Author Topic: ETW Oil Pump  (Read 3542 times)

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
ETW Oil Pump
« on: December 01, 2016, 01:45:10 PM »
In Westbury's book 'Model Petrol Engines' is the description of a valveless reciprocating oil pump described as suitable for engines up to 30cc. Has anyone made one or an engine that uses one?

The drive is from a worm on the engine shaft coupled to a pinion on the pump shaft that reciprocates with the plunger. As the pinion moves axially it obviously cannot be a 'proper' worm wheel. I have found a commercial 0.5 MOD pinion that is long enough to allow for the plunger movement. My lathe clains to have a screw cutting setting for 0.5 MOD. I think that I should be able to cut a worm that will work with this pinion but am unsure on a couple of points (I could just try it and see what happens but I always like to ask first  :headscratch: )
1) What sort of thread profile should I use?
2) The thread on the worm will have a pitch angle. Should I angle the pump pinion and pump shaft to match?
3) As it will be very lightly loaded do 1) and 2) really matter.

I think that Jo's Kiwi or Kitti used a screw thread based worm drive for an oscillating oil pump but I can't currently find the details.
Best regards

Roger

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: ETW Oil Pump
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 02:22:24 PM »
I built the pump that goes into the Wallaby which is 29cc if I recall but it's a gear pump.

Do you have a picture?

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 02:30:11 PM »
This is the pump
Best regards

Roger

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 12:49:23 PM »
If you turn the page you will see the pump fitted to Kitty.

Just checking my Westbury designs

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 01:00:52 PM »
That type of pump is fitted to the Atom 5  :naughty:.

The MAP drawings don't give details of the oil pump :ShakeHead: but clearly it is one of those. It says 26 TPI worm... Westbury was not very original on his gears and worms: he had one or two that were a common size back in those days and he used them for everything...

Edit: On the Dolphin drawings he mentions that the worm should have an Acme form thread. Really it just needs to be adequate to go round.

Jo
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 01:10:23 PM by Jo »

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 03:16:47 PM »
Baffled ...  :headscratch: 

Can't really see how it works. I suppose the lever sticking out is the clue, but ...

Vincents had a rotary / reciprocating pump somewhat like that but there was a track-cam  / pin arrangement to give the reciprocation?

Dave

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 01:40:14 PM »
There is a cam above the gear, the other cam is attached to the lever, sticking out the side.

So the pump plunger rotates and reciprocates at the same time, at the end there is that little finger that acts as a rotary valve to control the suction and discharge ports.

Jo

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 08:10:51 PM »
I get it....that's a brain teaser........YIKES!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 07:26:47 PM »
Ah yes!   Cheers Jo ...  :LittleAngel:

Cryptic bit of drawing. I can see now where the hashing changes direction on  #3... ( hatching ?? ).

Not keen on making it   :censored:  obvious, was he ???

Dave

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 09:33:06 AM »
Thank you Jo  :)  A 20 tooth 0.5MOD gear will be 11mm diameter and the drawing shows a 20 tooth gear 3/8" (9.5mm) diameter so that will be close enough for my metrification. The plunger will be 5mm diameter which matches the bore on the commercially available gear. If I make the ports 2mm diameter and the finger thing on the end 3.5mm it seems to match the original geometry.
Without deep complications (trying to grind my own tool  ::) ) I can either cut the worm with a 60° threading tool or a 55° DCMT tip. As it will be at least 15mm diameter (12mm shaft) the pitch angle will be fairly shallow. I think some test pieces are required  :headscratch:
Best regards

Roger

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 08:08:18 PM »
I had a go at cutting a worm on a piece of 18mm diameter brass rod. The tool was a standard 55° DCMT tip and cut to a depth of 0.75mm. The quick trial with the pinion seemed ok  :) Seems to be heading in the right direction  :ThumbsUp:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gl8to9JKzc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gl8to9JKzc</a>
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal