Author Topic: Flyboy Jim's Parsell & Weed Engine  (Read 50005 times)

Offline Dreeves

Re: Flyboy Jim's Parsell & Weed Engine
« Reply #105 on: January 24, 2017, 04:01:39 AM »
Looking good Jim. Keep it coming

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2017, 11:52:01 AM »
Another tedious task done Jim. Those look great too. Well done!!  Nice little inside mic there too :)

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2017, 05:08:30 PM »
Outstanding work Jim and still following you bud.

Don

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2017, 03:38:52 AM »
Thanks Dave, Bill and Don.

Bill, I really like that inside mic. It just needs a Starret outside 1/2" "mini-mic" to go with it!  :naughty:

Continuing on, I centered the RT on the mill, mounted the 3 jaw chuck and mounted one of the collars in the chuck. Then offset the table the correct amount, rotated the RT to locate the first mounting hole and spot drilled.

Got both the mounting holes drilled.

While there, I milled the end to spec.

That done to both collars, I re-centered the RT.  Then turned the collar over that needs the holes for the head bolts and remounted it in the chuck. Then offsetting the RT the proper amount, I mounted a pin gauge in a collet and rotated the RT until the pin gauge would drop into the mounting hole. That done, and while the pin gauge was in the hole,  I loosened the chuck jaws and rotated the RT to get me to a nice even convenient setting............like zero..........and retightened. That way when I need to rotate the RT 60 degrees for each hole, I don't have to deal with some obscure starting figure like 19.6 degrees!  :wallbang:

Then after offsetting the RT the additional required amount it was just a matter of spot drilling at each position, drilling at each position  and tapping...........well you get the idea!

That's it for now.

Jim
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 12:28:29 AM by Flyboy Jim »
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2017, 04:06:33 AM »
Coming along great, some excellent work with the rotary table.

I am not familiar with this engine, what are these collars for? Is it a water cooling jacket around the main cylinder?

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2017, 04:49:22 AM »
Coming along great, some excellent work with the rotary table.

I am not familiar with this engine, what are these collars for? Is it a water cooling jacket around the main cylinder?

Thanks Chris. I love my rotary table!

You have it exactly right. Check out Bill's build thread: http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,5467.345.html
post #356...........the 3rd and 6th picture. You can see the collars in position holding the Water Jacket (brass) with the Cylinder Liner (steel) going through the middle. It also shows the 6 bolt holes where the head will attach. What I haven't quite figured out yet is just what keeps the water inside of the water jacket and not leaking outside.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline AOG

« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2017, 05:14:39 AM »
What I haven't quite figured out yet is just what keeps the water inside of the water jacket and not leaking outside.

I know the answer to this one. It's Proseal, mixed so hot that the cup is about to light on fire. Whenever you want to keep water out (or in this case in) the answer is always Proseal.  :stir:

Tony

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2017, 05:20:39 AM »
What I haven't quite figured out yet is just what keeps the water inside of the water jacket and not leaking outside.

I know the answer to this one. It's Proseal, mixed so hot that the cup is about to light on fire. Whenever you want to keep water out (or in this case in) the answer is always Proseal.  :stir:

Tony

Oh no............not Proseal..............I've already had enough experience with Proseal on my airplane project!  :wallbang: Although I have to admit...........it would certainly do the job!

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #113 on: January 27, 2017, 12:20:28 AM »
Next was the milling of the flats for the Pushrod Guides.

I used my height gauge to determine how much to mill off the casting.

That done I re-clamped each casting in the mill vice and spot drilled, drilled and threaded. Then flipped it over and did the same on the other side.

Next up was the water jacket. The brass tubing was clamped in the 4 jaw, indicated true and cut to the called for length.

I then mounted the chuck on my collet block and located and threaded the hole for the piping.

Turned the block over and did the same for the other end.

Trial fitting.  :whoohoo: I'm going to wait until I get the Pushrod Guides made and fitted before I mill the outside of the collars.

Next up are the Front and Back Pushrod Guides.

Jim
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 12:38:47 AM by Flyboy Jim »
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #114 on: January 27, 2017, 12:41:51 AM »
Looks great Jim. I think I used some silicon sealer or kitchen and bath caulking to seal the water jacket. With the piping in, and the cooling tower filled, I didn't detect any leaks. Will probably have to redo it on final assembly as things will have to be taken apart for painting, etc.

Bill

Offline littlelocos

« Reply #115 on: January 27, 2017, 02:32:48 AM »
Jim,
It's been a few weeks since I stopped by.  WOW!  Great progress and beautiful work on your engine.

WRT sealant, I used Red silicon from the auto parts store on mine. 

Enjoy!
Todd.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #116 on: January 27, 2017, 02:58:12 AM »
Thanks Bill and Todd for the kudos and sealant info.

Todd, I hope you had a profitable and good time at Cabin Fever.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #117 on: February 01, 2017, 02:56:26 PM »
Got started on the Rear Pushrod Guide.

After milling some bronze stock to size, I milled the opening for mounting to the Rear Collar.

Remounted and drilled and reamed the hole for the Push Rod.

Remounted and drilled the mounting holes.

Milled off extra material in preparation for rounding off.

Made a fixture for rounding off. The back hole came in handy for a strap with a pin to steer the collar around. Took shallow cuts and it worked great.

Back in the vice to round off the corners.

Next up is the more complicated Front Pushrod Guide.

Jim
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 05:21:20 AM by Flyboy Jim »
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #118 on: February 01, 2017, 03:35:47 PM »
That corner rounding milling cutter did a nice job on that Jim. Why didn't I think of that  :noidea:

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #119 on: February 04, 2017, 03:10:20 AM »
Moving on to the Front Pushrod Guide.

I'm just going to post some pictures of the process since it was fairly similar to the Rear Guide, with a couple of additional steps. If you get tired of looking at my pictures, you can go over to Bill's P & W thread and see virtually the same ones, since I pretty much followed his lead.

With the guides fitted, I mounted the Collars on the RT and milled the sides to true them up. Then they were off to the sand blaster.

Finally got to bolt everything together.

Boy...............for two little pieces milled out of bronze bar stock, I was amazed how much time they took. Lots of operations.

Jim
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 03:26:34 AM by Flyboy Jim »
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal