Author Topic: (re)building shop  (Read 3265 times)

Offline b.lindsey

  • Global Moderator
  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 12248
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: (re)building shop
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2017, 01:33:39 AM »
Nice looking lathe Walt. Those pull out drawers under the lathe tray will certainly come in hand too!!  Keep us posted on your progress.


Offline wdeputy

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 44
Re: (re)building shop
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2017, 03:53:35 AM »
Hi Bill.  The top drawer is about half full of holders for the QCTP.  It’ll be a very handy place for the commonly used tools and such.
I made a few minor changes on the machine.  The gib screws were slotted head with jam nuts.  They were replaced with SHCS.  The ends of the new screws were ground to match the originals.

Gib Screws by D Carson, on Flickr

The front gibs (referred to as “press plates” in the parts book) were held in by some screws that were loose fitting in the saddle.  There was also a carriage lock (“bridled press plate”) that was just to the side of the right-hand gib.  That piece was very loose and would likely torn out of place during use.  Access was also tight as it was right next to the cross slide.  This shows the pieces sitting in their respective positions but on top of the saddle.

Original Gibs by D Carson, on Flickr

I made new gibs and a new lock plate.  Both sides were replaced and the #10 screws fir the holes nicely without modification of the saddle.  The position of the gib and lock plate were swapped on the right side of the saddle.  A slide-handle bolt was made so the carriage can be locked without the use of a tool.

New Gibs by D Carson, on Flickr

Everything was made from MOH (material on hand) thith the exception of the SHCSs.  A few other minor things, a good cleaning and lubing, addition of a DRO and we’re ready to make swarf.

Ready to Cut by D Carson, on Flickr

Looking at the chip tray, the lathe is bolted to two pads that sit about an inch above the tray.  Those openings and the area at the bottom of the casting looked like perfect habitat for shop gnomes.  I could envision parting off something and having it disappear in there forever, or until a replacement was made.  Some dense foam lying around solved that issue.  Now, onward.  Hopefully, a new milling machine this fall.

Gnome Guards by D Carson, on Flickr