Author Topic: Universal Joint  (Read 8101 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Universal Joint
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2016, 06:42:23 PM »
As I get a bit deeper into the machining of the second universal, using the A36 material, I'm not seeing a lot of difference in how it machines compared to the 1045 material. Possibly a bit more drag on an endmill when I'm backing out of a plunge cut, but not a big enough difference to worry about. I think that overall, there isn't a big enough difference in machinability between the two different materials to worry about.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2016, 12:42:29 AM »
I left one picture out of the line-up when I was making the first universal joint. This is a picture of the four 3/16" holes that were put in just before "chain plunging" the material away from 3 sides with a 3/16" endmill .

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2016, 12:47:52 AM »
Almost there!! If I can get the spider for the second u-joint done tomorrow, I'll have a pair of them. It's crazy--this is a $650 pair of u-joints, if you consider the time that went into them at about $40 an hour for cheap machine shop rates. I can remember buying full sized auto u-joints for about $16 a set.---Says a lot for the economies in automation and mass production.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2016, 07:17:08 PM »
And we're finished. Two more toys to add to my stable of "weird things I can run with my model engines". It has been a quick and painless build, and it's just another of the nifty things I wanted to build---Just to see if I could!!
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci9783NXzr0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci9783NXzr0</a>

Offline strictlybusiness1

• ME., Tool Maker
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2016, 08:47:03 PM »
Brian,

For many years I have made ball & pin type constant velocity universal joints. They are used at RPM's of 30,000+ & 7.0+ HP. All the parts are made of AISI-O1 tool steel. The slotted female part is fully hardened in the area where the drive pin rides. The drive pins are M-2 steel blanks & they are pressed into the male ball parts. The male ball parts are fully hardened & then tempered to a spring temper.

Jim Allen

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal