Author Topic: Another Aussie new member  (Read 5169 times)

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
Another Aussie new member
« on: December 07, 2016, 11:14:15 AM »
Hello everyone,
I am a mechanical engineer, now retired after 40 years in the oil industry, on compressors, pressure vessels and piping, but the theoretical side from specification through to commissioning, rather than the practical side.  Now I can finally get my hands on the tools and try and build some of those fascinating little engines.
I am only a beginner on machining, but have built a single acting oscillator, double acting oscillator, a double acting slide valve mill engine and a diagonal slide valve engine with Joy valve gear as a trial of concept for a paddle steamer.  Also two small Meths fired boilers to run them.
I have chosen to go metric as far as possible in an attempt to minimise the number of drills, taps, dies etc to purchase so all my engines are basically my own design without castings, but based on the many designs already out there but mostly in imperial/ US dimensions.
I have already read many of the build logs, and am in awe of what so many of you are doing.  I look foreward to continuing to follow those in progress and to read those complete.  I know I will learn heaps and hope that in turn I will be able to make a small contribution where I can.
Next I see I have to learn to upload photos, but I may have to make them blurry so their deficiencies are not to obvious beside the amazing work so prominent on this site.
MJM
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Another Aussie new member
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 12:05:42 PM »
 :hi: MJM,

Sounds like you have been busy. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

If you want metric drawings :NotWorthy: Julius provided us with a really nice set of Elmer's engines in metric recently: http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,6616.0.html

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline ///

• Perf, Straya
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 12:53:39 PM »
Welcome from a fellow Aussie!
Simon

"The reality is that without cheap imported machines, I would be spending my time doing something less creative and less enjoyable" - Captain Jerry

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 01:07:00 PM »
welcome MJM, we need more Ausies, many more. I am looking forward to seeing some of your builds.
Robert
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 02:00:31 PM »
Hi and welcome to the group.

Vince

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 02:44:54 PM »
Welcome to the forum MJM. It is a great bucnh of folks here, always willing to help out or answer questions so jump right in.

Bill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 03:37:01 PM »
Hi MJM,
Welcome to the forum!
Kim

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 11:08:08 PM »
Welcome to the forum MJM, from another Melbourne-based member. There is a bunch of very knowledgeable, friendly and helpful people in here.

There are threads on using MS OneDrive and Google for picture hosting.
DT
Don't die wondering!

Offline Brendon M

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 12:24:20 AM »
Hello MJM from another Aussie on this forum :)

I look forward to seeing what you can do.

Regarding your comment about theoretical vs practical -- for a while I was studying to be a mechanical engineer and was disappointed to discover that we would not be taught how to use a lathe or milling machine etc.

I eventually jumped ship and got a job as a computer programmer. Only now am I finally learning how to do metalworking, and put my mechanical engineering skills to use. It's great fun, and I have become hooked! :)
(This signature intentionally left blank)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 12:48:11 AM »
MJM, welcome aboard.  Back in the day I was one of the ones at the end result of your types labor.  I set pumps and welded the pipe that attached to them.  Don't be bashful,  join in anytime.

Cletus

Offline Graham G

• NZ
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 02:23:51 AM »
Hi ya MJM,   :hi: and hi from the home of the All Blacks.
There are lots of very knowledgeable enthusiasts on this forum and as I have found out, there is no such thing as a Dumb question which means help is a plenty.
Graham
 :pics:

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 03:09:44 AM »
Hi MJM and welcome to the forum!

:hi:
Don

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 04:53:24 AM »
Welcome MJM......

1. you will certainly find a large family of very knowledgeable :old: [and younger] engine builders here

I do agree with your philosophy ‘in principal’ of going metric, however it is a mixed bag and certain compromises will be needed

From your background, you will not have an issue with metricating  :atcomputer: seven evenly spaced 6BA tapping's on a 1 3/4" PCD  ...

Yes you will then find the centre distance for marking out is 19.947mm  :lolb:

Now 6BA is 2.8mm diameter x 0.53P…..so a good alternative is standard ISO M3 x 0.5P

These are just some of the simple tasks you will need to consider..........

Derek

« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 06:52:37 AM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2016, 10:44:17 AM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2016, 12:43:13 PM »
Wow!  Thankyou everyone for the overwhelming welcome.  I had read some of the welcome threads before but it is only when it is addressed to oneself that it's full impact is appreciated.  Please keep up welcoming new members, it is amazing.  Thank you everyone.

I have noticed the requirement for pictures, I will get reading those threads on how.  There will either be pictures or questions.

The advantage of working up my own dimensions is that I can keep within my available tooling and skills, while lifting the bar as I see some of the amazing builds here.  I tend towards miniature engines than scale engines, it saves dealing with some awkward dimensions for now anyway.

It is very clear that so many of you bring amazing skills from your previous careers, I look forward to learning, and I hope sometimes even helping.

Thank you again everyone.
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal