About MEM > Introduce Yourself

Another Aussie new member

(1/6) > >>

MJM460:
Hello everyone,
I am a mechanical engineer, now retired after 40 years in the oil industry, on compressors, pressure vessels and piping, but the theoretical side from specification through to commissioning, rather than the practical side.  Now I can finally get my hands on the tools and try and build some of those fascinating little engines.
I am only a beginner on machining, but have built a single acting oscillator, double acting oscillator, a double acting slide valve mill engine and a diagonal slide valve engine with Joy valve gear as a trial of concept for a paddle steamer.  Also two small Meths fired boilers to run them.
I have chosen to go metric as far as possible in an attempt to minimise the number of drills, taps, dies etc to purchase so all my engines are basically my own design without castings, but based on the many designs already out there but mostly in imperial/ US dimensions.
I have already read many of the build logs, and am in awe of what so many of you are doing.  I look foreward to continuing to follow those in progress and to read those complete.  I know I will learn heaps and hope that in turn I will be able to make a small contribution where I can.
Next I see I have to learn to upload photos, but I may have to make them blurry so their deficiencies are not to obvious beside the amazing work so prominent on this site.
MJM

Jo:
 :hi: MJM,

Sounds like you have been busy. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

If you want metric drawings :NotWorthy: Julius provided us with a really nice set of Elmer's engines in metric recently: http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,6616.0.html

Jo

///:
Welcome from a fellow Aussie!

Robert Hornby:
welcome MJM, we need more Ausies, many more. I am looking forward to seeing some of your builds.
Robert

vcutajar:
Hi and welcome to the group.

Vince

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version