Author Topic: Scaled down Popcorn  (Read 61211 times)

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
Scaled down Popcorn
« on: September 08, 2012, 10:24:06 PM »
It's been quite a while since I've built an engine.  I'm in the mood for a static live steam display, but had a heck of a time deciding which engine to build for it.  The material I have available to make a boiler is a bit limited at the moment, and some unforseen expenditures means my hobby budget is down to nil; I have to work with what I have in stock.
An Elmer would be an obvious choice, but as the last engine I built was an Elmer, I felt in the mood for something else.  Running through my plans, I glanced a couple of times over the "Potty Popcorn" plans that Stew (sbwhart) kindly emailed to me, but it was a bit big.  Seeing as I'll only be able to build a smallish boiler; the boiler would never cope with running it.

While looking at a printed version of the engine overview, it hit me! - The print-out is only about 2/3 actual size, and about the size I need.  Going through the plans, I think I can build it with what I have available in terms of material and taps & dies, it'll be small enough to run on the boiler I can make, and would make a good-looking display at the end of the day - I think.

Before I get  :hammerbash: - I know I said live steam, but I'll post the engine build here, and once it's complete, I'll divert to the "Live Steam" board for the boiler build and the rest of the stuff.  After all, I do need to have an air running engine first  ;)

Enough nattering - here goes my version of Stew's "Potty Popcorn" in 2/3ds scale.  As always, suggestions, critique and questions are most welcome  :)

The cylinder block started out as a piece of 25mm square aluminium 23mm long:

That was marked out on one of the sawed faces to have an 8x8mm offset from two sides, clocked up in the 4-jaw, faced of, and drilled and reamed through for an 8mm cylinder bore.  This was now the reference face for the rest of the cylinder machining - and will be the connecting rod end of the cylinder.  The finished cylinder is not symmetrical, so this choice needed to be made early during the machining process.  It's best to face the connecting rod end and make the bore in one step, as that will mean the cylinder head with the packing nut will fit nice and true to the bore:

After that I flipped the workpiece in the chuck and faced it to length.  No need to true it up concentric to the bore here; close enough is good enough.
Off to the mill, and I milled down the excesses to the correct dimensions for the valve face and the cylinder foot.  The cylinder foot is on the upper right hand side and the valve face on the lower right-hand side in the photo:

Back to the mill again, and I located all the edges and then set the DRO to 0 on the center of the exhaust port - then drilled holes from readings to start milling the port slots from; a 2mm hole for the exhaust port, and 1.5mm holes for the steam ports.  The holes later on allowed easy milling of the ports by providing a space to plunge the cutter in:

Then I milled the ports to size, and also drilled the 1.6mm holes (to be tapped M2) for the steam chest bolts.  from the plans, the ports should go down quite deeply in order for the steam passages to meet up with them at 90o angles - I didn't fancy milling slots that deep as it's slow going with these small mills, so the steam ports were only milled 3mm deep and the exhaust port in the middle 4mm deep:

The workpiece was rotated 90o on the X axis to present the base, and the exhaust port hole drilled through, as well as two 2.5mm holes to tap M3 for mounting the cylinder.  The one offset to form one side of the mounting base was also milled out:

On to the steam passages.  As mentioned earlier, If made to Stew's plans, these are easy to drill at 90o angles and no special setup needed.  I needed to get the right correct angle, and in my usual lazy fashion I laid out the angles on the side of the workpiece, eyeballed the scribed lines to the side of the vise jaws, used a small mill (2mm in this case) to flatten the edge at the cylinder bore corner, center drilled it, and drilled the 2mm passage using a "wiggler wire" (in this case the back end of a small drill) to feel when I broke through into the port on the valve face.  The second photo shows the scribed lines I used to line up to more clearly; the first photo was on the "dark side" of the vise:

You can click on the last photo to see the "bigger picture"  ;)

Some rounding over followed - 8mm drill bit through the cylinder bore and incremental turns - some filing required afterwards, but much quicker than setting up on the rotary table or dividing head to do, and as this is cosmetic, no great need for super accuracy:

After a couple of minutes with files & emery, things looked up, and I was ready to start tapping holes:

:thinking:  I wonder who has spotted the obvious problem here...  It only hit me at that point that I'd forgotten something VERY important  :facepalm:....  :wallbang:...  I'm an Idiot3 ...
A cylinder all nicely finished up, and no holes to mount the cylinder heads...  Those should have been done before any rounding over  :facepalm:.
OK,  :smokin2: break, and a bit of  :noidea: .  The rounded over bits would make work holding difficult, and it would take quite a bit of time to set up and clock in each side of the cylinder to drill the holes - the DRO's bolt pattern function is easy to use, but in this case setting up will be time consuming (and labour intensive - did I mention I'm lazy?).

Plan hatched, and a bit of 12mm aluminium turned down to fit the cylinder bore, then drilled deeply and threaded using the taper tap from my M6 set to allow about 4 full threads at the start, and roughly split using Mr. Junior Hacksaw:

:-[ Mr. Outta Focus dropped in unannounced while taking the photo.

A short section of all-thread 6mm rod was hacked off the length I have, and some slots crudely sawed in the top to make a screw from.  A 6mm grub (set) screw would have been better, but I don't have any, and a bolt or cap screw's head would be in the way.  Back to the mill, and rotary table center zeroed in on the DRO, then the collet chuck with the arbor mounted, and the cylinder block on that - clocked in using a DTI before tightening the make-shift screw finally to lock th cylinder in place:

:ShakeHead: - That Outta Focus guy just didn't want to leave.

Clocking the cylinder like this may sound like a long and tedious process, but it's not.  I set the RT to 0o, and also adjusted the mill Y axis to give me a 0 on the DRO.  The cylinder was mounted with the valve face just eyeballed to approximately square to the Y axis, then I moved the X axis to engage the DTI to get a half-scale deflection reading on it ("40" on my DTI). Then cranked on Y to just before the DTI would slip off the edge, and rotated the cylinder on the arbor to get the same half-scale reading on the DTI and tightened up the arbor locking screw.  A final check with a full traverse across the valve face, and the DTI stayed pretty much on the same reading. Q.E.D.; it took me much longer to type this up than to do it  :ThumbsUp:

After poking the missing holes, I decided to call things a day.  The result of another six hours of my miss-spent youth:

I'll tap all the holes in the next shop session.

Regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: Scaled down Popcorn
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 10:31:21 PM »
Nice Arnold! Glad to see you're working another project. This will be interesting.
Nice save on the cover holes.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park. RSA
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 10:57:11 PM »
Arnold,

Goodness that was quick  :)

Nicely done and shown  :ThumbsUp:
 :cheers:
DaveH

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 11:50:09 PM »
That was a quick cylinder job Arnold. Thanks for showing how it was done. I will be following along on you built.

Don

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 12:43:29 AM »
Well played Arnold. A good save on the absent holes. This will be a very interesting build of our friend Stew's design, and at a smaller scale. What a treat.

BC1
Jim

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 01:33:47 AM »
Cool Arnold, I'm following along. If youth isn't for misspending then what's the good of it  :ROFL:

Steve

Offline rleete

• Rochester, NY USA
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 02:19:30 AM »
If youth isn't for misspending then what's the good of it 

Amen to that.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 02:25:09 AM »
Cool Arnold, I'm following along. If youth isn't for misspending then what's the good of it  :ROFL:

Steve

Agreed....I just wish it wasn't so short!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 07:34:01 AM »
Great looking cylinder Arnold  :ThumbsUp:

For some reason or other my popcorn is the worse running engine I've built, tried allsorts of thing to improve it,  :hammerbash: yet I know others have built to this design and had good runners, so will be interesting to see how a scaled down works.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 09:25:51 AM »
You've got my attention Arnold - I've gone no further with the popcorn I started, just the cylinder and flywheel - real life keeps getting in the way.   :(
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 09:24:06 PM »
Many thank Gents  :NotWorthy: .

The cylinder was quick to make - it seems to get easier each time I do it; that is if I don't make booboos like I did with the cover holes  :Lol: .  There was a little benefit to that mistake in machining steps though - that should become clearer from today's update  ;)

Stew, I'll see how it goes scaled down.  I left a bit of leeway for fiddling with things.  One thing I forgot to mention in yesterday's post was that I milled the valve face down by an extra 1mm - to leave space to make up a separate valve plate.  Besides the fact that I don't want the slide valve running on bare aluminium, it'll also allow me to easily play around with the valve and port dimensions if needed.  This is the first time I'm trying my hand at scaling down things, so anything can happen; even if it does not work out, there will be lessons learned  :ThumbsUp:

I didn't have as much shop today as I would have liked - just like with Tel, some life interfered.  All the holes were tapped in the cylinder; nothing dramatic there and I didn't bother with photos.  Just my usual way of a cap full of methylated spirits to use as cutting fluid for aluminium, and run through all the holes with each of the three taps in the M2 set in succession, swishing the tap in the meths after each hole to clean of chips and collect the liquid for the next hole.  I have my own firmly established tapping regime, but there is something I'm curious about; I'll post a question about that in the Questions section a bit later, as it may be beneficial to more people than just me.

On to a bit of lathe work, and some phosphor bronze turned down to 18mm, and stepped to match up later on with the cross-head, with a boss left for the packing nut, drilled through 2.5mm and then 3.3mm to 5mm deep and threaded M4 for the pack nut:

With the chuck unscrewed from the lathe, it was moved to the mill and screwed to the rotary table.  After  yesterday's recovery for the cylinder head bolt holes on the cylinder, nothing had moved on the mill, so I could just plunge right in and first spot, then drill all the holes at 90o intervals:

The rear parting toolpost was not mounted on the lathe cross-slide (I removed it when I was trying different set-ups for marking out W's leadscrew handwheel) - and I took the opportunity to get a really nice cutting edge back on the parting blade - it's much easier to stone it when it's not mounted and for months on end now I'd just honed it up lightly in situ.  The back end of the cylinder head needs a thin boss to locate it concentrically in the cylinder bore.  This is always problematic to achieve - my way of doing it is to plunge-part down into the stock.  My vernier calipers are too thick to measure in the slot, so I use old-fashioned outside spring calipers to check the size - in this case I just pre-set the outside calipers on the shank of an 8mm drill bit before-hand.  Just like using vernier calipers, these take a bit of practice to get a "feel" for, but I think I'm slowly getting it  :) :

Once the groove was down to leave the necessary 8mm boss, I just followed it with another parting cut 0.5mm further along and all the way through. 
That left me with this from the front:

And on the rear parted side:

The "brighter" ring on the inside is where I'd paused a couple of times to measure the boss thickness and then had to plunge back in carefully to take bits off each time to hit size.  I've thus far had LOTS of problems getting a good finish in parting cuts, and this one is still not as good as I'd really like.  However...  This is the best finish on a parting cut I've managed to achieve ever in bronze or any other metal for that matter, so please do excuse some elation   :whoohoo: :whoohoo: .  Taking the time to really hone up that parting tool cutting edge paid off! 

The outboard cylinder head followed in quick succession:

As did the packing nut from some 6mm hex brass.  No real work there; chuck up the hex bar in the 3-jaw chuck, face the end and turn a 5mm long section down to 4mm.  Thread M4 with the tailstock die-holder, center drill, and peck-drill through (2.5mm in this case).  The peck drilling keeps the drill bit nice and true.  Very slowly retract the drill from the final depth - it smooths the bore out nicely in this way.

The outboard cylinder head received a bit of clean-up work, and an introduction to Mr Buff, and then I took some assembly shots:

I'm wondering...  In most of the photos I've seen of popcorn engines, they use slotted head screws like I've done here.  I prefer nuts 'n studs - but which way would be best to go to capture the true popcorn spirit ?

Regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 09:37:29 PM »
I'm wondering...  In most of the photos I've seen of popcorn engines, they use slotted head screws like I've done here.  I prefer nuts 'n studs - but which way would be best to go to capture the true popcorn spirit ?

Regards, Arnold

Thats something I noticed also Arnold, I wondered if popcorn men were lacking in tools, but most people would have acess to a screwdriver even if it was a nickle or pen knife  :hammerbash:

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 10:00:27 PM »
Nice work Arnold!
And as usual, I garnered some learnings from your thread.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 11:15:10 PM »
Woooo! You are moving right  along here, your going to make short work of this one Arnold. I will be here till you finish. Great work as usual.

Don
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 12:26:48 AM by Don1966 »

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 12:07:12 AM »
Nice progress Arnold. So Mr OutOfFocus has left and Mr Buff is in?  :D

Steve

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal