Author Topic: Flyboy Jim's Parsell & Weed Engine  (Read 50017 times)

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
Flyboy Jim's Parsell & Weed Engine
« on: December 15, 2016, 06:46:20 PM »
OK here's my story (about how this undertaking came about)..........and I'm sticking to it!  :naughty:

I've been interested in this engine ever since I started looking at Bill's P & W build thread last spring. Actually, I became enamored with Hit & Miss engines early on in my machining journey. That was really brought home when I attended the Brooks, Oregon "Steam-up", this last summer, and saw some of the full size ones running!

Anyway, about 3 weeks ago, I ordered a set of plans for Little Loco's "Parsell & Weed" engine for $40 (plus shipping and handling), just to have a look at them. Well............ that resulted in 2 things: 1). I was totally blown away at just how nice and detailed the plans are and 2). I was totally overwhelmed with just how involved the project seemed!  :headscratch: So anyway, (and this is the reason it took so long to get that last little bit done on my PMR #2) I sat down with Bill's build thread and went page by page through the plans, noting on them as to where on Bill's thread the building of a particular part was documented. Then I went through the plans and figured out just what additional tooling I would need. Then I went through the plans and figured out just what additional material I would need. By the time I was done with all that, it didn't seem near as intimidating!

There are about 74 parts for the engine, not counting the fasteners, the coolant/fuel tank, and the crank handle. Of those, probably only about 1/3 or less are all that much different than a lot of the parts I've already made. The critical ones (other than mucking up a casting) are made out of relatively inexpensive material and can be made over and over.................and over until they're right!  :wallbang:

Here's the factors that really cemented my decision to have a go at this:

1). The "Bill Factor". Having his build thread to look at is the main reason I decided to tackle a build like this this early in my "machining journey".

2). Todd at Little Loco's has already been really responsive at answering the few questions I've had.

3). I don't want to sound like some kind of "Snooty Sherline Owner"  :Lol: but they DO enable a person, like myself, to make accurate fiddly parts without having a lot of machining experience.

4). I continue to be amazed at all the help and encouragement that MEM has to offer for newbies and I'm confident that won't be any different with this project.

It's a big undertaking and there'll be lots of little side trips I'll need to take to learn things I know little about........... like soldering, tempering, lapping, and tool grinding. Part of the fun!

OK.............. enough of the philosophical stuff..............at least for now. I'll get to the meat of the project in the next post. I'm not going to be as detailed, in documenting my build as I've been with my other builds, since Bill has done such a great job on his thread. I mainly want to have a platform from which to receive input and also document anything that might add to Bill's thread.

So........ as Neil Armstrong said when he took that first step on to the surface of the moon on July 20, 1969: "That's one small step for "experienced machinist", one giant leap for Flyboy Jim" ...........or something like that!  :thinking:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Flyboy Jim's Parsell & Weed Engine
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 04:50:05 PM »
Excellent! A new project to follow...

Lets see, bag of popcorn, check.
Cookies, check.
Bag of funny comments, check.

I'm ready!  Bring on the pictures!

:popcorn:   :cheers:

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 07:09:27 PM »
 :pics:

Some of use are still waiting to see the castings  :embarassed:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 07:16:13 PM »

Jo

Thanks Chris. Stay warm back there. 4" of snow on the ground here...........nothing like you get there!

Jo...........me too!! The casting kit is supposed to arrive on Monday. Pictures to follow.  ;)

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 07:20:56 PM »
Good move Jim and time to tax your limits........ :ThumbsUp:
Besides Bill is right there to help... :stickpoke: right Bill.

Don

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 05:53:02 PM »
Sounds wonderful Jim!  I'm excited to see you get started on your new Christmas engine!

I like your way of thinking too. There's noting in a big project like this but lots of little projects  ;D  And if you can focus on each little project and feel that magic of accomplishment with each one, then you'll eventually get through the whole thing!  Especially when you've got such a great team of experts to help you out with the sticky bits.

So Chris, are you sharing the popcorn too? Or just the funny comments?  :Lol:
Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 06:13:23 PM »

Jo

Thanks Chris. Stay warm back there. 4" of snow on the ground here...........nothing like you get there!

Jo...........me too!! The casting kit is supposed to arrive on Monday. Pictures to follow.  ;)

Jim

Its CCOOOLLDDD here this week, our friends up in Canada have sent us a box of arctic air for a couple days. Not too much snow, it all depends where you are around here, with lakes Erie and Ontario, the wind direction steers the bands of heavy snow off the water. Buffalo has gotten really socked in.

So, good days to hunker down in a warm shop and play!

Looking forward to seeing the castings. How many days of casting fondling till they are ready to machine? Don't want to skip that step!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 06:14:19 PM »
Sounds wonderful Jim!  I'm excited to see you get started on your new Christmas engine!

I like your way of thinking too. There's noting in a big project like this but lots of little projects  ;D  And if you can focus on each little project and feel that magic of accomplishment with each one, then you'll eventually get through the whole thing!  Especially when you've got such a great team of experts to help you out with the sticky bits.

So Chris, are you sharing the popcorn too? Or just the funny comments?  :Lol:
Kim
Plenty to go around, sharing both the snacks and the comments!   :cheers:

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 06:37:27 PM »
Well I'll cook the BBQ and buy the beer for this adventure. Great flight planning Captain  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:. Seriously,  I see that Chris is a carver and he just cuts away everything that doesn't look like the part,  you and I "fly by the numbers " and make the part as close to the print as we can;  either way our destinations are the same.  Can't wait to see you put the Sherline through it's paces  :cheers:.

Cletus

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 08:49:22 PM »

Looking forward to seeing the castings. How many days of casting fondling till they are ready to machine? Don't want to skip that step!

Chris, I'm not sure about the time table for "casting fondling". I need to wait for input about that from our "Chief Casting Fondler".

Eric, I like your analogy!

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 07:15:00 PM »
All right! This promises to be a great build. It sounds like we have a full house, the bleachers are filled and the popcorn is hot. Bring on the show!! :popcorn: :cheers: :cartwheel:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 07:28:28 PM »
I need to wait for input about that from our "Chief Casting Fondler".

:thinking: I need to see the castings first 

Xmas morning I am hoping to have at least an hour's worth of fonding of something Father Xmas is promising to give me  :naughty:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 10:01:44 PM »
OK here's some background info:
http://www.littlelocos.com/littlelocos_web-easy_page_september_2016_007.htm (Little Loco's P & W webpage)
http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,5467.0.html (Bill's most excellent build thread) <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsQZxBShfjc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsQZxBShfjc</a> (YouTube video of horizontal engine running) <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO2IBZJjuZQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO2IBZJjuZQ</a> YouTube video of vertical engine running)

My casting kit should be here first of the week. Got my PM Research order yesterday with some taps, dies, and tubing for cooling system. My MSC order with a bunch more tooling should be here soon. As these projects get more involved, so does the tooling (like no one else knows this already  :lolb:).

I also see where I'll be making some more fixtures and clamping devices.

Oh yeah............there'll some more Sherline accessories in my future as well!   $$$$$

Anyway time to go make some swarf!  :whoohoo:

Jim

Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2016, 08:33:22 PM »
OK, since you've gone about this adventure in such an organized manner, I think it's only appropriate that you show us some pictures of the treasure you have acquired ahead of time by planning sooooo well!!!

So come on, set the stage!

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2016, 08:41:21 PM »
And its not us demanding pictures, its the shop elves. Yeah, thats it!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal