Author Topic: Heavier flywheels for the Kerzel hit and miss engine  (Read 19645 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Heavier flywheels for the Kerzel hit and miss engine
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2016, 01:58:13 AM »
Tonight I had the Kerzel running quite elegantly with the larger carburetor on it, and the Kerzel lever removed. I was afraid that the carburetor might be too large for a 3/4" diameter single cylinder engine. As the barrel of the carburetor gets larger, the air flowing thru it slows down, and consequently doesn't create as much of a low pressure area (Venturi effect) in the area where the spray bar for the gasoline pokes into the air stream. Since the low pressure area becomes less, it won't lift gasoline from the tank nearly as well, and the engine starves for fuel. It is very cold outside, and I don't want to gas myself, so I didn't have the engine running for very long. It does seem to be working all right with the larger carb, and is responsive to the opening/closing of the throttle. I will do more testing as time allows, out in my main garage. Once I am convinced that the engine is okay with this larger carb, I will try out the hit and miss function again.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2016, 01:59:00 AM »
An interesting factoid--I just went back and had a look at the original Kerzel carburetor plans. Kerzel calls for a 3/16" thru hole in the carburetor with a 1/4" counterbore from both ends. For whatever reason, at the time I was unable to make this carburetor, but was able to make a carb from an old set of Upshur plans that I found on an internet site. The Upshur carburetor must have had a 1/8" thru hole because that is what I have measured on the carb I just replaced on the engine. I have always thought that my engine didn't hit as strongly as other Kerzel engines I have seen videos of on the net. It seems that the bore of my Jag carburetor is much closer to what Kerzel originally intended

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2016, 09:53:42 PM »
Awright!!--We're done here!! Not exactly what I was hoping for, but close enough for me. It does hit, it does miss, and it starts easy.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swoSgioWTO8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swoSgioWTO8</a>

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2016, 09:55:55 PM »
Very nice!

Just in time to sit back and enjoy the holiday!

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2016, 10:57:52 AM »
Jolly good  :praise2: and as ever lots of useful information for other modellers  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal