Author Topic: Good quality 3-jaw chuck from Ebay  (Read 9728 times)

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
Good quality 3-jaw chuck from Ebay
« on: October 27, 2016, 11:40:44 PM »
I ordered one of these 6" 3-jaw chuck's from toolprecision on Ebay 3 days ago and it arrived today.  I have no affiliation with this vendor but I'm quite pleased with the chuck, so I thought I'd say a few words about it for anyone contemplating a similar purchased...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272014767790?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Both parts were nicely finished and covered with a thin coat of very light oil which wiped off easily.  It included the chuck, a 2x2-1/4 threaded back plate, the socket head cap screws and an allen wrench for changing the jaws.  Some machining was required to fit the back plate to my lathe and to the chuck.  First, I had to enlarge the ID of the unthreaded portion that registers on the spindle of my lathe.  The spindle is 1.282" diameter and the ID of the backplate was about 1.275, so I had to take about .007" off the bore ID.  I also lightly faced the end of the back plate that butt's up against the flange on my spindle.  Once I had it nicely fitted to the spindle, I mounted it so I could finish the face.  First I took a light facing cut across the outer portion of the face which butts up against the back of the chuck.  Next I faced off the inner portion of the back plate that fits inside the chuck.  I had to take about .020" off as it was high on one side.  Finally, I turned down the outer diameter of the registration disk that slides inside the chuck.  The inner diameter on the chuck was about 5.115" and the OD of the disk was about 5.195" so I had to remove about .080".  I managed to get a snug, sliding fit so the chuck is now nicely fitted to the lathe.  I tested the runout with a 1/2" ground steel bar and found it to be right at .001".  Feel like I got a good piece of kit for the price.

Chuck
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 02:59:49 AM by cfellows »
So many projects, so little time...

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
Re: Good quality 3-jaw chuck from Ebay
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 11:54:32 PM »
Nice bit of kit! That's how I like them; material left on for final fitting.

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 12:02:20 AM »
That is certainly an attractive price Chuck, please keep us posted as you begin using it some.

Bill

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 12:14:12 AM »
Goodonya Chuck!!!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 08:56:43 PM »
Dang, I can't walk by this thing without stopping to admire it...

Kind of makes me wonder what a whole new lathe sitting there would look like...

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 09:29:10 PM »
Now that's very interesting, Chuck. I've been thinking about getting a top jaw chuck so when you popped up with this one I had a look. I liked. I bought one!

It's your fault.... :lolb:

Pete
Retired, finally!

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 05:31:20 AM »
Now that's very interesting, Chuck. I've been thinking about getting a top jaw chuck so when you popped up with this one I had a look. I liked. I bought one!

It's your fault.... :lolb:

Pete

Sorry... Just take your time fitting it to your lathe, you'll like it!

Chuck

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 06:38:51 AM »
Oh yes, I do tend to take my time with that sort of thing.

Did you know that the eBay listing is from Frank Fan at CDCO? I though the address (Schamberg, Ill) looked familiar so sent him an email. He doesn't offer that combination of chuck and back plate on his web site, only on eBay....   ????

Pete
Retired, finally!

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 03:54:40 PM »
No, guess I don't know Frank Fan and am not familiar with CDCO.  Does your lathe also have a 2.25" x 8 tpi threaded spindle?

Chuck

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 04:22:21 PM »
No, my lathe (SB 10K) has a 1 1/2-8 spindle nose.

I won't claim to know Frank, only that I've spoken to him on the phone a couple of times. He runs a pretty straight up little operation importing Chinese tools and tooling. He keeps the quality up, his stuff doesn't look like the usual I see so I suspect he is fairly picky about what he selects. I've never had a disappointment yet anyway.

http://cdcotools.com/

Pete
Retired, finally!

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 03:52:05 PM »
Thanks for the link Pete.   With the demise of Enco, finding decent tooling at a home shop affordable price is becoming more search intensive.  I'm going to give them a try.  I need some extra tool holders and I can't buy decent stock and make my own for what these are sold for already machined.  I may also fill out my pin gage set up to 1.00" . There is also a 5" sine vise that looks appealing(Vern :stir: :stir:) They say that the first step to a cure is admitting to the problem: Hell no I ain't addicted to tools  :lolb: :lolb:

Cletus

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 04:12:44 PM »
Please let us know how you make out with CDCO, Cletus. The more info we have about a supplier the better. I've bought two AXA sized tool posts and about 24 holders and all are just fine. Well, one holder the dovetail was a tad tight but a quick session with a stone fixed that!. What else... a boring head and bars... a couple of gage snugs... I guess that's about it. All very good. And then the new chuck and also the index plates for my RT (which came to me from a garage sale), so we'll see about those when they get here!

My ER chuck and collets came from this supplier:

http://stores.ebay.com/YSTOOL?_rdc=1

and I must say the quality is really good!

Anyway, keep the dirty side down,

Pete
Retired, finally!

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2016, 05:36:50 PM »
Stefan Gotteswinter has a nice video on YouTube about improving a Chinese 3-jaw. Worth a look

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKnvZnxXRaY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKnvZnxXRaY</a>
Best,
Stan

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2016, 04:38:42 PM »
Okay, order placed with CDCO this morning. I'll have to say that the shipping seemed high  :shrug:  We will see how long it takes to arrive.

Cletus

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2016, 10:49:37 PM »
I promised Pete that I would report back on the CDCO purchase.  The order came within 4 days with everything ordered and no back orders.  The tool holders look really nice as does the 5" sine vice.  The pin gauge set is standard shop grade fare.  The pin set didn't have that layer of foam over top of the gauges and in transit they all or almost all,  spilled from their holes which led me into a Doubleboost tirade . When I came home Saturday after a near double shift,  I found that my darling Lou had sorted them proper.  That's a damn  good woman it is . I'll order again I will.

Cletus

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal