Author Topic: Stew Hart's Simpson and Shipton Short Stroke  (Read 12732 times)

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
Stew Hart's Simpson and Shipton Short Stroke
« on: November 21, 2016, 08:14:20 PM »
Prelude to A New Engine Build
Simpson and Shipton Short Stroke - Episode 1

“I Swore I’d Never Do It!”

Dust off the chairs. Warm up the popcorn machine. Have the beverage of choice at hand.
Yes, its time for another engine.
This time, Stew Hart’s version of the Simpson and Shipton Short Stroke. As with the Monitor, Julius was kind enough to make the drawings available.

Not a small engine with its 10” flywheel and multiple levels.

Here’s a picture of Stew’s completed engine.

I was drawn to this one because of the unusual oval cylinder and therein lies a tale.

My usual bedtime “let’s figure out how to machine this oval cylinder” routine finally arrived at a machining plan which involved the Bridgeport, rotary table, large end mills, boring head, 12 setups and not a small measure of fine Scottish produce.

What about…Dare I say it? CNC?

I swore I'd never do it. Real men turn handles. It's not machining.
Until you spend two days on some fiddly bit that could have been done in under an hour. Six identical parts. The first is fun. The second? Not so bad. The other four? Not much fun.

OK. I understand. CNC is not the lair of the devil. Just another tool.

This will not be a CNC build log. Nick Raymond at Make: has done the best one of those for a Little Machine Shop mini mill. Excellent step-by-step. Perfect photos.

http://makezine.com/projects/cnc-mini-mill-conversion-kit-hardware/

After back and forth emails with Ron Ginger with advice on what I needed, Richie (my UPS guy) has been busy.
Steppers, PMDX control box and USB interface, CNCFusion ballscrews and mounts, 4th axis, various boxes of wire, limit switches, Mach 4, pendants, probes and assorted miscellany.

Big truck dropped off Little Machine Shop Hi-torque mini-mill.

While waiting for various bits and bobs, I disassembled the mill, cleaned the grease and duck sauce, fettled a few burrs off and gave all sliding surfaces a rubdown with Scotchbrite pads.

]

Also, 3D printed some cable grommets and stepper motor covers

Then, step-by-step through the Make: instructions until, two days later, I had a running machine that actually obeyed g-code. As with anything computer, they do what you tell them to do. Not what you want them to do.

After a few weeks of learning the Inventor CAM module, not a few broken end mills and tests in Styrofoam, Delrin and aluminum, I’m beginning to get a handle on the process. The major “Aha moment” came when I realized that this is not a Haas VMC with a 30 HP motor. So, by limiting feeds and speeds to a range where the mill wasn’t complaining, things started to go much better.

This engine really wants to be built from the base upwards and, that’s how I’ll do it. Making the oval cylinder first was absolutely out of order but I needed to know if, after building a CNC mill, it was worthwhile.

The cylinder will be brass and it’s ordered. Proof of concept was done in aluminum before I committed a $25 chunk of brass to the ravages of an end mill.

I first did an outline and hole position test at short depth and then the full depth part.

Then, to the Bridgeport to remove the extra thickness with a face mill.

I’m glad I did the aluminum first as there were a few settings that I’ll change for the brass part. That said, the part was within .001 on all dimensions and the machine time was a few minutes over an hour. (Let’s not count the cam learning time, the “how in the hell can I hold this part” time and the “I need a drink” time). Just two oops moments: the part moved slightly on the last finish pass due to a “Haas style” feed rate that I’d missed in CAM and a drill bit that (don’t know why) didn’t fully retract before moving to the next of 16 holes.

After I return from Thanksgiving festivities, I’ll start from the base upward.
Stay Tuned

Best,
Stan

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
Re: Stew Hart's Simpson and Shipton Short Stroke
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 08:22:50 PM »
Nice to see someone having a go at this engine Stan, I've seen a video of this engine running but never could figure out how it worked so I'll be following along with interest.

Depending on how my Stewart Hart Grasshopper engine turns out I may be interested in having a bash at one of these  :)

Peter

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 09:00:57 PM »
Getting out the popcorn now! That is a beaut of an engine.

As you say, making 6 of them by hand would be a chore. Though, you could do one of them by hand to show us how, then CNC the rest!

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 10:53:49 PM »
I still intend to do most parts "by hand." As I said, the fiddly bits are CNC fodder. Think it comes down to "how can I do this in a reasonable time with accuracy?" Not that I'm on a time clock but if I can have a part running on the CNC while I work on another part on the mill or lathe I might be able to finish an engine in less than four months (my average for the Coventry and Monitor).
I'm shooting for NAMES in April with this one.
Best,
Stan

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 02:55:04 AM »
The fun never stops at the Shire shop does it?  :lolb:
PMDX makes nice stuff; I have several of there products in my converted knee mill controller.
I will be pulling up a chair and following along from here in Idaho!

Dave 

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 06:47:23 AM »
Oh goody!

:popcorn: :popcorn:  :cheers: :DrinkPint:

Cheers
Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 04:22:23 PM »
Stan,

I've been wondering what you have been up to with no engine builds and only a few other posts.

I have been considering the same way to get into CNC as I want to keep my handy hand mill.

I will be following this engine build and looking forward to your excellent descriptions and photos.

Thank you for posting all of it.

ShopShoe

Offline kvom

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 04:37:09 PM »
My CNC experience with model parts is this:

Anything with a curved profile that would otherwise required a rotary table I  use the CNC mill.

More than 2 parts to make I'll think about CNC even if orthogonal, esp. if many can be made at the same time from a single piece of stock.

Holes larger than 1" diameter not suitable for lathe, as well as odd-sized holes

Parts with many holes of the same size, such as steam chests and covers.

Parts that need to use very small cutters, since feed rates are easier to control.

Gears with teeth large enough to fit an endmill

Studs larger than 6-32

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 06:17:18 PM »
Thanks, Kirk
I'll post your list next to the CNC.
Best,
Stan

Offline kvom

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 08:04:43 PM »
In viewing Chris' Lombard project, one can state pretty clearly that the tracks and sprockets were clear candidates for CNC.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 09:31:35 PM »
Now,  doesn't that feel better : confession is good for the soul  :lolb:. So, how totally awesome is that.  PACEMSCNC :naughty: :lolb:, got any sponsors yet, do you use Lakeshore carbide cutters , OMG, how awesome is this  :lolb:. Seriously Vern,  I'll be here with fine Tennessee produce in hand following along.  Tell everybody I said how they doing. 

Cletus

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 09:40:18 PM »
Hi Stan

Good to see you having a go at this engine even if I do say it myself it's a nice looking engine. Are you using my plans or Julian's plans if you PM me with your email I'll send you my plans.

You have to match up the length of piston perfectly to the width of the cylinder to limit end leeks, also getting the orientation of the four connecting rods correct is a bitch of a job.

I only know of one other being built I don't think it ever ran, and it's passed around a bit last I heard it was
In Australia.

Looking forward to seeing how you tackle it

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 10:50:57 PM »
Stan,
This should be a fun build to watch. I must admit liking the oddball sort of engine.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 11:04:37 PM »
Will be following along Stan.  And congratulations on making the move to CNC.  I have toyed with the idea but have always chickened out.

Vince

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2016, 02:04:33 AM »
In viewing Chris' Lombard project, one can state pretty clearly that the tracks and sprockets were clear candidates for CNC.

But that would be no fun! Probably quicker, but not as much fun.

Offline bruedney

• Wellington, New Zealand
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2016, 09:05:41 AM »
Looking good Stan

:popcorn:

Cheers

Bruce
‘Results! Why man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won’t work.’ — Thomas Alva Edison

Offline mikemill

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2016, 11:51:37 AM »
Stan

As you said CNC is just another tool, but what a tool now you have it start to explore its possibilities. CNC allows you to take a different approach to making parts, especially using the forth axis, I can promise you will have so much fun.

Mike

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2016, 06:03:59 PM »
Stan, I suspect you'll use CNC a lot more than you think.  Turns out it's a lot of fun.  I love the HiTorque mini mill and have always wished I had one.  But my older Enco mill/drill CNC conversion has met my needs, so couldn't justify the expense and effort of converting over.

This is a cool engine project.  I'll be interested in following along.

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2016, 06:17:45 PM »
OOOOOOOUUU!

Didn't see that coming!   Like the mill!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2016, 07:31:58 PM »
I'm with Dave...didn't see that coming either, but sure looks like a nice setup Stan. And Stew's engine is a beauty too. I will be along for the ride, with both the engine and the new CNC as well!!

Bill

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2016, 07:33:56 PM »
Looks to be another good project to follow along  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:

"Then, step-by-step through the Make: instructions until, two days later, I had a running machine that actually obeyed g-code. As with anything computer, they do what you tell them to do. Not what you want them to do."

So so true  ::)  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2016, 08:32:22 PM »
Looks to be another good project to follow along  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:

"Then, step-by-step through the Make: instructions until, two days later, I had a running machine that actually obeyed g-code. As with anything computer, they do what you tell them to do. Not what you want them to do."

So so true  ::)  :wine1:

Sometimes the problem is that you don't tell them what to do and the default is the culprit!
So many projects, so little time...

Offline kvom

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2016, 11:01:29 PM »
Actually they do what you tell them, not what you mean.   :facepalm2:

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2016, 09:28:02 AM »
Hi  I thought some of you guys following Stan's thread would like to see the video of my engine running.

Enjoy

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxpAIlInObk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxpAIlInObk</a>

Cheers

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline paul gough

• Tropical Queensland, Australia
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2016, 10:19:35 AM »
Thought these might be of interest. Regards Paul Gough.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2016, 07:44:18 PM »
How are things in the CNC world Stan? Any updates on the S&Sss?

Bill

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2017, 02:22:34 PM »
The Alliterative Engine
Simpson and Shipton Short Stroke

Episode 1b or Where’s Waldo Stan

Sometime in the recent past, I started the Simpson and Shipton Short Stroke.
Stew Hart was exceptionally helpful and it looked as if it would move right along.
Then....
When I started the whole CNC thing, people said “Any Windows computer is fine.” As a Mac guy since 1984, I've paid little attention to Windows boxes.
Actually, my first computers were a TRS-80 and then a Kaypro II running CP/M. Then there was grad school and PDP-11s to run the graphics workstations.
I went to Microcenter and bought a low to midrange HP desktop. (Daddy always said, “Never buy the bottom of the line”) which worked well enough. Inventor CAD and CAM were fine (not super speedy, but worked,) Hires renders gave me time to break for lunch.
Mach 4 ran without a glitch. Good so far.
On Friday, I went down to the shop (“Velcome back to the shop”) to model a part in Inventor and the computer wouldn’t turn on. Tried all of the magic tricks that HP suggested. Nada.
Drove the box over to Microcenter. The repair guy said, “Motherboard. $350 parts and labor.”
No way I’m dropping that into a cheepo Chinese HP box.
I had pretty much convinced myself to go to the Apple store, give them my AMEX and get a new iMac. When you boot it into Windows, it’s pretty much better than an actual Windows box. (PC Magazine said that the best Windows laptop was a MacBook Pro running WIN 7 or 10)
When I was looking at tech support on HP website, I caught a link to a CAD workstation but kept on going. HP
CAD Workstations are hot. Very fast and certified by Solidworks, Inventor, Autocad, Yada Yada, but, as I remembered, crazy expensive.
Not so much anymore.
Ended up ordering the HP Z2 Mini, CAD/Cam Graphics workstation.
After setting it up with Inventor, Mach4, Repetier Host and Server (3D printing), etc and all was running well, the internal drive was cloned to a 1TB Samsung SSD.
Speed is astounding. Windows boots in under 10 seconds. Inventor loads in about 20 seconds (down from nearly a minute on the old computer.)

Then, I spent a day building an enclosure for the CNC.

With that done, I thought I'd get rolling on the Simpson and Shipton as soon as I made a quick part for my brother. A few ½" holes, 1" deep in 6061.
Although I rarely use it, this seemed like a good time to use the Bridgeport’s auto downfeed.
Set the depth stop. Pick the feed rate. Engage the lever. Drilling commences and releases a clutch when it hits the depth stop. Right.
Lever wouldn't move. Entire mechanism was locked up. After getting out the Complete Bridgeport Repair and Rebuilding manual and disassembling the parts, I realized that one of the trip lever's ears had snapped off.

Yet another project? My first thought was to order a new lever from H&W. went to their website. $85.00!
Why should I spend $85 when I have thousands of $ in machines.
Initially, I thought the part was steel but on closer inspection it was cast bronze. Don't find much of that on import mills.
Suddenly this got a lot easier.
New end in brass, quality time with Oliver, cut off broken ear section. Silver solder, file and paint.

3 hours yesterday morning and all is well.

And, for another time, the design and installation of the small electric trolley hoist to lift the Kurt, dividing head and rotary table on and off the Bridgeport.

Add in,  removing the leaves and tuning up the snowblower, Good timing.

various and sundry home activities (like replacing chowdered mounting screws in my friend’s dishwasher

bread production

and Fred’s twice-yearly Gun Day. (Note: there are 4 MEM members here)

It's a wonder I get any engines built.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 02:30:16 PM by sshire »
Best,
Stan

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2017, 02:24:26 PM »
The Alliterative Engine

Episode 2

It seemed like a good plan to start with the two mounting plates since these hold all of the parts.

The drawing and CAM were done in Inventor and the Cylinder Mounting Plate was completed on the CNC Mini-Mill

Next the 8”x8” Base Plate (Bearing mounting plate). Many, many holes. Some are clearance holes and other are tapped 4-40. All done on the Bridgeport. Living dangerously, I power tapped the threaded holes.

The flywheel slot was done on the CNC.

Then, off to the powder coat area. A good rubdown with ScotchBrite and cleaned with acetone. All holes were plugged.

After curing the powder, a cool down

Stay tuned for another exciting episode which will follow very shortly since the parts for it are actually completed.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 02:31:00 PM by sshire »
Best,
Stan

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2017, 02:34:30 PM »
Good to see you back in the shop Stan!! I figured you had been busy with other things.

Bill

Offline kvom

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2017, 02:46:10 PM »
What are you using for the plugs?  Might do some powder coating myself.

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2017, 03:50:05 PM »
The Alliterative Engine

Episode 3

With the plates completed, I wanted to get on the columns, the bases and the rotunds.

There are 12 fluted columns, 12 bases and 24 rotunds to make,

First up, the fluted columns. My first thought was to setup the dividing head on the Bridgeport.
On second thought, this seemed like a good opportunity to sort out the CNC rotary axis.
Setting the steps per degree in Mach 4 took quite a long time until I got it bang on and then indicated.

After that, not much to do but watch it make 4, 6” long columns.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJv1Nqgp3Zk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJv1Nqgp3Zk</a>

These were later parted into the 12 columns on the lathe and powder coated. In addition, each column is drilled and tapped 6-32 ate both ends.

The Rotunds

The rotunds are made with a form tool. I began with a piece of tool steel and milled a semi-circle into one end. Using a tapered cutter give a nice relief angle to the hole.

To create the relief angle, on the front edge, I used the surface grinder and sine vise.

The tool was heat treated and then diamond honed.

On the lathe, 24 rotunds were turned.

It’s quite important that the columns, the bases and the rotunds are the same height. If not, the plates will rock, twist and other bad things.

First, each of the 24 rotunds went into a 5C collet on the surface grinder and, on the recommendation of Norton, a black silicon carbide wheel was installed to machine the brass. With the mini-cool running, the wheel did not load up and gave a very nice surface finish.

So, one side flat. The reverse was done in groups with the rotunds fixed to a ground flat with double-stick tape. All 24 were within .0005. My backup plan, if the coolant was causing the tape to fail, was

The bases were cut from a 1” brass square bar. I wasn’t happy with the thought of parting them off on the lathe or the bandsaw as I’d turn as much of the brass into chips as the part thickness. My solution was to face them on the Bridgeport and use a thin slitting saw.

One face was flattened with the face mill and then the final dimensioning was the same as the rotunds: double-stick tape and surface grinder.

Returning to the plates, I neglected to show the pre-powder coat finishing.

Flattening

Chamfering

Finally, the obligatory family shot.

Thanks for watching.
Best,
Stan

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2017, 03:54:14 PM »
Bill
I actually haven't been out of the shop. it's just all the non-engine stuff that gets in the way

Kirk
They are high temp silicon powder coating plugs.
All things powder coating here
https://www.amazon.com/Powder-Pro-Coating-Supply/b/ref=bl_dp_s_web_14105410011?ie=UTF8&node=14105410011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Powder+Pro+Coating+Supply
Best,
Stan

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2017, 04:08:16 PM »
That is a seriously good looking base!
Great that you can grind brass, will keep that in mind.

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2017, 04:23:53 PM »
Stan, what is the Bosch head attached to the mill? Why did you use that rather than the mill spindle? Ir did I miss something?

Bill

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2017, 04:27:28 PM »
The max rpm on the LMS mini mill with the speed up kit is 5000 rpm.
The Bosch 1hp trim router is 30,000 RPM.
Feeds rate and surface finish (with carbide end mills)all benefit.
Also, much improvement on engraving ops.
Best,
Stan

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2017, 02:56:13 PM »
Excellent documentation as always Vern. The powder coating looks great 👍. Seems like you are getting on well with the CNC. Keep it coming   

Cletus

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2017, 04:48:27 PM »
Thanks Bill, Gerrit and Cletus.
Much appreciated.
I may just PM the build to you guys. Secret build log.
Best,
Stan

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2017, 05:26:39 PM »
Stan, I am also curious as to how well the powder coating sticks to sharp corners or in this case the edges of the flutes. Does it tend to recede away from them in the curing process or cover them as well as flatter surfaces?

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2017, 06:04:57 PM »
Looks great Stan!

I would be worried about scratching it up during the rest of the build.

Dave

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2017, 06:08:17 PM »
Bill, there doesn't seem to be any issue with sharp corners. After reading Powder Coating forum posts, the issue with problem corners seems to be either burrs or VERY sharp corners. Of course, good prep is essential. I'm pretty sure that my rubdown with ScotchBrite, then bead blasting, then acetone and (in the case of the columns) a run by the ScotchBrite wheel on the bench grinder, has knocked off the burrs and slightly rounded the edges.
The issue I had with inside corners on the old gun (HF) was a Faraday Cage effect. (Powder not being attracted to inside corners)  The Redline gun has a continuous KV adjustment so that issue is gone. The ability to vary the Kilovolt setting in an analog manner is superior to the Eastwood dual voltage gun - only 2 settings.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 06:12:08 PM by sshire »
Best,
Stan

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2017, 06:10:55 PM »
Thanks, Dave.
It's plastic wrapped now and will remain so for part fitting. I'll just be real careful.
Since I got the new gun, the dogs are hiding for fear of becoming Super Mirror Black. I keep looking for stuff to powder coat.
Best,
Stan

Offline kvom

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2017, 08:39:46 PM »
My friend, who does powder coating for automotive parts, does a clear coat first, then a color coat.

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2017, 08:57:29 PM »
Second coats are difficult unless you have a $1000 gun.
That's what I understand. I may give that a try. Nothing to lose.
Best,
Stan

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2017, 09:17:32 PM »
My friend, who does powder coating for automotive parts, does a clear coat first, then a color coat.

That seems backwards, what is the reason he does the clear first?

Dave

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2017, 09:20:23 PM »
Corners....

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2017, 09:21:51 PM »
BTW Vern, the bread looked awesome, and what about the apron you were sporting. Is that the new "haute couture" in shop attire; quite spiffy: defininate style points

Cletus

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2017, 09:39:51 PM »
That is my handmade in the USA dress apron direct from Springbucket, TN. Thank you Cletus. It never gets near the shop. Way to pretty.
Best,
Stan

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2017, 09:45:24 PM »
Man ought not say that bout tools and shop stuff; use it  8)

Cletus

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2017, 09:49:56 PM »
Much appreciated.
That'd be sad  :'(

Then the rest of us couldn't learn from your excellently documented build posts!  I vote for keeping them out in the open!  (In as much as any vote but your own counts, Vern  ^-^)

Thanks for the interesting posts. Your power coating does look amazing.  Someday I may have to get an oven and try this.  You can do it with a toaster oven, right?  Or do you need a fancy heat treating oven capable of 150000 degrees C?

Kim

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2017, 10:08:24 PM »
Much appreciated.
That'd be sad  :'(

Then the rest of us couldn't learn from your excellently documented build posts!  I vote for keeping them out in the open!  (In as much as any vote but your own counts, Vern  ^-^)

Kim

I agree it would be a shame if this build log stops  :(

I like this engine and did ask for the plans with a view to trying to build one, once I saw the plans I realised this is far more complicated than I had thought and is way beyond my skill but I'd love to watch this one take shape.

It's an unusual engine and it's great to see something out of the ordinary.

Peter

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2017, 10:17:57 PM »
Well I've certainly missed a lot here.

I didn't know you got that CNC machine. How's it working for you?

Glad to see you around.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2017, 10:35:16 PM »
Kim
Toaster oven. I did connect it to a PID controller since the temp dial was 30° off.
It holds +- 2° now.
Not sure that it needs to be that precise. My original setup was just a yard sale toaster oven. Worked fine but I had the PID on the shelf from 2 espresso machines ago so why not?

Zee
I'm sure you're busy digging that hole in the yard.
The CNC is working a treat. Once everything got tuned up and sorted out it is quite stable and repeatable.
Easy conversion. Next week, i plan on installing the column riser block that I got from LMS at Cabin Fever.
The 2" of extra headroom will allow a bit of breathing room.

Best,
Stan

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2017, 03:07:52 PM »
Stan,
Everything seems to be going great and the black powder coat is spectacular along with the brass.

I'm needing a high-speed spindle for cutting aluminum with small tools on my CNC machine (and for engraving as you note). I was looking at the German-made Kress because I noticed it's what Tormach sells for this, but I saw that you were using the somewhat less expensive Bosch. I was wondering what you thought of it, and whether I might be just as happy with it.

--Tim

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2017, 10:59:52 PM »
Tim
I read a slew of reviews. Many from the wood guys and contractors and very few were negative.
It is (along with the Kress) one of the few with a metal body under the plastic which give more stable clamping.
Best,
Stan

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2017, 11:03:50 PM »
Almost forgot. Ron Ginger and the Mach 4 guys were running an EBay water cooled spindle.
You might PM Ron and ask him about it. They seemed to like it a lot.
Best,
Stan

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2017, 06:59:31 PM »
The Alliterative Engine

Episode 4

Bearing Blocks and Bases

Starting with squaring and dimensioning a piece of 6061 flatbar I indicated the fixed-jaw edge for milling the decorative grooves on all four corners.

After cutting the four blocks and milling them to length, then tap drilling holes , the blocks were split.
Then, the bottom halves were tapped with a form tap.

Then, shortening the 8 bolts. I have made “shortening fixtures" for most of the screw sizes that I use.
Once the screws are set to the correct height, a quick run on the belt sander gets them to size

Filing and sanding finishes this step.

Bases

6061 flat bar is squared and milled to size then cut and milled to length.

Since there are 8, 16º angles to mill, I thought it would be worth the time to set up the sine jaws.

To get clearance for drilling, the thin parallels needed to be used. The problem with these is the constant falling over each time the vise is opened. Of course, each time they fall over, chips get behind them.These keepers work a treat and they come 100 to a bag.

Drilled, flipped over and counterbored.

Bolting Pads

Brass round bar turned to diameter, then center drilled and parted off.

The bases are milled to create a recess for the bolting pads.

That completes the bases.

Returning to the blocks, centers found, then, step drilled and reamed for the bushings.

Bushings

Bronze round bar, turned to a slightly tight slip fit into the bearing blocks. Then drilled and reamed for the shaft. Finally, four, parted to length.

Bearing blocks family shot.

Thanks for watching.

Best,
Stan

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2017, 07:39:01 PM »
Very nice sequence!

:popcorn:

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2017, 11:00:34 PM »
Very nice work Stan.

Thanks for the update.
Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2017, 11:48:36 PM »
Well done and well documented both Stan. Nice looking parts!!

Bill

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2017, 11:53:22 PM »
Looking awesome Stan!   I like that sine jaw!...

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2017, 05:49:01 PM »
Vern, just f'n ducky  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:. I have put the Haimer on the Amex hit list. I have been fiddle farting around with a little project and I have noticed that when finding the center of a part with the DRO, of a know and verified dimension, I can be off as much as.002-.003" when using a Starrett edge finder. Now, might be alcohol induced shakes or the interpretation of the edge finder. With the Haimer, well, zero is zero. Keep your vick in a wise  :lolb: :lolb: :lolb:

Cuz

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2017, 08:32:05 PM »
So much to catch up on  ::) Looking good  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger