Author Topic: Parksy's v4 engine  (Read 6229 times)

Offline Parksy

Parksy's v4 engine
« on: December 02, 2016, 04:13:44 AM »
G'day all

I have completed this engine and I wanted to share the photos I took along the way. It is my own design. I consider it to be relatively basic to machine but it is an excellent runner and after having it run for about half an hour, starts very easily now.
It has a 26mm bore with 18mm stroke, single crankshaft machined from 4140, two camshafts machined from solid drill rod, stainless steel valves, bronze valve cages, ball bearings for both crank and camshafts and a carby from a four stroke RC aircraft.
The bottom end is splash lubed and top end air cooled. I was concerned about the engine getting hot, but now that is has run in, after letting it sit idle for 5 minutes, I can still pick the engine up via the block. Doesn't seem to produce much heat.
I also sand blasted the heads and block with glass beads. The finish is consistent.
All this was done using a mini mill and mini lathe. These machines really lack rigidity, but I think I've done alright.

Offline Parksy

Re: Parksy's v4 engine
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 04:16:52 AM »

Offline Parksy

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 04:19:20 AM »

Offline Parksy

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 04:23:07 AM »

Offline Parksy

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 04:27:31 AM »

Offline Parksy

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 04:40:18 AM »
When attempting to start it, I couldn't get it to consistently fire using spark ignition. I believe that this may have been due to the battery i was using. I tried using a glow plug instead and the engine fired straight away.

This is the very first run where it's running on all four cylinders. Once it started I ran for the camera...
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlcLH9MJAjo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlcLH9MJAjo</a>

Once I had it running consistently my wife helped me film this video
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s75C8vj90s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s75C8vj90s</a>
It was done with a different camera and the sound is different, almost muffled. It isn't a true representation of the sound.

This is the last video I took. Since taking this video, it runs and starts better and has good throttle response. This is a better representation of the sound.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAd-PQh1ZmY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAd-PQh1ZmY</a>

Thanks for viewing and if there are any questions I'm happy to answer them.

Andrew

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 05:09:05 AM »
Freekin' awesome sound, Andrew!!!   :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Congratulations on a fine engine.   :praise2:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline yogi

• Duncannon, PA USA
    • Yogi's Workshop
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 08:51:21 AM »
Fantastic engine Andrew! Well done!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Offline Parksy

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 09:00:05 AM »
Thanks guys. I just made another video. Despite it being 34 degrees Celsius here it still runs cool. It runs consistently now. Very pleased with the result. I need to install some shaft seals as the bearings don't hold the oil in well, but this isn't a big problem.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUQmDddL_Fs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUQmDddL_Fs</a>

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 09:19:45 AM »
Very nicely done, sounds great  :praise2:  :praise2: Are the last videos with glowplugs or spark ignition?
Best regards

Roger

Offline Parksy

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 07:44:28 AM »
It is running on glow plugs. It's hassle free and just runs so nicely.

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 11:07:48 AM »
Well done, congratulations ! Successful runner...
How do you put in place the connecting rods with their split bronze bushes in such a limited access, I wonder ?

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 09:13:00 AM »
 8)  Well done, nice engine.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Parksy

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 09:19:03 AM »
Thanks guys.
Zephyrin, the conrods fit down the bore, so the first half will rest on that as I gently drop the other half onto the crankshaft along with the big end cap. A lot of swearing also helps.

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2016, 11:32:43 AM »
A very nice project. Congratulations.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2016, 02:13:57 PM »
Beautiful engine and a fine runner too Andrew. Well done!! :ThumbsUp:

Bill

Offline Adiabatic

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2016, 02:14:39 PM »
Lovely job and sounds glorious. It has that same sort of off beat idling sound that a race prepared Honda RC 30 has.

Halved,that design would also make a nice in line twin or a V twin....OZ.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2016, 04:55:46 PM »
Very nice!

Beautiful workmanship, it runs and sounds great; congrats!

Dave

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2016, 11:33:13 PM »
Congratulations on a great runner.  I sounds awesome.

Vince

Offline Parksy

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2016, 10:17:30 PM »
Lovely job and sounds glorious. It has that same sort of off beat idling sound that a race prepared Honda RC 30 has.

Halved,that design would also make a nice in line twin or a V twin....OZ.

Thanks all for the kind words.

Adiabatic, I have had it running on two cylinders in both configurations that you mentioned, and the difference in the sound between the two is amazing. In a v twin configuration, it doesn't have an even firing pattern and has a nice lumpy sound, where as in the inline twin configuration, the timing is even and the firing is consistent and lacks excitement I guess.
The v4 has an uneven firing pattern so I suppose this along with the cam profile is attributed to how it sounds and behaves.

Offline Brendon M

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2016, 07:22:42 AM »
Simple design and brilliant sound, well done sir! :)
(This signature intentionally left blank)

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2016, 09:31:22 AM »
Yes, it sounds impressive, and the movements of the rockers look great too on the last video !
 it seems that you have designed a rather high valve lift, clearly visible on the camshaft.

you engine runs with glow plugs, but the battery looks constantly connected, with a kind of electronic circuit, some detail maybe ?

Offline Parksy

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2016, 10:56:21 AM »
Yes, it sounds impressive, and the movements of the rockers look great too on the last video !
 it seems that you have designed a rather high valve lift, clearly visible on the camshaft.

you engine runs with glow plugs, but the battery looks constantly connected, with a kind of electronic circuit, some detail maybe ?

There isn't anything tricky going on with the electronics. I have two buck converters running two glow plugs each in series, set at a very low voltage. Just set high enough to cause ignition but if I disconnect the power supply, the engine dies. In the very first video I posted, I've started the engine using 1.5v glow plug drivers and the engine will continuously run off these when disconnected but eventually stall after about a minute.
Using the buck converters at a low voltage, I don't have problems with the plugs cooling down and I can let the engine idle for extended periods.

Offline ///

• Perf, Straya
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2016, 05:51:23 PM »
Nice work, she sounds awesome.
Apologies if I missed it, but what fuel are you using?
It's a catalytic reaction with methanol and platinum that keeps glow engines running, electricity just provides the initial heat to get it going.
Simon

"The reality is that without cheap imported machines, I would be spending my time doing something less creative and less enjoyable" - Captain Jerry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2016, 11:36:09 PM »
A great sounding, beautifully made engine. It is a credit to you.  Well done :praise2:..........Terry

Offline Parksy

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2016, 10:16:22 PM »
Nice work, she sounds awesome.
Apologies if I missed it, but what fuel are you using?
It's a catalytic reaction with methanol and platinum that keeps glow engines running, electricity just provides the initial heat to get it going.

Thanks Simon and Terry. Appreciate the kind words.
This engine is running off nitro fuel. It isn't a hot burning engine and even with full voltage supplied to the glow plugs, they eventually cool down after a minute and stall. I've run it for extended periods now with no problems to the glow plugs. They are barely producing a glow with the voltage I supply them. This setup seems to work well.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 10:20:14 PM by Parksy »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal