Author Topic: Hoglet engine once more !!  (Read 1587 times)

Offline Trevorc

Hoglet engine once more !!
« on: November 16, 2016, 10:00:09 PM »
Hello, i have completed all of the parts for the kick start mechanism. However i am stumped as to how to make the spiral return spring and also where to get thevflatbsprimg material. I have successfully made many coil springs using roind piano wire but this spiral one is defeating me at present.
Living in UK I would appreciate knowing of a UK source for the flat sprmg material. I have not had much luck obtaining items from USA suppliers.
Many thanks for your help.
Trevor

Offline crankshafter

• Molde, Norway
Re: Hoglet engine once more !!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 11:17:21 PM »
Trevorc.
I used a pice of a returnspring for the cord on a vacumecleaner.
Here is my qestion.  Have you got the spragclutch? If so, where do you get it from. I have started on my second  Hoglet and I need one..
For the first one I got the spragclutch from CandH Surplus. They list it on their homepage. Have sendt them a Email but no answer.
CS
"I cut it twice, and it's still to short"!!??">#%

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 06:45:54 AM »
Reeves sell flat spring material in various sizes and it is annealed so easyish to shape and then harden.

Offline Trevorc

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 08:17:43 PM »
I dont know how to reply seperately so here goes a joint response.
Firstly, thanks for advise about Reeves, i have used them for steamy bits but didnt think of them for this.

Yes, i too sent C and H suppies an email which was ignored, same with several other US suppliers. I did get my sprag clutch from them but i used the services of a friend in Texas so they are still in stock at 15$ each. Try phoning him rememberings he is only open on Friday and Saturday.
If you cant get one from C and H then you could easily desing and build your own using the one way roller bearing and a seperate sprocket- this was my Plan B if C and H didnt come good.
Regards
Trevor

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 11:57:03 PM »
For a flat spring, I repurpose the rewind spring from the starter cord on a lawn mower, chainsaw, or weed-eater, or a small outboard motor.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal