Author Topic: Flyboy Jim's Parsell & Weed Engine  (Read 50890 times)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Flyboy Jim's Parsell & Weed Engine
« Reply #120 on: February 04, 2017, 03:22:43 AM »
Parts are looking great, but a side question on your mill: just noticed in your pictures, looks like a brass cover of some sort over the leadscrew between the table and the column? What is that? Same on front?

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #121 on: February 04, 2017, 03:37:12 AM »
Parts are looking great, but a side question on your mill: just noticed in your pictures, looks like a brass cover of some sort over the leadscrew between the table and the column? What is that? Same on front?

It's just that, Chris. It's a brass tube that covers the lead screw. It's attached to the table and as you move the table toward the column it goes through the base of the column and out the back. My mill came that way, so it must be something fairly new. There's nothing in front. I wish there was..........it can get pretty "swarfy" in that area.

As a result the bolts for the column base are offset (think diagonal ) to allow clearance for the brass tube to pass through.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #122 on: February 04, 2017, 01:04:20 PM »
That sounds like a nice improvement Jim. That back area can get pretty swarfy too!

Bill

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #123 on: February 04, 2017, 01:22:40 PM »
Nice work Jim. The round over cutter is doing a great job. Have y'all read any feedback on Sherlines CNC mill?

Cletus

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #124 on: February 04, 2017, 01:42:14 PM »
Catching up on your thread Jim. Very nice work.
I was particularly interested in the base work. I learned a lot there.

And here I've been thinking that I'd bought all the tools that I was ever going to need!  :lolb:

It surprised me that no one jumped on you for that statement.
It's sort of like saying "There's nothing more to learn."  :lolb:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #125 on: February 04, 2017, 03:37:05 PM »
Thanks Guys.

Bill & Chris: Here's a link to a guy that made a front way cover: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTKFvMCEsD4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTKFvMCEsD4</a> Seems a little cumbersome, but not sure what else you could do.

Zee: I've added some new tools during this project. Two that are particularly useful are an inside micrometer and a plug gage set. I'm amazed how often I've been using the gage pins. They go from .061 to .250 in .001 increments. I'll probably get the .251 to .500 set in the near future. Did I mention that I like tools?

Eric: There's lots of YouTube videos out there about Sherline mill CNC. Here's a guy's that I enjoy watching: https://www.youtube.com/user/KenToonz/videos He's building the same clock the Clickspring built, only using CNC on Sherline machines. Or I should say was. He recently upgraded to larger CNC equipment. It's gonna be a really expensive clock!  :lolb:
CNC wold be fun, but I'm thinking that just setting up and learning how to do it would be a whole hobby in itself.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #126 on: February 14, 2017, 07:58:48 PM »
Next up, I made some of the parts that mount on the Front Pushrod Guide. These were the Governor Rocker, the Governor Shaft and the Governor Arm.

First up, the Governor Rocker.

After milling some 360 brass to size, I drilled and reamed the holes for the Governor Shaft and the two Governor Pins (one of which will hold the Governor Roller).

Milling the slot. This picture doesn't show it very well, but this slot was milled at a 22 degree angle.

New toy!  :whoohoo:

Continuing on.

Made the Governor Shaft and slotted.

Milled the stock for the Governor Arm to size and cut the required slot.

Drilled, reamed and threaded the required holes.

Stood on end, located and drilled the centering hole in the end in preparation for turning the shaft for the Governor Weight.

Mounted in the 4 jaw and used my pump center to locate the center of the shaft. Turned the shaft to 0.125.

To be Continued.

Jim
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 03:45:41 AM by Flyboy Jim »
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

« Reply #127 on: February 14, 2017, 08:35:34 PM »
Boy if you don't have all the bells and whistles ringing and blowing  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:. Welcome to the .500" mic club, you'll get hooked on it like, um, um, noise canceling headphones  :lolb:. Let me see now, has Bill officially finished his yet? Just saying  :lolb:

Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #128 on: February 14, 2017, 08:50:52 PM »
Yeah yeah, rub it in Cletus. Just had to many other fish to fry lately, but sure enjoying Jim's take on things too. Nice work Jim!! And yes I need to get my rear in gear and get this one finished up....too many other projects in the wings now.

Bill

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #129 on: February 14, 2017, 09:44:36 PM »
Nice progress Jim! That pump shaft out the end of the square bar is a tricky one.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #130 on: February 14, 2017, 10:02:02 PM »
Boy if you don't have all the bells and whistles ringing and blowing  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:. Welcome to the .500" mic club, you'll get hooked on it like, um, um, noise canceling headphones  :lolb:. Let me see now, has Bill officially finished his yet? Just saying  :lolb:

Cletus

Eric, so do we ".500 mic" club members have a secret handshake or national get together or anything? I've already figured out that one of the membership requirements is to make sure it shows up in pictures on a regular basis.  :Lol:

Bill, my progress is going to be slowing down as the weather gets nicer and the "competing activities" start happening. It sure has been a pleasant way to get through the winter!  :)

Chris, the turning of that shaft went quite well with light cuts. It was quite the interrupted cut though!

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

« Reply #131 on: February 14, 2017, 10:56:15 PM »
Well besides the pictures, I haven't give that much thought Jim, however, a get together of owners would be super, how about Cabo San Lucas  :lolb: or y'all are always welcome at the Close Enuf Machine Shop, Springbucket Division. Sorry Professor, as Flip Wilson used to say: " the devil made me do it honey " :naughty:. Now don't be using the weather as an excuse, you just have to reallocate your time and with the days getting longer, there's still enough nap time to get all the other stuff done. Ask me how I know ( Lou told me so  :lolb:) . Tell everybody hey.

Cletus

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #132 on: February 14, 2017, 11:02:45 PM »
That is some great progress Jim.  Pin sets are on my "get list".  I spent years in QC and know how useful they are.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #133 on: February 14, 2017, 11:44:25 PM »
Nice update Jim and great progress!
I passed up a mint Starrett 1/2" mic a number of years ago at a second hand tool store here in town. I thought that $50.00 was a bit steep but there have been a number of times that I wish that I had picked it up. Especially now that I might be able to join the club. :lolb: Actually I do have an older one with the ball anvil, anybody else have one of these?

Keep up the great work Jim.

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #134 on: February 15, 2017, 01:31:43 AM »
Come on Dave, let some of those moths out of your man purse. I happen to know MSC will ship to Idaho  :lolb: Stan is the original charter member so the secret handshake has to come from him.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal