Author Topic: Hoglet engine to Model Engine Builder design  (Read 1614 times)

Offline Trevorc

Hoglet engine to Model Engine Builder design
« on: October 24, 2016, 08:51:17 PM »
Hello , I am about to start building the Hoglet engine to MEB design of few years ago. I have several questions
Is this a successful design which with a modicum of skill will actually run?
What is the general thinking about cylinders - the design uses all cast iron cylinders but what about aluminium with cast iron sleeve?
What is the general thinkng about use of viton O rings for pistn rings? Are cast iron ones to be preferred?
Finally the design of the flywheel puzzles me. Why is bronze specified? I guess it is because of the higher inertia  but brass would only be about 5% less. Is the design that sensitive to fkywheel inertia. Further i would like some advice concerning the assembly of the flywheel- the grip on the crankshaft sections and the crank pin is determined by the amount by which the central section can be flexed by the socket head screw- is this a reliable way of assembling the flywheel?
Thanks for any help and advice on above questions. Trevorc

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Hoglet engine to Model Engine Builder design
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 08:58:59 PM »
Yes quite a few running Hoglets about, maybe if I get round to finishing mine it will too.

I went with all CI but again have seen others with ali outsides and a CI sleeve

Again I have gone for the o rings but if building again would probably opt for CI rings which is what I usually use and most hoglet builders seem to get better results with iron rings.

Yes the bronze is heavier, brass may be cheaper but look at the hollow bronze as you are not paying for material that will end up as swarf, I use 4" nominal OD x 3" ID if I remember rightly, it comes a bit larger than 4" so you can get the finished size out of it.

If my crank slips I will add a light straight knurl and also extra slots.

Have a look at Nick_G's recent build thread as he departed from the plans for crank and flywheel.

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,5947.0.html

J

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal