Author Topic: My "Learning to use a Lathe" Journal  (Read 12927 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: My "Learning to use a Lathe" Journal
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2017, 01:38:50 PM »
Another way to lay out six holes on a flywheel is to take a piece of hex stock and turn a tenon to fit the central hole in the flywheel.  Loctite or superglue it in place and use it as a locator in the mill vise to orient the wheel.  After the holes are drilled, unglue the wheel with heat.

To mark out the six holes i always use the three jaw chuck jaws as datum points and use the cross slide to scratch the datum points . then remove from the chuck and centre pop then proceed from there......I have a piece of steel to insert between the lathe bed and each chuck jaw in turn.....

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2017, 08:36:02 PM »
That is a pretty cool little Gyroscope!
Completely agree - there's nothing like the feeling of making something like this with your own hands and seeing it work!
Kim

Offline Brendon M

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2017, 12:37:18 AM »
Thanks Kim, its a great learning project too. And it also makes a great ornament on my desk at work. Certainly a conversation starter!

I look forward to remaking the flywheel with brass, and I have a few ideas how to tackle the problem of gripping the small diameter rod in the 6 inch 4-jaw chuck
(This signature intentionally left blank)

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2017, 09:04:35 AM »
Excellent  :praise2: Finishing something that works is always a good feeling  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Brendon M

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2017, 07:13:01 AM »
Thank you Roger!

I think after tackling a few miscellaneous jobs, I will start thinking about a simple stirling engine.

On the cards:
  • Finish that pen project
  • Repair my shimano nexus 8 speed hub
  • Convert my hand powered coffee grinder to electric powered

The last one is certainly going to be the most entertaining. Eventually the electric motor may be replaced by something else!

Offline Brendon M

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2017, 11:51:28 AM »
Hello again, short post this time

I managed to correct the spindle accuracy by using a custom "holder". The holder was made using a piece of drilled out bar, and then hacksawed in half. The hacksawing was not accurate in any way, but as long as I assembled the two halves in the same direction, it had no problem holding the 1/4 inch rod in the 6 inch 4 jaw chuck.

And then I was able to get the runout to 0.01mm. After recutting the tapers, the spindle spun freely in the bearings!

Unfortunately, the gyroscope still has a vibration, caused by the fact that the 6 holes were not all drilled equidistant  :facepalm: only way to fix that is to remake the whole flywheel again.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal