Author Topic: Incomplete silver solder joint  (Read 5313 times)

Offline Andersgj

Incomplete silver solder joint
« on: October 25, 2016, 10:31:12 PM »
I am making the boiler for my Tubal Cain polly engine now. One of the joints is leaky, i didn't get the silver to flow all the way around. Do i need to take the end cap of again, clean, flux and resolder or can i file a bit, flux and just redo that small part?

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Incomplete silver solder joint
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 10:39:20 PM »
In my experience it's best to clean throughly before trying to do a touch up. Use fast concentrated heat at the spot you wish to resolder and don't sit on it to long. Flux everything well again before proceeding. Reason for fluxing again is because the heat will try to melt the solder already there, so we want it to flow properly. I have had good results on reflow but problems can arise so be cautious and good luck. Again it all depends on your soldering skills also.

Don

Offline Andersgj

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 10:53:45 PM »
Thanks! I am a total beginner at structural silver soldering, but have done my fair share of silver and gold jewelry.
By cleaning up, do you mean pickle and then file the edges i can get to with a sharp file or were you thinking something else?

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 11:44:23 PM »
A leaky silver solder joint can be problematic to fix. The reason being when the joint was first brought up to heat and the solder was applied the area that didn't get solder sometimes burns and therefore trying to resolder won't work because of the 'dirty' surface. The best you can do is pickle the part and hope that the cleaning agent gets into that minute gap and cleans it up. As Don said I would then apply a liberal coat of flux and slowly bring the heat up. Keep the torch on either side of the area that didn't solder and when the temperature is right the solder that's already there should flow together. Adding just a little bit more solder won't hurt but watch to see that the original solder flows across the trouble spot. It it doesn't then it would be best to try and unsolder the entire joint and start over.
Good luck.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 09:11:02 AM »
yes cleaning up with files and dremel burrs will do it, but with light hands owing to the very thin sheet of this boiler !
 Usually we need more heat to melt already brazed silver solder, hence don't spare flux.

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 03:45:38 PM »
A pointed stainless steel rod to scrape at the area when it gets up to heat can sometimes help.
Regards,
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline Andersgj

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 05:28:31 PM »
Thanks a lot for good advice! I filed it (i has thicker material, so should be ok) fluxed inside and outside, heated, added silver and it worked like a charm.
I pressure tested it, no leaks when pressurized and submerged.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 06:26:54 PM »
Awesome!!!!

:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 11:58:28 PM »
Glad you got it sorted out, any pictures of the before and after?

Bill

Offline Andersgj

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 07:57:56 PM »
Glad you got it sorted out, any pictures of the before and after?

Bill
Sorry about the late reply, not much time to spare lately with kids and all.
Unfortunately i suck at taking pictures, so i only have a couple of the complete engine

Still some polishing left and applying some extra paint to the base.
I know it is not up to the level of others on this site, but i an happy with it for a first engine.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 08:24:24 PM by Andersgj »

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 10:11:22 PM »
That looks good to me  :praise2: You can certainly be proud of that as your first engine  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Andersgj

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 11:48:21 PM »
That looks good to me  :praise2: You can certainly be proud of that as your first engine   
Thank you!
I am proud of it! My wife is a bit tired of me polishing it, talking of it and running it.
It will be a Christmas present for my father who always had a soft spot for steam engines.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 05:58:24 PM »
 :ThumbsUp:

Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal