Hello, I am finally getting around to the most important thing in this forum: pictures!
I'll try to keep the amount of description to a minimum
This is my first time using a so-called "Superglue Arbor".
Of note here was my difficulty in cutting the face. In the video, the face is cut by starting near the center and working outwards, but due to my tool bit grind angles, I was having trouble clearing the spigot that was being formed, so I instead reduced the outside diameter a bit at a time.
Also, my tool bit angles were not allowing me to cut into the corner. I instead plunge in a few thou and create a countersink to work around that.
Some channels to ensure that there is enough air for the glue
And it's set! It literally takes only half a minute to bond solidly.
So I turned down the outside diameter just enough to clean up the surface. By co-incidence, I'd managed to reduce to the actual 2.5 inch diameter.
And then I cut the recess. First whoops moment: forgot to measure the other side's recess depth so that at least both sides are consistent!
Next up is drilling the 6 equispaced holes. Now up to this point I'd tried a myriad of ways to index using the lathe chuck (trying to count the number of pulley teeth per chuck revolution etc), until I decided to try mounting the lot in a milling attachment, to give me both x and y movement. Mercifully, the milling attachment dial was also in thousands of an inch.
Using the plain ol' "Mark 1 Eyeball" to find the horizontal "zero". Setting the centerline height took me ages too, but I got pretty close.
A picture of the overall setup, ready to go.
Obviously, cutting the first two holes wasn't too big a deal
And here is my crude answer to the "repeatability" problem of the 3 jaw chuck: I got sick of having to re-align the drill bit (to minimise runout) every time I swapped it back in.
All 6 holes are drilled... And unfortunately there is an error with the top two. It seems I miscounted the number of turns (about 20, since the Y axis dial only goes to 50 thou!)
Oh well, that's why this is the "test piece"... Still, I love how well the Superglue Arbor works. A bit of heat from a big blow torch and it comes apart no problem.
And here is the finished "prototype"
What I've learned is: I want a rotary table I can mount to the lathe! D'oh!
Thanks for reading