Author Topic: More tiny work  (Read 19554 times)

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
Re: More tiny work
« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2016, 06:39:32 PM »
Incredible and inspiring.

Off to the shop to see what I can accomplish today :-)

Gerrit

Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #106 on: December 29, 2016, 08:53:35 PM »
Hi Paul,
The Case traction engine was built many years ago for the annual Sherline contest held at the NAMES show. I'm guessing but I would say somewhere around 1994. At the time I don't believe I even had a digital camera or they were even available so there were no work-in-progress shots of the engine. Each year Sherline published the size guidelines for their contest and I took my drawings for the 1 inch scale Case traction engine and scaled them down to meet the requirements. The scale multiplication factor for the 1 inch drawings is .285 which would make the scale around 1/42 full size. As with the baler I made my own gear cutters to maintain the proper tooth count in scale for the engine driveline and water pump. It has the Woolf valve mechanism like the full sized engine. The steering works through a tiny worm drive connection and chains. The brass on the engine had started to dull with age and I wanted to clean it up for the Sherline display at NAMES this year so I used a liquid brass and copper cleaner on it. It did a good job but actually too good of a job as it exaggerated the solder joints.
Thanks for asking,
gbritnell
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 04:15:16 AM by gbritnell »
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #107 on: December 29, 2016, 10:38:11 PM »
Thanks George...I recall it from way back then, just was hoping to see some build shots!

I have an old Model Engineer magazine with an article on a 3'8" scale working traction engine, there is a fair amount of compromise in scale though.

I just love the small stuff and both the tractor and the baler are just wonderful.

Paul

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal