Author Topic: Stew Hart's Simpson and Shipton Short Stroke  (Read 13057 times)

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
Stew Hart's Simpson and Shipton Short Stroke
« on: November 21, 2016, 08:14:20 PM »
Prelude to A New Engine Build
Simpson and Shipton Short Stroke - Episode 1

“I Swore I’d Never Do It!”

Dust off the chairs. Warm up the popcorn machine. Have the beverage of choice at hand.
Yes, its time for another engine.
This time, Stew Hart’s version of the Simpson and Shipton Short Stroke. As with the Monitor, Julius was kind enough to make the drawings available.

Not a small engine with its 10” flywheel and multiple levels.

Here’s a picture of Stew’s completed engine.

I was drawn to this one because of the unusual oval cylinder and therein lies a tale.

My usual bedtime “let’s figure out how to machine this oval cylinder” routine finally arrived at a machining plan which involved the Bridgeport, rotary table, large end mills, boring head, 12 setups and not a small measure of fine Scottish produce.

What about…Dare I say it? CNC?

I swore I'd never do it. Real men turn handles. It's not machining.
Until you spend two days on some fiddly bit that could have been done in under an hour. Six identical parts. The first is fun. The second? Not so bad. The other four? Not much fun.

OK. I understand. CNC is not the lair of the devil. Just another tool.

This will not be a CNC build log. Nick Raymond at Make: has done the best one of those for a Little Machine Shop mini mill. Excellent step-by-step. Perfect photos.

http://makezine.com/projects/cnc-mini-mill-conversion-kit-hardware/

After back and forth emails with Ron Ginger with advice on what I needed, Richie (my UPS guy) has been busy.
Steppers, PMDX control box and USB interface, CNCFusion ballscrews and mounts, 4th axis, various boxes of wire, limit switches, Mach 4, pendants, probes and assorted miscellany.

Big truck dropped off Little Machine Shop Hi-torque mini-mill.

While waiting for various bits and bobs, I disassembled the mill, cleaned the grease and duck sauce, fettled a few burrs off and gave all sliding surfaces a rubdown with Scotchbrite pads.

]

Also, 3D printed some cable grommets and stepper motor covers

Then, step-by-step through the Make: instructions until, two days later, I had a running machine that actually obeyed g-code. As with anything computer, they do what you tell them to do. Not what you want them to do.

After a few weeks of learning the Inventor CAM module, not a few broken end mills and tests in Styrofoam, Delrin and aluminum, I’m beginning to get a handle on the process. The major “Aha moment” came when I realized that this is not a Haas VMC with a 30 HP motor. So, by limiting feeds and speeds to a range where the mill wasn’t complaining, things started to go much better.

This engine really wants to be built from the base upwards and, that’s how I’ll do it. Making the oval cylinder first was absolutely out of order but I needed to know if, after building a CNC mill, it was worthwhile.

The cylinder will be brass and it’s ordered. Proof of concept was done in aluminum before I committed a $25 chunk of brass to the ravages of an end mill.

I first did an outline and hole position test at short depth and then the full depth part.

Then, to the Bridgeport to remove the extra thickness with a face mill.

I’m glad I did the aluminum first as there were a few settings that I’ll change for the brass part. That said, the part was within .001 on all dimensions and the machine time was a few minutes over an hour. (Let’s not count the cam learning time, the “how in the hell can I hold this part” time and the “I need a drink” time). Just two oops moments: the part moved slightly on the last finish pass due to a “Haas style” feed rate that I’d missed in CAM and a drill bit that (don’t know why) didn’t fully retract before moving to the next of 16 holes.

After I return from Thanksgiving festivities, I’ll start from the base upward.
Stay Tuned

Best,
Stan

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
Re: Stew Hart's Simpson and Shipton Short Stroke
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 08:22:50 PM »
Nice to see someone having a go at this engine Stan, I've seen a video of this engine running but never could figure out how it worked so I'll be following along with interest.

Depending on how my Stewart Hart Grasshopper engine turns out I may be interested in having a bash at one of these  :)

Peter

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 09:00:57 PM »
Getting out the popcorn now! That is a beaut of an engine.

As you say, making 6 of them by hand would be a chore. Though, you could do one of them by hand to show us how, then CNC the rest!

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 10:53:49 PM »
I still intend to do most parts "by hand." As I said, the fiddly bits are CNC fodder. Think it comes down to "how can I do this in a reasonable time with accuracy?" Not that I'm on a time clock but if I can have a part running on the CNC while I work on another part on the mill or lathe I might be able to finish an engine in less than four months (my average for the Coventry and Monitor).
I'm shooting for NAMES in April with this one.
Best,
Stan

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 02:55:04 AM »
The fun never stops at the Shire shop does it?  :lolb:
PMDX makes nice stuff; I have several of there products in my converted knee mill controller.
I will be pulling up a chair and following along from here in Idaho!

Dave 

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 06:47:23 AM »
Oh goody!

:popcorn: :popcorn:  :cheers: :DrinkPint:

Cheers
Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 04:22:23 PM »
Stan,

I've been wondering what you have been up to with no engine builds and only a few other posts.

I have been considering the same way to get into CNC as I want to keep my handy hand mill.

I will be following this engine build and looking forward to your excellent descriptions and photos.

Thank you for posting all of it.

ShopShoe

Offline kvom

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 04:37:09 PM »
My CNC experience with model parts is this:

Anything with a curved profile that would otherwise required a rotary table I  use the CNC mill.

More than 2 parts to make I'll think about CNC even if orthogonal, esp. if many can be made at the same time from a single piece of stock.

Holes larger than 1" diameter not suitable for lathe, as well as odd-sized holes

Parts with many holes of the same size, such as steam chests and covers.

Parts that need to use very small cutters, since feed rates are easier to control.

Gears with teeth large enough to fit an endmill

Studs larger than 6-32

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 06:17:18 PM »
Thanks, Kirk
I'll post your list next to the CNC.
Best,
Stan

Offline kvom

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 08:04:43 PM »
In viewing Chris' Lombard project, one can state pretty clearly that the tracks and sprockets were clear candidates for CNC.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 09:31:35 PM »
Now,  doesn't that feel better : confession is good for the soul  :lolb:. So, how totally awesome is that.  PACEMSCNC :naughty: :lolb:, got any sponsors yet, do you use Lakeshore carbide cutters , OMG, how awesome is this  :lolb:. Seriously Vern,  I'll be here with fine Tennessee produce in hand following along.  Tell everybody I said how they doing. 

Cletus

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 09:40:18 PM »
Hi Stan

Good to see you having a go at this engine even if I do say it myself it's a nice looking engine. Are you using my plans or Julian's plans if you PM me with your email I'll send you my plans.

You have to match up the length of piston perfectly to the width of the cylinder to limit end leeks, also getting the orientation of the four connecting rods correct is a bitch of a job.

I only know of one other being built I don't think it ever ran, and it's passed around a bit last I heard it was
In Australia.

Looking forward to seeing how you tackle it

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 10:50:57 PM »
Stan,
This should be a fun build to watch. I must admit liking the oddball sort of engine.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 11:04:37 PM »
Will be following along Stan.  And congratulations on making the move to CNC.  I have toyed with the idea but have always chickened out.

Vince

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2016, 02:04:33 AM »
In viewing Chris' Lombard project, one can state pretty clearly that the tracks and sprockets were clear candidates for CNC.

But that would be no fun! Probably quicker, but not as much fun.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal