Author Topic: Stew Hart's Simpson and Shipton Short Stroke  (Read 12731 times)

Offline bruedney

• Wellington, New Zealand
Re: Stew Hart's Simpson and Shipton Short Stroke
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2016, 09:05:41 AM »
Looking good Stan

:popcorn:

Cheers

Bruce
‘Results! Why man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won’t work.’ — Thomas Alva Edison

Offline mikemill

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2016, 11:51:37 AM »
Stan

As you said CNC is just another tool, but what a tool now you have it start to explore its possibilities. CNC allows you to take a different approach to making parts, especially using the forth axis, I can promise you will have so much fun.

Mike

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2016, 06:03:59 PM »
Stan, I suspect you'll use CNC a lot more than you think.  Turns out it's a lot of fun.  I love the HiTorque mini mill and have always wished I had one.  But my older Enco mill/drill CNC conversion has met my needs, so couldn't justify the expense and effort of converting over.

This is a cool engine project.  I'll be interested in following along.

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2016, 06:17:45 PM »
OOOOOOOUUU!

Didn't see that coming!   Like the mill!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2016, 07:31:58 PM »
I'm with Dave...didn't see that coming either, but sure looks like a nice setup Stan. And Stew's engine is a beauty too. I will be along for the ride, with both the engine and the new CNC as well!!

Bill

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2016, 07:33:56 PM »
Looks to be another good project to follow along  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:

"Then, step-by-step through the Make: instructions until, two days later, I had a running machine that actually obeyed g-code. As with anything computer, they do what you tell them to do. Not what you want them to do."

So so true  ::)  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2016, 08:32:22 PM »
Looks to be another good project to follow along  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:

"Then, step-by-step through the Make: instructions until, two days later, I had a running machine that actually obeyed g-code. As with anything computer, they do what you tell them to do. Not what you want them to do."

So so true  ::)  :wine1:

Sometimes the problem is that you don't tell them what to do and the default is the culprit!
So many projects, so little time...

Offline kvom

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2016, 11:01:29 PM »
Actually they do what you tell them, not what you mean.   :facepalm2:

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2016, 09:28:02 AM »
Hi  I thought some of you guys following Stan's thread would like to see the video of my engine running.

Enjoy

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxpAIlInObk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxpAIlInObk</a>

Cheers

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline paul gough

• Tropical Queensland, Australia
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2016, 10:19:35 AM »
Thought these might be of interest. Regards Paul Gough.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2016, 07:44:18 PM »
How are things in the CNC world Stan? Any updates on the S&Sss?

Bill

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2017, 02:22:34 PM »
The Alliterative Engine
Simpson and Shipton Short Stroke

Episode 1b or Where’s Waldo Stan

Sometime in the recent past, I started the Simpson and Shipton Short Stroke.
Stew Hart was exceptionally helpful and it looked as if it would move right along.
Then....
When I started the whole CNC thing, people said “Any Windows computer is fine.” As a Mac guy since 1984, I've paid little attention to Windows boxes.
Actually, my first computers were a TRS-80 and then a Kaypro II running CP/M. Then there was grad school and PDP-11s to run the graphics workstations.
I went to Microcenter and bought a low to midrange HP desktop. (Daddy always said, “Never buy the bottom of the line”) which worked well enough. Inventor CAD and CAM were fine (not super speedy, but worked,) Hires renders gave me time to break for lunch.
Mach 4 ran without a glitch. Good so far.
On Friday, I went down to the shop (“Velcome back to the shop”) to model a part in Inventor and the computer wouldn’t turn on. Tried all of the magic tricks that HP suggested. Nada.
Drove the box over to Microcenter. The repair guy said, “Motherboard. $350 parts and labor.”
No way I’m dropping that into a cheepo Chinese HP box.
I had pretty much convinced myself to go to the Apple store, give them my AMEX and get a new iMac. When you boot it into Windows, it’s pretty much better than an actual Windows box. (PC Magazine said that the best Windows laptop was a MacBook Pro running WIN 7 or 10)
When I was looking at tech support on HP website, I caught a link to a CAD workstation but kept on going. HP
CAD Workstations are hot. Very fast and certified by Solidworks, Inventor, Autocad, Yada Yada, but, as I remembered, crazy expensive.
Not so much anymore.
Ended up ordering the HP Z2 Mini, CAD/Cam Graphics workstation.
After setting it up with Inventor, Mach4, Repetier Host and Server (3D printing), etc and all was running well, the internal drive was cloned to a 1TB Samsung SSD.
Speed is astounding. Windows boots in under 10 seconds. Inventor loads in about 20 seconds (down from nearly a minute on the old computer.)

Then, I spent a day building an enclosure for the CNC.

With that done, I thought I'd get rolling on the Simpson and Shipton as soon as I made a quick part for my brother. A few ˝" holes, 1" deep in 6061.
Although I rarely use it, this seemed like a good time to use the Bridgeport’s auto downfeed.
Set the depth stop. Pick the feed rate. Engage the lever. Drilling commences and releases a clutch when it hits the depth stop. Right.
Lever wouldn't move. Entire mechanism was locked up. After getting out the Complete Bridgeport Repair and Rebuilding manual and disassembling the parts, I realized that one of the trip lever's ears had snapped off.

Yet another project? My first thought was to order a new lever from H&W. went to their website. $85.00!
Why should I spend $85 when I have thousands of $ in machines.
Initially, I thought the part was steel but on closer inspection it was cast bronze. Don't find much of that on import mills.
Suddenly this got a lot easier.
New end in brass, quality time with Oliver, cut off broken ear section. Silver solder, file and paint.

3 hours yesterday morning and all is well.

And, for another time, the design and installation of the small electric trolley hoist to lift the Kurt, dividing head and rotary table on and off the Bridgeport.

Add in,  removing the leaves and tuning up the snowblower, Good timing.

various and sundry home activities (like replacing chowdered mounting screws in my friend’s dishwasher

bread production

and Fred’s twice-yearly Gun Day. (Note: there are 4 MEM members here)

It's a wonder I get any engines built.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 02:30:16 PM by sshire »
Best,
Stan

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2017, 02:24:26 PM »
The Alliterative Engine
Simpson and Shipton Short Stroke

Episode 2

It seemed like a good plan to start with the two mounting plates since these hold all of the parts.

The drawing and CAM were done in Inventor and the Cylinder Mounting Plate was completed on the CNC Mini-Mill

Next the 8”x8” Base Plate (Bearing mounting plate). Many, many holes. Some are clearance holes and other are tapped 4-40. All done on the Bridgeport. Living dangerously, I power tapped the threaded holes.

The flywheel slot was done on the CNC.

Then, off to the powder coat area. A good rubdown with ScotchBrite and cleaned with acetone. All holes were plugged.

After curing the powder, a cool down

Stay tuned for another exciting episode which will follow very shortly since the parts for it are actually completed.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 02:31:00 PM by sshire »
Best,
Stan

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2017, 02:34:30 PM »
Good to see you back in the shop Stan!! I figured you had been busy with other things.

Bill

Offline kvom

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2017, 02:46:10 PM »
What are you using for the plugs?  Might do some powder coating myself.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal