35........ http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,5467.30.html ). Fuel comes in one side and and mixes with the air coming in the end. And the rest is, as they say,................"combustion". The only part I don't quite understand yet is that, I think, this process goes on whether the engine is firing or not. So it seems to me that this fuel mixture would be just going into the combustion chamber and out the exhaust until the exhaust valve is allow to close, when the governor lets it, and the engine fires. Good for speed regulation, but not so much for fuel economy!

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2016, 12:27:13 AM »
Ok Jo (Chief Casting Fondler) ........................I received my casting kit and have the castings staged on the dining room table.......................so now what do I do? Lots to learn!  :)

Jim
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 04:30:07 AM by Flyboy Jim »
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2016, 10:49:03 PM »
Looks like you are all set Jim.  I think the fondling is to help figure out how you are supposed to hold the suckers for machining  :shrug:

Cletus

Offline littlelocos

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2016, 10:54:52 PM »
Hello Jim,
On the idle strokes of a hit and miss engine, the intake valve remains closed and air flows in and out of the exhaust port.  Ideally, no fuel is wasted.  On some engines, the spark ignition is also switched off to conserve the battery.

Lookin' good on the mixer body!
Todd.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2016, 01:28:59 AM »
Looks like you are all set Jim.  I think the fondling is to help figure out how you are supposed to hold the suckers for machining  :shrug:

Cletus

Oh...............I was hoping it might be something more "ethereal" than that! Something kind of Zen like.  :shrug: Although I guess that just figuring out how to hold them and not machine oneself into a corner is pretty "ethereal"!

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2016, 11:30:38 PM »

Cletus

Oh...............I was hoping it might be something more "ethereal" than that! Something kind of Zen like.  :shrug: Although I guess that just figuring out how to hold them and not machine oneself into a corner is pretty "ethereal"!

Jim
I think I read that book, Zen And The Art Of Steam Engine Maintenance...?

I didn't see the cylinder in the casting pile - is that from bar stock?

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2016, 01:34:22 AM »
Hello Jim,
On the idle strokes of a hit and miss engine, the intake valve remains closed and air flows in and out of the exhaust port.  Ideally, no fuel is wasted.  On some engines, the spark ignition is also switched off to conserve the battery.

Lookin' good on the mixer body!
Todd.

Thanks Todd.

After reading your post I went to the back of the plans and re-read the governor page and it all fell into place.

Got my casting kit today. The casting look really nice. I've haven't machined bronze yet, so looking forward to having a go at it.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2016, 01:55:32 AM »

Cletus

Jim
I think I read that book, Zen And The Art Of Steam Engine Maintenance...?

I didn't see the cylinder in the casting pile - is that from bar stock?

That's correct Chris. It's made from a length of 4130 steel tubing. It's the top piece in the picture. The two castings are the collars that support the water jacket (brass) and cylinder sleeve. Bill's P & W build shows some of that on pages 7 & 9. http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,5467.90.html Looking ahead to machining the cylinder sleeve, I think I see an Arthur Warner groover in my future. And here I've been thinking that I'd bought all the tools that I was ever going to need!  :lolb:

Jim
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 04:32:02 AM by Flyboy Jim »
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2016, 12:20:47 AM »
Looking good on the mixer Jim!!  That barbed fitting as well  :ThumbsUp:

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2016, 01:09:32 AM »
Thanks Bill.

I have a question for the "brain trust": What kind of lubricant, if any, should I use for milling bronze castings?

Thanks, Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2016, 01:18:14 AM »
Right or wrong Jim, I didn't use anything, make sure your tools are sharp though!!

Bill

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2016, 01:21:08 AM »
I've noticed how differently the different bronze alloys machine, what alloy(s) do they usually use for engine castings? Or does it vary a lot with the foundry?

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2016, 02:12:19 AM »
Hey Jim

This is worth exactly what you paid for it.  :lolb:
Brass and bronze I usually mill and turn dry except at work where I can use flood coolant in my mill.  For threading and tapping I prefer to use Moly-Dee (a Castrol product) especially on the threading dies.
I have been threading some 5/16-27 or 1/16 NPT threads on brass tube for the Pacfic cooling water plumbing, using my Geometric die head in the lathe; the Moly-Dee really helps.

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2016, 04:27:34 AM »
Jim, when I said I didn't use anything I meant for machining. When tapping, I always use a heavy threading oil. Dave's post reminded me of that.

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2016, 02:58:38 AM »
Thanks guys. Just the info I was looking for.

I started milling the base casting today with my fly cutter and did it dry. Was working great, but thought I'd better check. I'll definitely use tapping fluid for tapping.

Chris I'm not sure what the bronze alloy is. Maybe Todd will check in and let us know.

Dave wasn't Moly-Dee" a country singer?  :lolb:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal