Author Topic: Mitre Joints  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Joco

Mitre Joints
« on: December 03, 2016, 10:06:37 AM »
I had a good number of mitre joints to cut on my bandsaw for some framing I was making.  So a little time at the table saw with some careful cutting checking and I have a nice little mitre joint insert for the band saw.

This isn't a new idea, but here is my simple implementation. 2 layers of 18mm plywood glued together with some high density plastic (from a cheap chopping board) the correct width for the slot in the bandsaw top screwed onto the plywood. This stops the wedge from sliding out.

James
Wellington - NZ

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Mitre Joints
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 03:12:35 PM »
Nice solution James. I am sure it made cutting all those mitre joints much easier too!!

Bill

Offline Joco

Re: Mitre Joints
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 09:23:55 PM »
I'm still cutting them.   I have noticed a little bit of flex when the clamp is tightened. Its about 1mm which is sod all and easy to correct for since i measure everything 3+ times before cutting, but the potential for that little error is enough to annoy me.

I think its the screw and/plastic flexing.  So, I'll turn a circle of steel to diameter and use an M8 bolt to hold it in.   Nothings going to flex then.  :naughty:
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

Mitre Joints jig - improved
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 07:40:50 AM »
I had a look at the method for holding the jig in place and decided it needed to be a bit more robust.   So a bit of steel round, some lathe work and an M8 bolt and things seem to be much more rigid.    8)

James
Wellington - NZ

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal