Author Topic: Flyboy Jim's Parsell & Weed Engine  (Read 50888 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Flyboy Jim's Parsell & Weed Engine
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2016, 10:32:04 PM »
Now I am really feeling the pressure Jim. I think you will enjoy the project and you are right, it's just a matter of stringing more parts or more procedures together. I am really looking forward to the build and am sure you can do a better job of documenting it than I have done.

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2016, 12:43:23 AM »
Now I am really feeling the pressure Jim. I think you will enjoy the project and you are right, it's just a matter of stringing more parts or more procedures together. I am really looking forward to the build and am sure you can do a better job of documenting it than I have done.

Bill

Thanks Bill.

Actually you've done a great job with documenting and I've learned a lot from it. I'll try and fill in any blanks as I go.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline kvom

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2016, 01:15:38 AM »
Look what happened to Cletus when he tries going from nice steam engine models to IC.  May the force be with you.   :o

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2016, 01:26:43 AM »
And its not us demanding pictures, its the shop elves. Yeah, thats it!

Well, as we wait patiently (some of us more patient than others........those pesky shop elves) for the casting kit to show up, I got started on the muffler since I had the material for that. Also, that's what Bill started with, so decided..........that works for me. Besides I got to use my compound slide, which I had only used one time making my scriber right after I got my lathe.

I'll throw in some extra detail, since Bill didn't show cutting the angles in his post.

I forgot to get a picture of the starting point for cutting the angles, so will refer to Bill's Post #17 first picture: http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,5467.15.html
I set my compound to 45 degrees (on the Sherline lathe it mounts on the backside of the cross slide and uses the cutter upside down). The first thing I discovered was that I didn't have a cutter that would cut the angle without running into something.  :wallbang: I figured out what was in the way, took it to the grinder and ground that off. So I guess I've already learned something new with this build. I went from "not knowing squat" about grinding tool bits to being 1 step above "not knowing squat.  :) Touched up the cutter on my oilstone and it worked great!

Parted off.

Centered my RT, mounted the work in a collet, and indicated to make sure it was still centered.

Offset the RT the correct amount and drilled the clamping holes.

Roughed out the inside to the proper size.

Then back to the lathe to cut the angle on the inside. The first tool I ground didn't work. I needed one just the opposite, which I had, so I ground that one for clearance. Here's a couple of pictures of the inside. Me and my magnifying glass are really starting to get to know each other!

After cutting the spigot (not sure what else to call it) it was back to the RT to mill the flats for bolt clearance.

One part done............73 to go! Heck there's nothing to building this engine!  :lolb:  :lolb:

This picture kinda looks like a candy dish for the shop elves..................gonna have to keep it hid from them!

Now for the other muffler half.

Jim
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 03:17:33 AM by Flyboy Jim »
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2016, 01:46:54 AM »
Nice start!

:popcorn: (munch munch munch)  :popcorn:

That little collet set sure looks like it is going to get a workout on these parts. Some tricky grinding on the cutters, but it came out nice!

And the shop elves would like their candy dish to have a lid, so the other half will come in handy...!

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2016, 12:01:34 AM »
Aaannnnddd we're off and running...... :whoohoo: :popcorn: :ThumbsUp:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2016, 12:20:41 AM »
I'm enjoying it already Jim.  Nicely done on the muffler half.

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2016, 03:18:36 AM »

And the shop elves would like their candy dish to have a lid, so the other half will come in handy...!

There that ought to make the little bas  :censored: .......................cute little guys happy! Although I suppose they want it filled with candy too!  :LickLips:

Thanks Pete and Bill.

Until the drill bits get here I need, I'm going to be jumping around a bit getting started.

Jim
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 03:44:56 AM by Flyboy Jim »
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2016, 03:26:22 AM »
Wow Jim, three pages and I just found out about your new project. That's what happens when life gets in the way.
I will be following along with the other guys to see what you are up to; so please post away.

Dave

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2016, 03:16:37 AM »
Got in a little more time this afternoon and got the muffler finished up.

Still need to cut the bolts off and maybe shorten the exhaust pipe which is 12" long right now!

Got the governor weight made as well. Here's a family shot................a real small family at this point!  :Lol:

Jim
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 03:48:42 AM by Flyboy Jim »
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2016, 01:46:37 AM »
Jim, yeah 12" might be a tad long, but the muffler looks great!! :whoohoo:

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2016, 02:09:13 AM »
Great start!   :popcorn:

That muffler cover would be a great place for some engraving or relief carving... Imagine yourself a Victorian era machinist... Another layer on the cover, holes cut through as fretwork.

While you're waiting for the castings.  Just sayin, as the phrase goes!

Offline littlelocos

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2016, 12:47:56 AM »
Beautiful work, Jim!  Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.
Happy to be a part of the support crew on the build.   
Enjoy!
Todd.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2016, 03:01:42 AM »
Thanks all.

Todd.... my kit gets here tomorrow, as does my Speedy Metals order.  :whoohoo:

Next up was the Mixer Body.

Pretty much done like Bill's. Here's a couple of pictures that were a little different showing the drilling and tapping 1-72 for the needle valve.

Finished part.

Then on to the Jet.

Turned to the proper diameter for the 5-40 threads. Got to try out my new OSG die. Big difference from the "Brand C" die I had before!

The rest was pretty much just like Bill did it. Boy is his build thread coming in handy! I'd still be scratching my head.  :noidea:

It's funny. I hadn't used my compound at all on any of my other 4 engines and I've used it for 4 operations on this build already.  :)

Finished parts.

Jim
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 03:54:44 AM by Flyboy Jim »
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2016, 03:12:21 AM »
Is OSG the brand or a type of die?

And what does the mixer do? Is it like a carburator?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal