Author Topic: Super simple tool height setting gauge  (Read 1731 times)

Offline Joco

Super simple tool height setting gauge
« on: December 08, 2016, 06:28:18 PM »
I saw this style of hight setting gauge recently when collecting some purchases. The kind gentleman who had the gauge used it to set his tool height off the top of the cross-slide of his lovely Super 7.

So I thought I would try my hand at the same concept. I will do one from my saddle as well (106mm) but this one is 160mm for measurement from the ways. It's not as clean a bit of turning as I would like, the steel being not that flash as it started life as a galvanised carriage bolt which I turned down for the purpose. It is however pretty accurate being measure correct to the centre height to +/- 0.02mm.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Graham G

• NZ
Re: Super simple tool height setting gauge
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 11:29:09 PM »
Hi there James, I have been using a similar concept for a while now using a piece of 7/16 key steel measured off the cross slide and is much more accurate than the old eyeometer  :insane:.
It looks like we have the same lathe, AL-320G, if so, it is a reasonable machine.
I have recently had to replace the output shaft and key as it became loose and was starting to leave chatter marks on my finishing work.
cheers
Graham

Offline Joco

Re: Super simple tool height setting gauge
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 07:28:11 AM »
Hi there James, I have been using a similar concept for a while now using a piece of 7/16 key steel measured off the cross slide and is much more accurate than the old eyeometer  :insane:.
It looks like we have the same lathe, AL-320G, if so, it is a reasonable machine.
I have recently had to replace the output shaft and key as it became loose and was starting to leave chatter marks on my finishing work.
cheers
Graham

Graham - yes i have an AL-320G from MachineryHouse.   Having a heap of fun just learning the basics at the moment.
James
Wellington - NZ

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal