Author Topic: Engineering with fabric  (Read 5444 times)

Offline packmule

Engineering with fabric
« on: November 03, 2016, 09:39:27 AM »
Had a break from building my Minnie and went back to my roots and restored this gents Victorian spoonback chair. It is as it would have been originally with the exception that l've used staples instead of tacks and thin polyester sheet  (dacron ) under the velvet.

If there is interest I have pictures at different  stages and will post.

Offline packmule

Re: Engineering with fabric
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 10:39:44 AM »
Only posted 1 picture for some  reason .Here it is finished.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 03:21:44 PM »
I would definitely like to see more pictures and how you went about doing it......

Don

Offline packmule

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 10:29:17 AM »
Hi Don,
Thanks for your response, I'll try to keep it as brief as poss.

Firstly I can take no credit for the French polishing, that was done by a friend who I used to work with.
The arms simply have 2 jute webs for support covered with 12 oz hessian  ( modern equivalent is a piece of cardboard ).

Then using coir fibre which is teased out to remove any lumps, is held in place with loose stitching using linen thread. As you can see the amount you have to use looks way over the top but it reduces as you stich in .There is no set amount to how much you use it is gained from experience and practice.
Once the fibre is in place it is covered with more 12oz hessian and fastened to the frame and should not be pulled to tight as you need the extra material to form  the edge and roll. Once this is done more fibre is added along with cotton felt to give a nice soft pad ,this is then covered with a 4oz polyester and is ready to be covered with top fabric.

This finishes the arms as obviously one is the same as the other

Bob

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 01:40:00 PM »
That's just awesome Bob do you have more pictures of the process? Very interesting stuff..... :ThumbsUp:

Don

Offline packmule

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 07:33:17 AM »

I missed a couple of pics off last post which are here :

Offline packmule

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 08:02:15 AM »
Part 2

One thing I didn't explain was the stitching.       The purpose of it is that you are forming a loop as large as possible beneath the hessian, when you pull it tight and knot it off it pulls all the fibre to the edge compacting the fibre giving a solid base to build up from. This way you can make a solid edge to any shape you need and increase the depth so you end up with a thicker arm, back or seat.

The back is a repeat of the same process. You can perhaps see more clearly the amount of fibre needed to get the required shape

Offline packmule

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 08:15:25 AM »
The back is padded the same way as the arms  with more fibre and wadding but more is added at the bottom of the back, this is to form a lumber support for your lower back. As you can just see on the previous photo the diamond buttoning is marked out on the hessian .Where the diamonds are the hessian is cut and with use of a strong digit the fibre is forces away forming a hole into which the fabric and button will go.

When fastening the fabric around the outside next to the wood it is always better to try to fold the fabric first rather the fastening and then trimming off the surplus, this avoids causing any damage to the polished woodwork. It is also easier if possible to use a soft fabric as a lot of the fabric in the UK is backcoated to make the fabric flame retardant and can be very stiff to use.

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 09:55:54 AM »
absolutely neat work, and brave too, on such a complicated furniture...congratulation !

I did that with a round piano stool some years ago, a very easy job I thought, but the folds of the fabric were so difficult to arrange regularly, it took ages to finish, and the wooden frame was fully dotted with nail holes and broken nails too, I'm not ready to start again, even if it looks so simple looking at your thread !

Offline packmule

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 12:46:22 PM »
Hi Zephyrin,

Thanks for your comment.
You shouldn't be put off by struggling as it really is a matter of practice.
With practice comes experience.  Treat it as you would machining ,you learn as you go, especially from those bits that end up in the scrap bin. ( I certainly have )

There aren't  too many people left that can actually do this type of work as all modern furniture is done cheap with foam, and poor quality materials on internals which you as a customer don't see that's where they save the money.     
A lot of upholsterers who make these suites and chairs may be fantastic at say fitting a arm but give them a seat and their lost as they haven't done it before. As you will know, to do it this way takes time and time is money so to do this commercially is a no no. So do have another go. I have taught at local college's over the years with a age range of 16 - 60  all enjoyed producing that first piece and some even took it up for a living.

Regards,
Bob

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 03:21:10 PM »
Bob I do appreciate you taking the time to post this. I did some upholstery but nothing to match this. Beautiful craftsmanship and I applaud your efforts....... :praise2:

Don

Offline packmule

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 10:06:40 AM »
Hi Don,
           Thanks for following and kind comments. I must admit its been a few years since I have restored a chair using original techniques But I did enjoy it.

The seat is webbed using a better quality black & white webbing which is better quality than the plain jute. This is due to it having to endure more stress as it will be taking all the weight. It is interwoven to give it more support and strength and pulled as tight as possible using a block of wood or a  web stretcher.
The double cone springs are then stitched to the webbing in either 3 or 4 places per spring, double knotting on the last one of each just in case it should snap, don't want is all coming undone.
The springs are then tied mid way front to back and side to side as can be seen in the photo. You may notice that the front springs are also tied from the frame to the top front edge angleing the spring forwards. This is so when you sit on it the spring becomes straight, if left upright as it is when you sit on it, it will turn inwards to towards the middle which will distort the spring causing it to eventually break and be uncomfortable to sit on and appearance of the  seat will be spoilt.
Once done more hessian is added and fastened to the frame  and again the springs are stitched to it. Fibre is then added as it was for the arms and the back and more hessian on top which is fastened off and a built up edge and roll top stitched in . Once these edges are stitched are in they are extremely solid and are equivalent to a piece of wood in firmness. Finally more foam and wadding are added and covered with polyester and it is ready for the top cover. Once fitted  hessian is stapled  on the outside of the frame and polyester is sparingly stapled in place ,this is to take away any irregularities  and lightly padd. The outside covers can then be fitted along with hessian on the bottom to hide everything there. All that then remains is to glue a braid to match the fabric around the edges next to the polished woodwork using hot melt glue and the have a nice beer/ whiskey and either  sit in your new throne or simply admire your efforts.

I hope that this has given you a insight into how much work actually goes into even just a chair of this size . Now you know why reupholstery done properly can be quite expensive.

Thanks for following,
Regards
Bob

Offline RayW

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 11:31:57 AM »
This brings back many childhood memories for me. My dad was a professional upholsterer and I remember him working on chairs like this and sofas in our garden shed. He would hold a mouthful of tacks while using his homemade web stretcher to pull the webbing tight before tacking into position with his special tacking hammer, which I still have. On occasions he would finish the job off with decorative braiding held on with gold coloured fleur-de-lis headed tacks.
Ray

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 06:41:29 PM »
Very informative input in this thread, thanks to share all these technics...
This is due to it having to endure more stress as it will be taking all the weight.
all the weight, yes I see what you mean...
I do have an armchair to overhaul, a morris armchair, only the seat and the footrest must be redone the backrest is a sort of cushion, not linked to the frame. it looks simple...

Offline packmule

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2016, 11:57:43 AM »
Hi Zephyrin,

if yiou want to pm me or just post a picture l will see if i can help you with a easy way of tacking  your chair.

Bob

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2016, 09:18:39 AM »
Wow, this is very kind, my project is not so ready, the wife has to decide for fabrics colour, If "we " decide for leather, it is certainly not a job that I could do...

Offline packmule

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 09:55:22 AM »
Leather shouldn't cause much of a problem,just don't buy one that is too thick.It needs to be nice and supple.
Its only another type of fabric.The only time it becomes awkward  is if its deep buttoned and thats only because you're puncturing holes in it so you have to be right first time.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 10:07:57 AM by packmule »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal