Author Topic: 90 degree joint in rotating shafts  (Read 11628 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: 90 degree joint in rotating shafts
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2016, 03:56:05 AM »
Something neat that I hadn't noticed before---there is a tight spot in the mechanism, just as the sliding sleeve on the main-post reaches the top and starts down again. Watch the way the flyball governor reacts to that tight spot. You can see the balls flying in and out, allowing more air flow into the cylinders as the torque demand increases at that tight spot. It isn't in exact synchronization because of the elasticity of the o-ring drive belt, but it is definitely there. The flyball governor is trying it's best to keep a constant rpm at the engine. Ya got to love that old time motion control action!!!
So its a right angle drive AND a governor testing device!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2016, 04:08:07 AM »
Yes Chris, it wasn't intended to be a governor testing device, but it is. That governor is such a neat thing. I designed that based on old drawings in "500 Mechanical Movements" about 6 or 7 years ago, just after I had built the engine, and was fascinated the way it responds to loads imposed on the engine. Some of that old time "mechanica" is just so darn neat to watch working. Sometimes I almost feel as if I was born a hundred years to late.---You are doing amazing work on you timber hauler tracks. You have more patience than I do.---Brian

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester UK (where the lathes were made)
    • Bill's website
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2016, 07:13:50 PM »
The interesting thing about this mechanism for me is that it translates the rotation without reversal  and could be used to change any angle or height . Very neat.

Congratulations Brain, another wonderful model :-)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2016, 07:19:39 PM »
So, now that it works, and you all have access to the drawings, it's time to offer up a challenge. Who is going to be the first person to put a third "ear" on that orange colored plate and drive a third shaft of the primary driver (blue) shaft?

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2016, 08:00:10 PM »
Brian, the neat thing about that gizzie is that if the sliding tube were long enough one could put any number of connections on it, either driving or driven. A real communal hook-up!!

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2016, 07:22:59 AM »
That is just pretty cool Brian!
Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal