Author Topic: Atom Minor Mk 3 engine  (Read 2719 times)

Offline Orloff

Atom Minor Mk 3 engine
« on: November 29, 2016, 05:31:08 PM »
I have ordered the plans to make  the Edgar T Westbury Atom Minor Mk3 spark ignition petrol engine with a view to make it. Rather than go down the "casting purchase" route, I intend to machine it totally from solid, that way I will have the scope to perhaps modify it if I think it right. Don't expect any pictures very soon as I am not going to rush it.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Atom Minor Mk 3 engine
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 08:11:13 PM »
I assume you have got a copy of the book and for reference the  engine in front is is Westbury's original engine  :naughty:

I know a man with a box of castings for these,  I wonder where mine are  :noidea:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 08:26:58 PM »
Hiding among the other hundred or so perhaps Jo ?   ::) They must b e among your collection somewhere!!

Bill

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 11:39:49 AM »
Anyone who wants a copy of the book - the publisher is the cheapest place at a vast £4.95 +P&P http://www.teepublishing.co.uk/books/for-the-aeromodeller-engine-builder/the-atom-minor-mark-iii/

I found the castings and said hello :naughty: Mine is the cheap skate casting set version without contact breaker bracket or the cylinder head casting which are easier to make from bar stock.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 03:08:12 PM »
Looks like it will be an interesting one to carve from solid and give many hours of enjoyment as you do so.

Will you keep to the same size or take the oppertunity to scale it up a bit?

Offline Orloff

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 04:59:58 PM »
I may scale it up just a little bit, up to the original Mk3 design. Yes Jo I have got the book, it was the book that inspired me. I do realize that the transfer port will be interesting to machine, but I have a tool and cutter grinder so it will be overcome.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal