Author Topic: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine  (Read 428357 times)

Offline steamboatmodel

Re: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine
« Reply #2190 on: October 12, 2017, 02:13:52 AM »

[/quote]
Its on my woodcarving todo list - needs to be wearing coveralls and field boots rather than t shirt and sneakers though!! You're right, would be a good spot to sneak in a cameo, not as sneaky as Hitchcock used to do but fun.
[/quote]
I would offer to do one for you, but with my woodcarving skills you would end up looking like Poppa Smerf.
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2191 on: October 12, 2017, 02:29:57 AM »

Its on my woodcarving todo list - needs to be wearing coveralls and field boots rather than t shirt and sneakers though!! You're right, would be a good spot to sneak in a cameo, not as sneaky as Hitchcock used to do but fun.
I would offer to do one for you, but with my woodcarving skills you would end up looking like Poppa Smerf.
Gerald.

:lolb:

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #2192 on: October 13, 2017, 01:07:52 PM »
Looks like you had fun trying the real thing at the show  :)  :)  :)  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline rspringer

« Reply #2193 on: May 31, 2018, 03:42:52 AM »
Is anyone interested in following a 2 inch scale Lombard.  I need encouragement.  I would start a new thread.  In the mean time can someone point me in the direction of how to make spokes for a sprocket.  Oh all of my elves got a suntan and turned into gremlins.
Thanks
Rod

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2194 on: May 31, 2018, 05:32:38 AM »
Is anyone interested in following a 2 inch scale Lombard.  I need encouragement.  I would start a new thread.  In the mean time can someone point me in the direction of how to make spokes for a sprocket.  Oh all of my elves got a suntan and turned into gremlins.
Thanks
Rod
Hi Rod!
As you know from our talks, I would definitely be interested in seeing the larger scale version of the Lombard model!!

For the sprocket spokes, the way I did it should be the subject of the next installment my article series in the next (July) issue of Live Steam magazine, taking the sprockets from single piece of plate stock to finished, using a rotary table on the mill. In 2" scale, that will be a large piece of metal. Another way to go could be to make up the individual pieces and weld or silver solder them together, though I would imagine the teeth would still need to be milled with a rotab or a dividing head. In the article it will give full details of the offsets and angles used, you would just need to multiply up the distances for the larger scale.

Another note - anyone reading this thread recently will know that the pictures all vanished when the photo host site (PostImage) suddenly changed their pathname due to a fight with the domain name gods. I was in contact with Ade (our wonderful forum host) about doing a global search/replace on the wording to get those paths changed in mine and others threads who use them (LOTS of posts). He is quite buried in his real job, and has not had a chance to get to it yet. I was just doing some experimenting, and found a Firefox plugin that helps do the search/replace - I still need to go through post by post with photos and fix them, but it gets it down to a few clicks each. I have done the last couple of pages on this thread tonight to test it out, so far so good. I am going to continue doing more posts in this thread plus my others (Marion 91, Shay builds), but it will take some time - can only do so much computer work at a time right now till my thumb tendonitis heals up the rest of the way (De Quervain's Tendonitis for the medically knowledgable). I'll be doing it in small batches, though if Ade gets the time he hopefully can finish the job at a global level, and earn himself a whellbarrow of cookies!   :atcomputer:

Anyway, Rod, hope you can start on your project, I'd sure like to see it!

Online sco

« Reply #2195 on: May 31, 2018, 10:51:01 AM »
Chris,

I used to suffer with a lot of thumb pain - I push a mouse around all day for work and what fixed it for me was swapping to a Evoluent Vertical Mouse: https://evoluent.com/products/vm4r/  Looks mad but it definitely works - something about the shape means it relieves the thumb of the job of gripping the mouse.

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #2196 on: May 31, 2018, 11:12:56 AM »
I'd love to see a 2" Lombard build. As I mentioned way back at the start of this I always wanted to build one and years ago I decided on 2" scale. Hope to see a new thread on it!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2197 on: May 31, 2018, 12:46:31 PM »
Chris,

I used to suffer with a lot of thumb pain - I push a mouse around all day for work and what fixed it for me was swapping to a Evoluent Vertical Mouse: https://evoluent.com/products/vm4r/  Looks mad but it definitely works - something about the shape means it relieves the thumb of the job of gripping the mouse.

Simon.
Thanks Simon, that looks very promising. I think a friend of mine has that or one like it, will stop over and give his a try and see how it works. That hand position should help a lot.   :ThumbsUp:

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #2198 on: May 31, 2018, 02:53:38 PM »
I'd definitely follow a 2" Lombard build if you do it!
Go for it!
Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2199 on: May 31, 2018, 09:20:14 PM »
Chris,

Simon.
Thanks Simon, that looks very promising. I think a friend of mine has that or one like it, will stop over and give his a try and see how it works. That hand position should help a lot.   :ThumbsUp:
Did some looking around, wound up ordering one of those. In the meantime, did an experiment with putting the mouse pad on an slanted board, even that helped a lot!
Got a start on fixing the picture paths on this thread, have about a quarter of them done, starting from the earliest posts and working forward. Rod - the ones showing the sprocket spokes are in there now, though the next issue of the magazine will have better details and measurements.

Offline rspringer

« Reply #2200 on: June 01, 2018, 01:59:12 AM »
Thanks for the pictures.  I was manually opening them.  A slow process. :pinkelephant:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2201 on: June 01, 2018, 02:13:06 AM »
Thanks for the pictures.  I was manually opening them.  A slow process. :pinkelephant:
No problem - hope to have the rest of them back online over the next week or so. Looking forward to seeing your build thread progress, and someday have your Lombard take mine for a ride!   :ThumbsUp:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2202 on: June 05, 2018, 07:07:15 PM »
All right - I think I have all the photos on this thread back in place, fixed all the links to the new path that Postimage is using. If anyone spots any missing ones still, please let me know which post they are in!

Offline rspringer

« Reply #2203 on: February 03, 2019, 03:26:30 AM »
Sorry to say but one of the most informative websites for the Lombard and other steam interest has been shut down.  http://www.depuffendeschoorsteen.com/

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #2204 on: February 03, 2019, 01:38:03 PM »
Thats too bad, looks like I will have to do some downloading!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal